Do you listen to music when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Booklover97
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover97.html

Re: Do you listen to music when you write?

Post by Booklover97 »

Music can be distracting. So I go on YouTube and search for sound of waves or rain and anything that sounds natural.
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

For me personally, it's all to do with mood. If I'm feeling particularly mellow then I don't mind music with lyrics but you know when you feel especially passionate about writing a certain scene? That's the only time when I absolutely cannot stand to listen to music.
hollirm
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollirm.html

Post by hollirm »

I can't really listen to music and write or read at the same time because I have ADD(Attention Deficit Disorder), which means that I have a really hard time staying focused and paying attention. So, music with lyrics is something I can not listen to while doing something that I have to focus on. If I'm writing and listening to music with lyrics, I write what I hear, if I'm reading and listening to music with lyrics, I cannot read at all. But, I can listen to instrumental music and write and/or read at the same time. Although, it of course, influences my thoughts about what I'm reading and what I write.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It sometimes helps the creativity flow if I listen to music while I am writing, but other times, the only music I want to hear is the sound of my fingers tapping on the keys of my AlphaSmart. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
nidhish

Post by nidhish »

Yes , I love music while writing ..but not songs ..just the simple instrumentals . they keep me focused and help me swim in the ocean of imagination . :P
Archie1791
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archie1791.html

Post by Archie1791 »

Sometimes, it helps me to concentrate. :)
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

I use Pandora and YouTube while I am writing always. I try to find songs that remind me of what the characters are going through to get the mood just right. I love it when lyrics fit the story and the characters.
lovebecka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebecka.html

Post by lovebecka »

No I do not, I like to write in silence, I get too distracted with music. I just want to be in a room by myself with my paper and pen...or laptop lol and write and write and write until I'm done. I like to keep my train of thought open for new ideas and silence definitely helps me concentrate on what I am doing and where I want my story to go.
AnaMae12

Post by AnaMae12 »

When I write I listen to classical music, no matter what genre I'm writing. I usually listen to something very soft and calm because it helps me think but it's also not too much of a distraction. :) Some of my favourite composers are Erik Satie, Philip Glass, and a few others :)
crazybookgurl213

Post by crazybookgurl213 »

I try but it seems like whenever I do I either: end up writing the lyrics instead of my actual paper, or I won't actullay be listening to the song.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I think music can actually help to inspire the right environment/mood.
I think the beat/tempo can help with inspiration and imagination.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
cvega93
Currently Reading: Rescuing America's Democracy From Its Collapsing Morality
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvega93.html

Post by cvega93 »

Most of the time I have to listen to music to be able to focus. I'm a ghost writer, so I'm on constant need to write and living in a house with 6 adults and nearly 4 kids it's almost impossible when the adults scream more than the kids do lol

I listen to rock or r&b, sometimes classical when the scene calls for it. It has to match the scene that's going on for me lol
icemech04
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icemech04.html

Post by icemech04 »

I can listen to any type of music when I write. The only caveat is that the music mustn't have lyrics. Further, it can't merely be an instrumental in which there are lyrics that I'm familiar with.

Otherwise my mind will be singing along on songs I know, and listening/meaning making with songs I don't.

Distracting indeed.
manchesters24h

Post by manchesters24h »

I don't want to listen the music when i am writing.
andy6kyu

Post by andy6kyu »

only classical music and not all the time as it disrupts my line of though.

Return to “Writing Discussion”