How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Ebook

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Connoisseur
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connoisseur.html

Re: How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Eboo

Post by Connoisseur »

Here are some additional ideas:

- Give away copies of your book to your local library and local independent bookstores. If your books sell well, the independent bookstores may want to reorder. Give them a good deal.

- Start a blog dedicated to your book's genre, featuring your book as well as other good writers' books in that same genre.

- Start a local book club or meetup group or writing group and make your book the topic book, among others (don't just promote your book, analyze it).

Those are all of my ideas for now...
Shadowplay
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowplay.html

Post by Shadowplay »

Great article! Lots of useful tips. I wonder if I can do the same with short stories. Offer a few for free and develop my own reading audience before I publish anything larger.
margaretmbrooks1

Post by margaretmbrooks1 »

The social networking sites are best option to promote the published book and stories
courtneyystorm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneyystorm.html

Post by courtneyystorm »

This was helpful, thank you.
Anya
Currently Reading: The Graveyard Book
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anya.html

Post by Anya »

I can't totally agree about the importance of a book to be good, and not simply well promoted...I've seen aroud some books that was very badly written...and still had a good amount of success... but I hope I am wrong! ( not that I'm sure the book I'm writing is really good..but let me hope!!!)
mari_maria

Post by mari_maria »

thanks! article is very informative!)
and do you have a good promotional sites? I want to help my brother, he is young author! and we can not manage without help :'(
thanks in advance!
b_carrigan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-carrigan.html

Post by b_carrigan »

Very nicely written, I would say you have hit it on the head on how to promote it.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Very informative! Thank you Scott!
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Alexatheauthor
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Alexatheauthor »

I used a service to review my book and I got one obscure review. I hate that people take advantage of writers who are just trying to get their work seen.

-- 05 May 2016, 09:18 --

I created a website on Wix to promote my books. That way, I have a place to showcase what I've written. When I make business cards, I will have the site established and that's what I think helps the most these days.
Alexa_Fernandez

Post by Alexa_Fernandez »

Hurricane John wrote:Promoting your eBook is definitely the hardest part of the self-publishing process. I've had several people read my eBook and personally tell me how much they enjoyed it, but only a small fraction of them will take the time to leave a review, even when asked to do so.

Thanks for sharing your insightful tips.
That's been the hardest part for me as well.
ssunshine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssunshine.html

Post by ssunshine »

Excellent article. I agree that is imperative to construct a book that is good. This is similar to marketing for various products in businesses. If the product is not quality then all the marketing in the world will not create sustainable interest from buyers. When writing a book, the content must be quality as well, so that the marketing efforts are amplified.
AishaTBN
Currently Reading: The Thousand Nights And One Night
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishatbn.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by AishaTBN »

Thanks for sharing these. It is very helpful.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
JudyJo
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyjo.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by JudyJo »

I know I only write flash fiction and have a limited number of ebooks, but in spite of KDP's free days promotions, I can't get anyone to leave a review for my stories. I let a friend of mine read a couple of my stories, and he told me they were very enjoyable, and that I should definitely keep writing. But he didn't download them, and probably doesn't know how to write a review on Amazon. If it weren't for his comments, I might have given up on writing altogether....

NAH! Not gonna happen! I would continue to write and self-publish even if no one ever gave me a review. Just because I love it so much! But it IS awfully nice to get words of praise from total strangers who've enjoyed your writing, isn't it?
melissamwolff

Post by melissamwolff »

I find other authors and readers that like my type of work to promote to. I also got myself a Personal Assistant to help me promote because of my lack of time. Find facebook groups who will help promote
mariapaton
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by mariapaton »

Very nice & impressive article you have posted

Return to “Writing Discussion”