Official Review: The Empress and the Archer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: The Empress and the Archer

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Empress and the Archer" by Erich Wildgrube IV.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Modern day and classic fantasy collide in The Empress and the Archer by Erich Wildgrube IV, the first book in this fantasy adventure series.

With the death of Velicorte’s beloved emperor, the land is thrown into turmoil for the first time in hundreds of years. Leeta Shepard is the empress-to-be, but threats stand in her way—namely evil druids and the goblins aiding them. Her only hope lies with the “Archer of Queen City.”

Meanwhile, in a modern-day place remarkably like Earth, Henry Ian Daniels works at his dad’s movie theater, crushes on one of his best friends, and does archery as a competitive hobby. In short, he leads a pretty typical life. Is that about to change? Is he the “Archer of Queen City” Leeta must find? Will Leeta stay ahead of the goblins hunting her long enough to find him, if he’s even the right guy?

I really enjoyed Velicorte. It’s one of those fantasy worlds I feel like I could get lost in for hours. There are grand forests and vast seas and talking animals. Add in the nasty druids and multiple goblin clans, and there’s adventure waiting to be had around every corner. Though there’s a formality to the place, there is also quite a bit of fun. Even though he’s one of the bad guys, I felt a little bad for the demon who was forced to speak in rhyme.

Opposite Velicorte, there’s Earth (or a place that’s like Earth). This place also felt real. Henry’s life is so basic, but he makes it interesting. I particularly liked his relationship with Dinah, his crush. Like Velicorte, there’s a certain formality to this part of the story, too. For me, the formal dialogue didn’t work as well for Henry and his friends as it did for Leeta’s crew. This sometimes pulled me out of the story, but I was usually able to get back into the flow without too much trouble.

While the formal dialogue didn’t trip me up too badly, there were some other things that persisted in pulling me from the action. The first is the sheer number of characters. In a book with two separate stories going on, it shouldn’t be too surprising that there’s a large cast. Unfortunately, I found there to be more characters than I could easily keep track of. The people immediately around Leeta and Henry weren’t so bad, but once I got into all the goblins, druids, and many side characters who would come into the story, die, and never be heard from again, I got lost. There are many fantasy books that employ this form of storytelling, so readers who don’t mind it would probably have no trouble. If you’re like me, you may find yourself confused.

There was also the POV. I wouldn’t quite call this third-person omniscient. Rather, it’s more like third-person close, but it’s close to almost everyone who walks by. The narrative jumped back and forth to different characters’ thoughts without breaks or indication that the POV was moving. As a result, I had a tough time keeping track of who was thinking what. Again, this may not bother all readers, but if you dislike this type of writing, you may find this book difficult to follow.

There were grammatical errors throughout the book, mainly missing punctuation. Due to this and the amount of trouble I had keeping track of the characters and POV, I rate The Empress and the Archer 2 out of 4 stars. There is a great adventure in here, which is why I didn’t rate this 1 star, but a few more rounds of revision are needed before I would give this 3. I recommend this book to fans of classic fantasy who don’t mind a little modern twist in their stories. Those with an interest in archery may find Henry relatable and also enjoy this book. There is a bit of violence but nothing graphic. This book is suitable for both teen and adult audiences. If the large cast of characters and POV switches wouldn’t bog you down, journey to Velicorte for a fantastic adventure.

The Empress and the Archer
View: on Bookshelves

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You lost me at formal dialogue and number of characters. I'm not sure that's completely unusual for a fantasy, but it does get overwhelming for the reader. Thanks, but I'll pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

This seems a bit overwhelming. I wouldn't mind a different concept all together but then it has to be well done. According to your insightful, and I must say detailed, review, this doesn't seem to be the case.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I also do not like to be overwhelmed by a plethora of characters in a book, but the adventure through both fantasy and modern settings does sound quite interesting.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Hooty123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hooty123 »

I actually think I will check this out. I just got done reading Game of Thrones, so I shouldn't have trouble keeping more than two characters straight. lol
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I was going to give this a try, but the randomly switching POV has changed my mind, much as I may appreciate books written in third-person. Thanks for the heads-up.
Sun_shi_nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sun-shi-nii.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by Sun_shi_nii »

Interesting world of fantasy!
Well, errors could be fixed. The important thing is that the story has a heart.
A ray of sunshine to enlighten your day especially in the gloomest of days. :P :P :P
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

Sounds like a great story, but very confusing. I love fantasy so I think I'll read it anyway.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

A demon antagonist forced to speak in rhyme? Now that's what I call originality! Wow, I can't imagine how that would work but I'd say the author had the time of their life writing it.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

This is a very well written review. I definitely agree too many characters can be overwhelming if they are not distinct enough from each other.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Definitely not my kind of fantasy.I think i will pass.However the review was thoroughly done.Thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
OzavizeB_247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by OzavizeB_247 »

This was a thorough review. I just feel like I got a bit lost with the various characters whilst reading the review. Although I love fantasies but I think I'll just pass on this one.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

It sounds like this could be a good read for fans of Tolkien and other classic fantasy writers who tend to have highly developed worlds and large casts of characters.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Readers can't take a demon seriously if you feel sorry for him! I agree with your comments about the overload of characters in a story. I think I'll avoid the confusion! Thanks for your candid comments about his book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”