Official Review: The Monkey and the Maize by S Mosby Marble

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Monkey and the Maize by S Mosby Marble

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Monkey and the Maize" by S Mosby Marble.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Monkey and the Maize by S. Mosby Marble is a fictional story that follows the life of a monkey named Pete. Growing up in a small village known as the Community, Pete longed for adventure and wanted to see the world. But he still had a lot to learn about life and was fortunate to have parents that were willing to mentor him.

After the death of his father, Pete must take charge of providing for his mother and family. And due to the scarcity of maize, which was their most valued food crop, Pete and his family must search for greener pastures outside the Community. However, the struggle continued even in their new destination. And the experience seems to be preparing him for a greater purpose because an unknown calamity is on its way to wipe out animals like him. Will Pete be able to shoulder such an all-important responsibility? And is there even a way to save all the animals from this looming calamity? Please read The Monkey and the Maize to find out.

This 154-page book is an allegory that would teach young adults how to become better individuals and leaders. The author intends to help readers understand the values they need to develop to become the kind of leaders we need in the world today. What I like most about the book is its relevant message in today's society. I particularly liked the author's message on humility, service, and integrity. The book's message revolves around the five roots of life, which, according to the author, are faith, family, fellowship, food, and forgiveness. Through the events in the book, I learned life lessons on management and selfless service.

I enjoyed the entries that Pete made into his journal throughout his journey. I must commend the author for using Pete's journaling to summarize the points in the chapters. It helped me to get a clear picture of the author's message and teachings. More so, some of the journal entries were very inspiring, which I really liked. One such example is, "Confident leaders bestow respect and endorsement on the ones they develop. Encouraging success through others is oftentimes more rewarding than personal accomplishment." Isn't that inspiring?

Furthermore, I enjoyed Mr. Marble's writing style and the story's characterization. His narrations are easy to understand and follow, and I think it suits the target audience. The author's descriptions are graphic, and his narrations are also suspenseful and well organized. More so, the main characters in the book are well developed. But what I enjoyed most is that the author didn't waste time on the backstories of characters that didn't add much to the plot. As a result, I could easily keep up with all the characters in the book.

To conclude, I didn't dislike anything about the book. It helps that the book is also exceptionally edited, as I didn't find any errors in it. Therefore, I am glad to rate The Monkey and the Maize four out of four stars. It deserves this rating for its inspiring morals, suspenseful narrations, and exceptional editing. I highly recommend this book to young adults who wish to learn the basics of management, selfless service, and leadership through a fascinating fictional allegory.

The Monkey and the Maize
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The story reminds me of Animal Farm; it is also an allegoric educational book. I would love to discover Pete's adventures, he seems like a courageous young monkey! Great review, as usual!
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I love allegories and am always happy to find a good one. This book certainly seems to fit my expectations. Thanks for another wonderful review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Another wonderful review! This sounds like an interesting read. I think a book like this would be perfect for young adults, as you mentioned.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

What a concise review! Kudos to you. When we have a parent ready to mentor us, life seems easier to live.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like an interesting story for young adults. Great review!
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

The title sounds like this book is intended for younger audiences but the allegorical theme reaches to young adults. I hope your review is widely distributed to get this book the recognition it deserves.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

I always love to read books with animal narrative, this sounds interesting, as well! good review
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

A book encouraging young people to become good leaders and individuals is definitely a worthy read. Thank you for the great review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

This sounds like a very interesting book and I would like to know more about Pete's adventures, given how high you rated this book. Thanks for such an eloquent and detailed review!
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

The book seems to be very interesting and, above all, educational. I agree with you, the quote you mentioned is definitely inspiring.
Can’t wait to read the book. I enjoyed reading your review, great work.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

The Monkey and the Maize sounds like a good read. I appreciate a book that encourages readers to reflect on their own values. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I love that it gives so many lessons for us to learn, but that it’s through the perspective of a monkey. What a fresh perspective. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”