Do you listen to music when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Re: Do you listen to music when you write?

Post by Harley-Panda »

I often do listen to music, it helps me to think more creatively. Also, because music can bring out nostalgic emotions I often try to match my music to what I would like to write because it gets me into that mindset.

One thing I can't do, though, is to listen to new music when writing. I end up focusing too much on the music and not enough on my writing. So when I do have music on it either has no lyrics or it is something I've listened to so many times that I don't need to focus on it.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
pre106-2
Favorite Book: Romeo and Juliet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by pre106-2 »

yes I listen to music most times when I write i get motivations, mostly inspirational songs.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I find music puts me in the mood to create, but admittedly my playlist is too short...I go through it every 2 or 3 days...
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I almost always listen to music when I write. My playlists are genre specific. For example, I listen to Celtic music when I write fantasy. I crank up the Punk rock or classic rock, for thrillers or horror usually. As for poetry, I usually listen to jazz.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

I always listen to music when I write. It's reached a point where I don't even think about not listening to music while writing. I don't find it a distraction at all (maybe because I listen to music almost all the time anyway, so I'm used to it).
chepshi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chepshi »

I like listening to music while writing, it doesn't distract me but it should not be too noisy.lodw pitch tone is okay.
Runningmama
Currently Reading: Passion
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Runningmama »

I have to be in the right mood. I love Hans Zimmer scores, so that is my default writing soundtrack.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

sometimes I do, but it depends on the stuff I am writing. Sometimes if I write and listen to music at the same time, my mind goes to the different direction and I got distracted.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

No, i don't like listening to music while writing. Because when I'm listening to music, I listening with rapt attention. And also while writing, I write with rapt attention. I can only listen to solemn music while reading- a fictional story book precisely.
ZShulfer
Currently Reading: The Storm Runner
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zshulfer.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ZShulfer »

For me, it depends. Some days, I can write easily. I guess it depends on what the music is and what the story is about. Other times though, music can be distracting. I might be writing and brainstorming, but my attention might be more on the music than the story. I think calmer music is better for brainstorming than high-energy music.
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

Runningmama wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 12:38 I have to be in the right mood. I love Hans Zimmer scores, so that is my default writing soundtrack.
I looove Hans Zimmer! Movie scores, in general are so good to, because there are rarely lyrics to distract you . Same with video games soundtracks and scores. :)
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

Music is almost a requirement when I read or write. I love listening to instrumentals, like movie or videos games scores, but I also like making playlists (or finding them) that suit the feeling of the piece I'm working on. Same with reading!
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I used to listen to music while writing. But these days I realize music chips off a part of my attention, so I just focus all my effort solely on the writing itself without any kinds of distraction.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

I find music distracting when I am writing. I rarely listen to it. I can block out most noise around me when I do creative or heavy concentration tasks, so when I can work in a silent environment, I do.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

I've listened to music while writing in the past, and sometimes find it inspirational, and in other cases find it distracting. In general, I like to keep my environment fluid while I write - change helps keep my mind open.

Return to “Writing Discussion”