Review of Wall of Fire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Review of Wall of Fire

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wall of Fire" by Melanie Tays.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Outside the walls of The City, there's a raging pandemic. A dome protects its residents, but there are two sections. Those in the Smoke are assigned more menial tasks and have fewer privileges than those in the Flame. Once you reach the age of seventeen, you can apply for a place in the Flame by going through a series of trials called the Burning. However, fail and you'll be sent outside to the Ash.

Emery Kennish lives in the Smoke. She has a hard life, but it's all she knows. She would never risk being sent to the Ash by going through the Burning. Unfortunately, her brother, Whyle, gets sick. He needs Curosene, but it can only be found in the Flame. Will Emery be able to save her brother? What will she find out about the world she's always known in the process?

Wall of Fire by Melanie Tays is a dystopian novel along the lines of Hunger Games or Divergent. With no profanity or sexual content, the book is suitable for young adults. There is, though, a cliffhanger ending that is sure to leave you thirsting for more.

Emery tells us her story herself. While the present tense can be disconcerting for some, I enjoyed the mystery of only knowing what Emery knew. Guessing what would occur next is part of the fun of the novel.

There is a mix of characters in the novel. Some are good; some are evil. There are even those that you think are good that turn out to be bad. However, even when you find out they weren't what they seemed, you wonder if they might redeem themselves in the end. It's this constant uncertainty that makes the book realistic. In life, people are never just good or bad. There's always a duality. When authors can achieve this in their books—as Ms. Tays does here—the characters are that much more relatable and enjoyable.

My favorite aspect of the book was its fast-paced nature. The action starts almost from the first page, and there's no time to get bored. I also enjoyed exploring this new world. Though so much is different from our everyday life, there were enough similarities that I could picture what was happening.

The only downside of the book was that it was quite similar to other popular dystopian novels. The plot always appears to be centered on some virus that changes the world and a corrupt ruling power. However, isn't that the nature of this genre? It did not diminish my enjoyment of the book, and I can't fault the author for writing within such a specific genre.

Because I enjoyed the book so thoroughly, I rate Wall of Fire 4 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally well edited; I found no error within its pages. I recommend the book to those that enjoy mostly clean dystopian books with a bit of romance thrown in for good measure. If you prefer standalone books, you might want to skip this tale.

Wall of Fire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I like the theme of using words associated with fire. Now I wonder why that is. I agree that multifaceted characters are the best and the most realistic because there is always more than meets the eye. I would definitely like to read this novel!

Thank you for another great review!
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

This sounds like a book I would love. I could use some fast-paced fiction right now. Thanks for the review!
-Amy
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The book 'wall of fire' is a must-read for me, because it has a lot of character and seems to be a fiction book. I commend the reviewer for reviewing this amazing book.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 23:11 I like the theme of using words associated with fire. Now I wonder why that is. I agree that multifaceted characters are the best and the most realistic because there is always more than meets the eye. I would definitely like to read this novel!

Thank you for another great review!
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Oh yes! The book is wonderful. I highly recommend it. I hope you enjoy! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

asteel18 wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 10:03 This sounds like a book I would love. I could use some fast-paced fiction right now. Thanks for the review!
Then you'll enjoy this! It's wonderful. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

collinsogw555 wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 12:28 The book 'wall of fire' is a must-read for me, because it has a lot of character and seems to be a fiction book. I commend the reviewer for reviewing this amazing book.
It's interesting. I highly enjoyed it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Havery Bonnie
Currently Reading: The Black Problem In America
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Havery Bonnie »

Nice Review, the review describes most of the scene and characters in Divergent as mentioned. It makes the book interesting.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Well, yesterday was an interesting time. I read the first book and loved it so much I read the second in the series and now I've started the third. My life is not my own right now...
-Amy
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Havery Bonnie wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 00:08 Nice Review, the review describes most of the scene and characters in Divergent as mentioned. It makes the book interesting.
It's a fun and enjoyable book. You won't want to stop with just the first book, for sure. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

asteel18 wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 09:58 Well, yesterday was an interesting time. I read the first book and loved it so much I read the second in the series and now I've started the third. My life is not my own right now...
I'm glad you're enjoying the series. It's fun for sure. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Magnificent Review! I may have to check it out soon, though I do not know if it is in my wheelhouse of interest.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Dystopian novels are often similar to Divergent and Hunger Games. This would usually be a minus, but if you need a break, they're always pleasing to read. With the Corona pandemic, I think we'll find it easier to identify ourselves with the main characters.
Thank you for your review :)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Wesusa wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 16:41 Magnificent Review! I may have to check it out soon, though I do not know if it is in my wheelhouse of interest.
It's worth at least checking out. Not everyone enjoys this style. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

marba wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 09:16 Dystopian novels are often similar to Divergent and Hunger Games. This would usually be a minus, but if you need a break, they're always pleasing to read. With the Corona pandemic, I think we'll find it easier to identify ourselves with the main characters.
Thank you for your review :)
All dystopian books are somewhat similar. It's the nature of the beast. Still, I enjoyed this. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”