Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Discuss the May 2014 book of the month Splintered by A. G. Howard.

How do you rate Splintered?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
14%
3 stars - good, recommend it
58%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
26%

Total votes: 69

Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I haven't finished this book, I read a few chapters when I went to my aunties house last, I enjoyed it, but not enough to buy it for myself
So many books to read, so little time..
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
roxy1234
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by roxy1234 »

I loved this retelling of Alice in Wonderland for so many reasons. For once Alice ( or in the book Alyssa) is not the awkward and confused girl that we see in the original movie and other retelling books. I loved how Wonderland is dark, creepy, and amazing. this book never left the reader bored something was always happening which makes you want to never put it down. All the characters were relate-able and likeable. Overall the book was a great read and I cant wait for the next one.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

I didn't read Splintered when it was first listed as book of the month - I read it about two months after. I disliked it. I mean, I loved Howard's version of Wonderland, and its twisted characters even more, but I really, really, disliked Alyssa. The whole concept of the Red Queen coming into the human world to make use of children's dreams (to put it very simply) was actually very interesting, though, and I stuck with the book.

Now that I've completed the trilogy, I have got to say, the Splintered trilogy was worth sticking to. In the third book, Ensnared, we can see that Alyssa had really come a long way from a person full of self-denial and she grew into a worthy Queen of Wonderland. I think the 'resolution' of the love triangle between Alyssa, Jeb, and Morpheus was really awesome as well. Definitely the first time I actually liked an ending with a triangle. The world Howard created was wonderfully creepy and wrought with moral ambiguity, and I loved it!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

PashaRu wrote:Seems interesting. Not usually a genre I read, and the trilogy thing puts me off a bit, too. Is it a satisfying, self-contained story with resolution at the end, or does it make you read the second book to tie up lose ends?
I thought it tied up pretty well and it was a fun read. The only thing really left unanswered was the main character's decision about her romantic life, which leaves a cliffhanger in a good way and most likely leads into the next book.

-- 17 May 2015, 16:19 --
PashaRu wrote:Seems interesting. Not usually a genre I read, and the trilogy thing puts me off a bit, too. Is it a satisfying, self-contained story with resolution at the end, or does it make you read the second book to tie up lose ends?
I thought it tied up pretty well and it was a fun read. The only thing really left unanswered was the main character's decision about her romantic life, which leaves a cliffhanger in a good way and most likely leads into the next book.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

I never would have read this book if it hadn't been the book of the monnth. But I enjoyed it so much, I have since gotten the next books in the series and I look forward to reading them too!
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

It makes you read the second to tie up lose ends. It's an interesting take to a classic tale. I kind of want to read the rest of the series but reluctant to buy. May check my local library.
Crimsonsky 749
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: Artemis fowl
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimsonsky-749.html
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Crimsonsky 749 »

When I tried this book on a suggestion of a friend I did not expect to like it. Boy was I wrong, the beginning was boring, a date with the boy you like great whatever. I kept reading because I was a bit intrigued by a wonderland with a twist and once Alyssa found herself in wonderland the story got a whole lot better. You learn about A.G. Howard's creepy version of wonderland and who Alyssa's family really is. And unlike in the book this isn't a place you want to visit...ever. This wonderland is dark....much dark than the ones in the stories.
Sarcasm: The ability to insult idiots without them realising it.
Quote unknown.
Stop waiting for Prince Charming. Get out and find him. The poor idiot may be stuck in a tree or something.
Quote unknown.
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Crimsonsky 749 wrote: And unlike in the book this isn't a place you want to visit...ever. This wonderland is dark....much dark than the ones in the stories.
This is one of the most awesome part of Splintered, and one of the reasons why I read and finished the Splintered Trilogy.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Royal Bibliophile
Currently Reading: Falling Kingdoms
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-royal-bibliophile.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Royal Bibliophile »

Honestly, this book on it's own didn't have me in 'awe'. I love Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland which is the precise reason i decided to pick up this retelling in the first place. In Splintered Alyssa Gardner is a descendant of Alice Liddell, THE of ‘Alice’ from Lewis Carroll’s story. Have being said, being the descendent of a perceived crazy woman didn’t exactly fair well for Alyssa and her popularity among her peers. What they didn’t know was that Alice’s adventures were true. Unfortunately for Alyssa, Alice also upset the balance of Wonderland and it’s up to her to set things right if she’s to free the women of her bloodline from the curse that has caused the women in her family to be committed to a mental institution. Wonderland is a dark, twisted, rather creepy land full of fae and faeries, the common known wonderland phrase “… off with her head” as been given a whole new meaning in this land of darkness.
The story starts out rather slow but after Morpheus and Alyssa are reunited things take a turn for the more interesting. Morpheus is an inhabitant of Wonderland who Alyssa has known in some form or another since adolescence.
“I stare at the photo. It’s an image of a huge black-winged moth from one of Alison’s old albums. The shot is amazing, the way the wings are splayed on a flower between a slant of sun and shade, teetering between two worlds. Alison used to capture things most people wouldn’t notice—moments in time when opposites collide, then merge seamlessly together.”
I know some readers will look at Morpheus, Alyssa, and Jeb and see nothing but an obvious love triangle, but for me it was something different. Although Morpheus is manipulative and conspiring, I found him as a mysterious sexy bad boy that I couldn’t help but root for a times. Jeb on the other hand, even if he was intended to be the ‘knight in shining armor’ type, I still found myself kind of peeved with his character. Together they must reset the balance and right the mistakes once made by Alice and her time in Wonderland.
“Morpheus reaches out to catch a teardrop on his fingertip. He holds it up in the pale glow that radiates from the few remaining sprites above us. A curious frown curves his lips. “You cry for him yet bled for me. One must wonder which is more powerful. More binding. I suppose we shall one day know.”
Splintered’s world is a much creepier Wonderland than the usual silly Disney inspired wonderland most are use to, and some of that I got really into, while there were other parts that made me question my interest. Overall though, and thanks to the unexpected twist at the end, I do plan on reading the second book in the series to find out what happens next.
Dhouse13
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhouse13.html

Post by Dhouse13 »

I really liked this book and am currently reading the second one. I love Alice in Wonderland and found this twist on it a little creepy at times but also intriguing and fascinating. The characters were all so different from the original but in a way seemed to work.
Jazmin17
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmin17.html

Post by Jazmin17 »

I was eager to read this book as I am a huge fan of 'alice in wonderland'. The novel didn't re tell the story which is what I thought it was going to be bit instead was like a follow on. I have this book 3 stars as I do think people should read it. The story line kept me captivated and I enjoyed unexpected moments. Very compelling and I thought it was really creative.
VanessaB16
Favorite Author: Harper Lee
Currently Reading: Rivals In The City
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessab16.html
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
fav_author_id: 2399

Post by VanessaB16 »

I did like Splintered! I really enjoy those kind of fantasy spinoffs. This novel took a little getting used to, but overall i recommend it and enjoyed it! :D
"And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?"
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
MMariko
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmariko.html

Post by MMariko »

The book was well thought out and it played beautifully out. Although it was a creative spin off of Alice in Wonderland, It was not appealing to me. That's just my opinion. I'm not saying it sucked. It just was not my cup of tea. Most of the book was actually quite action packed and some of it got boring along the way. Other than that it was really good! I also really loved the characters and how their personalities are.
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I loved this book! I really enjoy fairy tale retellings and this one is one of the better ones that I've read. I really like that at some points it can be very dark and creepy because I don't get to see that a lot with young adult novels.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Return to “"Splintered" by A. G. Howard”