Writing Goals

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
astralgirl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Writing Goals

Post by astralgirl »

Do you have any writing goals that you would like to accomplish? What are they?
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Give us some examples, please. What are yours?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
astralgirl

Post by astralgirl »

Well usually I try to aim for at least two hours of writing a day. Sometimes, I also give myself a deadline to finish a story or I try to write a certain amount of words per day.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

That sounds like a workable plan. For me, it's easier to work on a weekly basis. Since I write short stories, my goal is one a week and I reward myself at the end of the week. Often my opportunities to write are circumvented. I am easily side-tracked and will write an opening page of ideas which don't come to fruitition. Usually I don't wordcount and just freewrite, heavily editing afterwards. I keep an irregular diary and it mainly contains rough drafts. If I was writing a novel, I would map out a one-year plan and work on a monthly goal, perhaps a chapter a month. But penning a novel would mean no distractions and I can't see that happening for some time. I'm not as disciplined as you.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
astralgirl

Post by astralgirl »

I get side-tracked a lot too so I'll end up having to work on my writing near the end of the day. I like to word check because I think I might go on forever if I didn't check how many words I've written. Novels are harder for me. I lose track of where I want the story to go so I've never been able to finish one so far. Do you edit your stories right away or leave them to sit fora while?
Nhocngamy

Post by Nhocngamy »

ok i think so
frankyjee

Post by frankyjee »

its nice:)))) really good:)
the tiger fights

Post by the tiger fights »

A worthy goal is to complete your project. I've started many stories and for some reason or another I just never finished them. Maybe it was more of just dabbling, or maybe it was just being lazy, or maybe there wasn't enough time. Whatever the case, my suggestion is to finish your task. You never know what it is . . . until it's finished.
I just self published my first novel, "Vengeance Is Sacred." It is a historical fiction work that blends history, love, and the complexities of revenge . . . with the mysteries of the paranormal. For a guy who couldn't finish what he started, it stands at 359 pages and 160,000 words. My next goal is to sell some copies! :roll:
knk8188
Favorite Author: Jim Rohn
Favorite Book: The Five Major Pieces to The Life Puzzle
Currently Reading: The Seed by Jon Gordon

Post by knk8188 »

I heard an analogy that can be very much related to writing a book. If someone asked you to run a 10-mile marathon this very moment, most of us would say no. But if you could run a quarter of a mile today, and then progressed to an additional mile each month, do you feel you could run a 10-mile marathon in a year? Yes! So when you have a goal to write a book for example, a great writing goal would be to write at least 2-3 pages EVERYDAY! This is a daily goal that I have set for myself and continue to do, since it is now a habit! Take your goals, and break them down into smaller steps. You will more than likely achieve your goal much faster, without feeling overwhelmed.

Another example would be to write one article or blog every other day, or write two poems a week. Whatever you do, just start on something and make it a habit for yourself!
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

Usually I don't word count and just freewrite, very powerfully revising afterwards. I hold an irregular journal and it mostly comprises uneven drafts. If I was composing a innovative, I would chart out a one-year design and work on a monthly aim, possibly a section a month. But penning a innovative would signify no disruptions and I can't glimpse that occurrence for some time. I'm not as well controlled as you.
mouseofcards89
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Favorite Book: Notes From Underground
Currently Reading: Precipice
fav_author_id: 9263

Post by mouseofcards89 »

Five hours a day or 5,000 words, whichever comes first. Sleep is optional. Disconnect modems and phones. If you have other domestics, tell them to take a hike.
seobyindia

Post by seobyindia »

approach the world by forum Thanks for sharing Your Goal all of guys
threak17

Post by threak17 »

Four hours and 2,000 good words first thing in the morning. Seven days a week, no holidays, no excuses.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

I write daily. An hour in the morning. An hour in the evening. More if the muse visits...but never less. On days that are more challenging I use prompts to start...or go back through the pages I have written and edit.
thubley
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Favorite Book: Hard Times
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by thubley »

I set and reset goals all the time. I usually have a monthly target and then reset if I make it. I write every day even, even if only a few hundred words, whatever I can do with whatever scrap of time I get (between work and family). On my main project, for example, I want to close the month having added 15,000 solid words (edited at least once). I have 1,500 words to go as of this PM.

Return to “Writing Discussion”