Writing Goals

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Re: Writing Goals

Post by pretzelsnow »

I like to write a little bit every day(at least like three pages!)
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Okay guys, I have a new resolution (I am early for New Years) about my writing, and I am starting it as soon as I get back home from Japan. Keeping my 1000 words per day and writing reviews for every book that I read!
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Making some good progress on my new novel "Port of Blood" and now about 8000 words. Wrote 2 chapters today. Also I'm nearly finished with this one mystery novel I'm gonna review -- dreary book and I have to force myself to read it, hoping that it will somehow get better, but it will not, I'm certain. Now I have to try to write a "gentle" review that still tells the audience that the book is tiresome.

And I've got 3 more books to read and review, sitting on my "to do" table now.

Sidebar event was that for "Black Friday" I ventured out and bought a new HP color inkjet printer, set it up and it works great on my home WiFi, also set it up for my girlfriend's laptop as well as mine. So that took away from the writing. And a doc appt, and taking my gf for her flu shot, and so on. The real world intervenes.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
ia tonmoy

Post by ia tonmoy »

i couldn't understand anything.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

ia tonmoy wrote:i couldn't understand anything.
Pertinent to what?
jmeza10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmeza10.html

Post by jmeza10 »

My goal right now is write using proper grammar. I always mess up with it and thats what i want to improve on.
“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power" — David Brin
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

ia tonmoy wrote:i couldn't understand anything.
This made me laugh and I can't explain why.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

jmeza10 wrote:My goal right now is write using proper grammar. I always mess up with it and thats what i want to improve on.
Well, try this: the word should be "that's" (with an apostrophe) and the pronoun "I" should be a capital letter.

Let me try to make this absolutely clear: If you (or anyone else) submits a short story or novel or essay or whatever to an editor or agent or publisher, and it's full of typos and grammatical errors, the work will NOT be accepted. Period. Truth is, there are so many writers out there and so few venues, and competition is intense. Submissions with lots of typos or other errors are generally not given a serious "read" by the recipient. This is because there will likely be 100 error-free submissions on file to be considered. And editors or publishers will just ignore those with lots of typos.

So... you must be brutal with yourself and ferret out ALL mechanical errors meticulously before submitting.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

I want to finish at least twelve books in my lifetime, no matter the genre. That's what's currently on my mind right now.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

There's a saying that if you don't have a goal, you will end up like a goat. Lol! As funny as that may sound, it's true. Writing goals is very important. It gives you the impression that something must be done with a sense of urgency.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Goals are very vital in our pursuit for success in whatsoever we do in life. When we write goals, they help us utilize our day and time and help to propel us into achieving our dreams faster. Goals tell is what we must do to achieve those great dreams of ours.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

At present I have the goal to finish 1000pgs in a hundred days. 40 days have passed and only about 250pgs are done. I believe that this will help me with any hesitation I might have with beginning a writing project.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Writing Discussion”