Thoughts on self-confidence in writing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Eriina
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 4

Thoughts on self-confidence in writing

Post by Eriina »

Hi!

While I was researching some writing advice online, I stumbled upon this quote by an Irish author, Anne Enright. She says: "Only bad writers think that their work is really good".

I am very curious how you guys perceive the topic of self-confidence vs. self-criticism and whether a beginner writer should worry that he should never think good of his writing.

Thanks!
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I think in the case of self-confidence and self-criticism there needs to be a balance. If you have too much of one or the other it can steer you down a bad path. Too much self-confidence and you lose sight of any areas that could use improvement, which could also lead to a bad reaction when you are told otherwise. Too much self-criticism and you may find your self like me and not writing at all from the overwhelming desire for your work to be great but afraid it is the worst thing on earth.

Seriously though, pat yourself on the back for a job well done when your work is good, but don't be so hard on yourself that you can't find the motivation to write and see how it turns out when you find yourself on the opposite end of being confident.
Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khrysalis »

I've always thought that the art of writing is something for which the writer should never be satisfied. It's a very hungry, very thirsty art. The constant hunger forces the writer to keep climbing that hill, to keep improving, trying to add to the story, to make it better, to find the best well to tell the tale or to express the idea.

Of course, some of us get trapped in one of those refiner cycles, going around and around again editing and making improvements. I suffer from this a lot. Sometimes being too unsatisfied can be a detriment too.

I remember a long time ago I read an anecdote in a magazine. The writer relating the story said that when she was young and taking classes, she was unreceptive to criticism. She wryly admitted that she thought she was some kind of genius, and would never hear anything except praise or kind remarks. But she wasn't wholly deluded, as she began to notice that the bland praise was just a way of getting her turn out of the way so the class could move on. This wasn't at all helpful and she could never improve or grow. Eventually, her teacher tried a new approach with her. The writer was accustomed to mining her own life for inspiration for her stories. So the teacher started having her write pieces about people who were nothing like her. Like an old man, a person from a foreign land, a small child, a young father—people who had very different lives and experiences and goals and concerns. Writing pieces from these perspectives gave her great challenge—and she quickly realized she had many directions in which to grow. She was also humbled by how much response her new stories received.

I never forgot that story, or how it inspired me not only to take criticism but to ask for it. You are, after all, possibly your own worst critic.

In any case, I think that you shouldn't be afraid to like what you're writing, but also never be afraid to face the flaws as well.
“Truth wasn't something you went out and found. It was wide and vast and deep and unending, and all you could hope to see was a tiny part of it. And to see that part and to mistake it for the whole was to make of Truth a lie.”
― Margaret Weis
TLWoodliff
Currently Reading: No Pit So Deep
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by TLWoodliff »

Great question! I think it shows you really want to write well.

I look at criticism like a to-do list. "Oh, I need to improve there? Got it. Next?"

But it's a list that keeps growing, wrapping back around and will never end.

I SEEK criticism. I want to improve.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald

Post by eastandalchemy »

I think as artists we are constantly criticizing and improving our craft. It's important to have confidence in what you are doing, otherwise what is the point of moving forward? For me, if I dislike something that I've written, I'll put it aside and revisit a couple of days later. If I still dislike it and editing doesn't appear to be improving the piece, I'll file it away into my "ideas" folder. I believe everything I write has a purpose, so I try to not beat myself up too much. Sometimes it's all about timing and developing a new perspective.
WhiteLotus
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 1019
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitelotus.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by WhiteLotus »

I agree with TrishaAnn, there has to be some balance. I think by default artists of any kind are very critical of their own work, and to a point that's good because it allows for self-improvement, but it can also be a huge deterrent at the time of actually finishing stories or even publishing them once done.

It's not that beginner authors shouldn't have to worry about it, it's that they should be aware that this happens and try to overcome it not to get stuck.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I cannot attest to the accuracy of this statement, yet does the opposite mean that since I think my writing is poor it is therefore good??? Boy, that is a stretch.
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

The biggest lesson I've learned this year is that I will never improve if I don't surround myself with diverse reading material! Read everything! And DON'T ask everyone for constructive feedback! Find people whose writing and opinion you respect, and ask them for feedback. This is so important! If you only ask friends and family, you are much less likely to get honest and instructive opinions (unless they're an experienced writer or text analyzer themselves!). And trust me, learned writers are often eager to give others feedback.

If you're in college, make friends with an English or Theater professor. If you're in high school, find someone who knows an English or Theater professor! If you're out of college, reach out to an old English or Theater professor, or search around for people on online communities like this one!

Confidence is good, but it's best to be humble. Accept that your work is what is, love it for what it is, and keep moving forward to better it!
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I think self-confidence is more important for practicing, because a lot of writers self-edit too much to even produce a small practice piece (and practice is supposed to be a chance to be bad)

Self-criticism can be helpful when doing a big project, but I think asking the opinions of potential readers can be even more helpful.
arthurnottheking
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by arthurnottheking »

I never knew I lacked self-criticism until my Literature professor returned my poem all in red remarks and comments. It turned out I copied the style of the poem he read in class: it was "Comin' Thro' the Rye" (poem and song by Robert Burns). I didn't notice that. And more that that, I never edited my poems at all - not that I'm self-confident, my main explanation and principle is that I cannot change anything in a poem, because the moment (when it was being written) is gone and it's definitely not the same emotional status and the feelings may alter the whole meaning.
arthurnottheking

Post by arthurnottheking »

arthurnottheking wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 03:52 I never knew I lacked self-criticism until my Literature professor returned my poem all in red remarks and comments. It turned out I copied the style of the poem he read in class: it was "Comin' Thro' the Rye" (poem and song by Robert Burns). I didn't notice that. And more that that, I never edited my poems at all - not that I'm self-confident, my main explanation and principle is that I cannot change anything in a poem, because the moment (when it was being written) is gone and it's definitely not the same emotional status and the feelings may alter the whole meaning.
As I browse the writing chat forums, it seems to me there're practically no writers who feel like they are decent authors. Self-confidence is crucial, I'm sure, but self-respect is even more important, and it's obligatory to know who you are and how your writing style is illustrating your soul.
Arina Siaban
Currently Reading: The Course of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arina-siaban.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B01KWX0EL4

Post by Arina Siaban »

For me, it's like any other activity in life: the most important factor is to never base your assessment of quality by another person's standards. That is mostly where our insecurities reside, isn't it? In comparing ourselves to others?

The secret lies in avoiding constant comparisons, doing meticulous research, and writing a story that will move you (most importantly, you) forward. Never take constructive criticism personally or for granted, but gather as much of it as you can in order to improve your perspective of yourself. No first work is a definite work. Learn to live with imperfection, it is an essential part of life meant to serve as an impulse for progress.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

I agree with that statement to some extent, just for the simple fact that there is always, always room for improvement, no matter how good your work is. I still do think that a certain level of self-confidence and belief in your work is important though - even to just be able to share your work with others.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

If some one think he or she is a god writer, then, there's no need of an editing or a proof reading. But as far as writing is concern, there's no single book that I know who had not undergone an editing.
davidvan1973
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by davidvan1973 »

ElizaPeaks wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 18:53 The biggest lesson I've learned this year is that I will never improve if I don't surround myself with diverse reading material! Read everything! And DON'T ask everyone for constructive feedback! Find people whose writing and opinion you respect, and ask them for feedback. This is so important! If you only ask friends and family, you are much less likely to get honest and instructive opinions (unless they're an experienced writer or text analyzer themselves!). And trust me, learned writers are often eager to give others feedback.

If you're in college, make friends with an English or Theater professor. If you're in high school, find someone who knows an English or Theater professor! If you're out of college, reach out to an old English or Theater professor, or search around for people on online communities like this one!

Confidence is good, but it's best to be humble. Accept that your work is what is, love it for what it is, and keep moving forward to better it!
I agree completely. We need to seek out competent counsel to make our work better. My goal is to turn out the best story possible - so I seek help. I read about writing a lot and I read a lot of fiction also. I don't take critism too harshly because I know it will make the story that much better.

I also realize that this is a journey not a destination. I enjoy the process of writing and as long as I get joy from that I'll keep writing.

Return to “Writing Discussion”