Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Discuss the May 2014 book of the month Splintered by A. G. Howard.

How do you rate Splintered?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
14%
3 stars - good, recommend it
58%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
26%

Total votes: 69

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Post by Scott »

Please use this topic to discuss your overall opinion of the May 2014 book of the month. Splintered by A. G. Howard.

How do you like the book? What did you like most about it? What did you like least about it?

Would you recommend it to other people? Why or why not?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Took a little getting used to, but I liked the book. It was intriguing, a little creepy at times, though. I also got tired of the long deviations. I think I'd recommend it to others. I don't know if die-hard Alice fans would like it, but the modern twist would probably make it unique and engaging for most readers.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
DBarber0322
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DBarber0322 »

I really enjoyed this book. Incredibly creative story line. The author really brought me to Wonderland with just enough detail to envision the wonder, magic, tragic, erotic, and sometimes darkness of this book. The story has so many twists that it keeps your interest in the characters and plot. I found myself struggling with where I wanted Alyssa to end up. I loved both worlds and both of the male Heros. Never though I would find a black and blue Moth Boy attractive. I can see this becoming a movie one day. I give the book 3.8 stars.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

This is the first book of a trilogy. The second book has already came out and the third will come out on Oct this year. I am getting tired of trilogies lately as a matter of fact. That asides I loved the original Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures , so I was curios about this book. At first I was skeptical about the book and thought the author won't capture the spirit of the original book. Boy, was I wrong.

Imagine the mystical world of Wonderland was real? How cool is that??? This is the story of Wonderland with a twist. This is also a coming of age story which take place at unusual setting, to say the least. This is the story of Alyssa Gardner, a girl who hears the whispers of bugs and flowers. Apparently her mom suffered the same affliction and ended up in an asylum due to this. As the story goes on, we find out there is more to the story than talking with bugs. There is really a wonderland (oh yeah) as her mom claimed there was and it is much darker and twisted than the original world. Alyssa enters through the rabbit hole and what she discovers, will change her world. Family curse, quests, tea party, an evil queen and much more are some aspects of this entertaining story.

I really enjoyed the book despite the slow start. I enjoyed diving in into the dark world of Wonderland and being recalled of the original story. I am getting tired of love triangles though and wish the author would has skipped it. Apart from that the plot was engaging, the protagonist unique and likeable and the writing was good. The scenes were richly detailed and the story had some similarities to the original elements though with darker elements. I liked Morpheus, though he irritated me at times.

The twist in the end caught me off guard. I didn't predicted it at all! . The ending was also satisfying. While some things were left open, most of the threads were tied up. The book is geared towards young adults, but lovers of the genre will enjoy the book as well. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. It was a good book, but it had its faults.

Since I liked the book, I am now reading the second book. I am more than half way through and find it not as good as the first. The heroin still didn't enter Wonderland at this point of the story and most of the book she is just busy deliberating her steps and avoiding Morpheus. I wanted to shout at her to stop that thinking already and start moving! I don't think I will continue to the third book of the series, when it comes out.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I really liked this book at the beginning and in the middle. However once it got towards the end I was making myself read it instead of wanting to read it. The twist was good however I didn't feel interested in reading the second book in the series. I could see this becoming a good movie as well
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

I loved it! The characters were really punk/gothic and thats right up my alley I read the second book right after I finished the first though. Can't wait for the third to come out!
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
gali

Post by gali »

subzerowon wrote:I loved it! The characters were really punk/gothic and thats right up my alley I read the second book right after I finished the first though. Can't wait for the third to come out!
Have you finished reading the second book? I am towards the end of it and had to struggle through it. I found it a tad boring and skipped some parts. The end is interesting though.

-- May 2nd, 2014, 10:19 pm --

I have finished the second book and it ended with a cliffhanger! I may give the third book a chance just to see how it turns out.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Book-obsessed
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Graffiti Moon
Currently Reading: Opal
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-obsessed.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Book-obsessed »

It was a bit creepy at times but other than that it was great. The author brought Wonderland into a whole new light
Crap happens; it's inevitable, it's a part of life. You can't let it destroy though, you learn to be stronger and wiser through the crappy things that happen.
Bookworm0266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

I really like the comments that everyone is saying about this book and would love to read it. However, my local library does not seem to have it. Does anyone know where I can obtain a e-book copy for free?
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
Tianarenee3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

I surprisingly really liked this book. Not going to lie, at first the sole bug obsession idea was really quite creepy, and I thought the book was going to be an amateur setback, but as the pages went on I found myself very captivated by the characters and the story. No matter how devious Morpheus seemed for most of the book, he was one of my favorite characters! I also really appreciated the fact that the novel turned out to be not just a spinoff set book about Alice In wonderland but about acceptance and love and sacrifice. The way Alyssa and Jeb and Morpheus all grew as people who care for each other unconditionally was what really had me indulged. I didn't know it was a trilogy but now that I do I'll definitely be looking out for the other books. Can't wait to discover what happens next and who Alyssa eventually picks In the end!
luvmybooks619
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvmybooks619.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by luvmybooks619 »

when I first picked up the book to read, I really had a hard time trying to "get into" the story....but as I kept reading on, it turned out to be a pretty good book, even with all the twists and turns on the "Wonderland" original! I too felt like the bug obsession was really quite creepy, and did my best to finally get passed that and really into the story! I also enjoyed how the story brings together the nurturing of being accepted for who you are, learning how to love and to sacrifice for the ones that you love! At first I had my doubts, but I am glad that I got through those doubts and finished the story! In a way, I have become big fans of Alyssa, Jeb and even Morpheus!!! I would definitely like to read the trilogy now.....I am sure I will....I liked the book and would recommend reading it!!
vsc_vet_tech
Favorite Author: I have a few.
Favorite Book: Hard to narrow to one
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsc-vet-tech.html
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Reading Device: B005890FN0

Post by vsc_vet_tech »

I loved this book! I loved that it was not your typical "Alice in Wonderland" story. There were so many plot twists that it kept your attention. I finished it in 2 days(probably would have finished in one sitting, if I had the time!). I cannot wait to start the second book! I did also get the e-book novelet, "The Moth in the Mirror", that is from Jeb and Morpheus's point of view. That is next on my list to read! I am recommending this book to all my friends!!!

Also, loved that my book was printed in Purple ink!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
gali

Post by gali »

Bookworm0266 wrote:I really like the comments that everyone is saying about this book and would love to read it. However, my local library does not seem to have it. Does anyone know where I can obtain a e-book copy for free?
Can't you order the book from another library? I know the library can order the book for you if you ask them to.
A retired Admin/Mod

xoxoci
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoci.html

Post by xoxoci »

It sounds interesting
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Seems interesting. Not usually a genre I read, and the trilogy thing puts me off a bit, too. Is it a satisfying, self-contained story with resolution at the end, or does it make you read the second book to tie up lose ends?
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Return to “"Splintered" by A. G. Howard”