Overall Rating and Opinion of The Bone Season

Discuss the April 2014 book of the month, The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.

How do you rate The Bone Season?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
35%
3 stars - good, recommend it
44%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
19%

Total votes: 43

tgallahan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of The Bone Season

Post by tgallahan »

This easily had to be the most confusing book I have ever read. I kept reading hoping that things would become more clear. By the end of the book, I had a little bit better understanding of what was going on. I did end up liking the book and would like to read the next one when it comes out. I would just recommend to people to keep an open mind when you start reading it and to keep going because it will become less confusing.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

In some ways, it was lacking in introductory information. Even though it started slow, I don't think that it was descriptive, hence, confusing. Once I got past that, I breezed through it. I didn't realize there was a glossary till the end.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I honestly haven't finished it yet. usually when I don't finish a book it's because I either don't have time to sit and read it, or I don't like it for some reason. It's usually the latter. It's interesting so far, but I'm having trouble getting through it, and I'm not exactly sure why. I'm going to try and finish it though. I want to see how it ends.
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

I liked the plot,but it seemed to drag on. Also, there were times when I got really mad at the characters, but i was satisfied enough with the conclusion.
Kiki7138
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki7138.html
Latest Review: "Death Valley Scotty" by Robert Carter

Post by Kiki7138 »

I agree with most others. I was very confused with the terminology throughout much of the book and didn't find the glossary until I got to the end (read it on my kindle). Even so, I did find it entertaining and was impressed with the world the author created. I will likely read the rest of the series and am disappointed that I will have to wait for the next book to come out.
Latest Review: "Death Valley Scotty" by Robert Carter
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I finished the book yesterday and enjoyed it. I didn't find it confusing at all. It started a bit slow, but it picked up steam later. I will certainly continue to the next book. The world building was good, the premise was original and intriguing and the main character was a complex one. I liked the writing as well. There were parts that dragged on, but it didn't bother me.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Post by wendyj »

Good read. Wish I had the next one ready to go!
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid
QueenCat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queencat.html

Post by QueenCat »

This book was a great break from my normal reading. As with all good science fiction there was a connection to current culture in that government is not to be trusted because they don't always tell the truth. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, yet I probably won't read any of its sequels. It stood quite well on its own.

I would certainly recommend this and have already done so with other friends.
DBarber0322

Post by DBarber0322 »

I would have benefited immensely if the author would have written a preface outlining, in some detail, the world we were being brought into.
I was incredibly confused in the beginning. Like Scott, I did not realize there was a glossary to the book until i reached the end. However, I do not think the glossary would have helped too much. It wasn't until she got captured that i started to visualize some structure to the world Paige lived in. I still am not sure I understand it. The time periods kept jumping all over the place. Was this the future? I found myself liking the Warden more than Paige. I found her to be immature. The part meant to be the climax just did not hit the mark with me. I think the book could have been a great deal more than it was. I can see how the book is compared to Hunger Games and Divergent. I enjoyed the book enough to finish it but will not read a sequel if there is one. I give the book a 2.5.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I had a really hard time getting into it in the beginning. It felt kind of like reading the second book in a series without the first. It seemed like there was a lot of build-up, followed by somewhat anti-climactic events that provided the major plot points/twists, and then rapid fall-out from these before the next build-up. The author spends all kinds of time preparing you for major events and then seems to sort of rush through them like she got sick of thinking about them and wanted to move on to the next thing. Overall, it wasn't bad though.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

I liked the book and if it is part of a series that will be fine with me because I do love a good series. I read it because it was the Book of the Month. Glad I did because normally I would not read this genre. I like murder, mystery and mayham in my books so I had to get used to the pace of this one. Of course I will read the next book if there is one.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Ayakashi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayakashi.html

Post by Ayakashi »

I liked this book, but it's not one that I'd want to read again and again. I might check the second book out at the library or something, but I wouldn't buy it because I probably wouldn't read it more than once. over all, I gave the book a 3/4, because it is interesting and the writing itself is fairly good with interesting characters, but it doesn't stand out to me.
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Post by RILENTLISS »

I only read the first chapter, but would like to read more, and I'm considering buying it in the future. It was interesting, different, and like someone already mentioned here, a quick page turner. What drew me most was the way that supernatural d to fit a unique storyline.
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I'm just about done with it. I'm not as confused anymore; I'm able to follow the plot better now. but despite that I can't say I loved this book or anything. I just had a hard time getting into it, and the only reason i'm finishing it is because i'm curious as to how it will end. its likely I will finish it sometime tonight.
Jenhubb31

Post by Jenhubb31 »

This book was really hard for me to get into. I was not familiar with the character types so it was hard to like. I read the book because it was the book of the month, I had never heard of it. In the end I was happier than when the book began. I'm not sure if the characters the author used were new but a background into what they are in the beginning would be better. The descriptions used in the beginning were not helpful.

Return to “"The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon”