Which is Better: First Person or Third Person POV?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
colegrove
Favorite Author: Alan Partridge
Favorite Book: I Partridge
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 23513

Re: Which is Better: First Person or Third Person POV?

Post by colegrove »

I don't like reading modern-day works in first person, because it frequently comes off as amateur to me. It's far too easy to write in first person, since it's akin to a diary, but it's also far too easy to become long-winded and boring. Third person brings with it a faster pace, I think.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I like first person better just because of the personal and intimate connection the reader can develop with the characters and the feelings the author is trying to convey.
whitneybell
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitneybell.html

Post by whitneybell »

When you can't decide, third person is probably best. Stories written in the first person are more difficult to write but, I believe, are usually more engaging to read.
Jasper
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasper.html
Latest Review: "The River Way Home" by Mary E. Dawson
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jasper »

Depends. If done well, first person, but I think third is better so the author has more to work with (like conversations that don't involve the main character).
Latest Review: "The River Way Home" by Mary E. Dawson
NovaJay2415
Favorite Author: Suzanne Collins
Favorite Book: Cinder
Currently Reading: Sylo Icecore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novajay2415.html
fav_author_id: 2536

Post by NovaJay2415 »

Oh, that is a tough question, though I do prefer the initial first person. I do like third person, if it is written out nicely. Let me tell you why. You see with first person I think you get an, in most cases, limited omniscient point of view. So while you are reading what the protagonist believes you fall into whatever trap the author has set up, "plot wise." I think this point of view digs deeper than third person, since there can be a person who knows what is going to happen in the story. But with first person you must believe whatever the author has chosen to let the protagonist believe.

But I must say, I dislike when the first person is way to descriptive and sometimes, when writing that way, it tends to happen. Just have to watch out for word vomit. ;)
N_Simpson21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-simpson21.html

Post by N_Simpson21 »

Third person seems to be the most common and most preferable choice. First person, on the other hand, gives way to an all new interpretation to a work. But, perhaps, if you try reading your work aloud - once using first person and another time using third person - you may see which version flows most easily.
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

I am using third person so that I can switch between characters and their different experiences.
Nadezda
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadezda.html

Post by Nadezda »

colegrove wrote:I don't like reading modern-day works in first person, because it frequently comes off as amateur to me. It's far too easy to write in first person, since it's akin to a diary, but it's also far too easy to become long-winded and boring. Third person brings with it a faster pace, I think.
Good point. I can see this happening for sure, even though most of my favourite books are written in the first person. :mrgreen:
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

Ok third person is a great point of view if there isn't alot of personal development of a character and it isn't "spiritual" or personal to a character. If it is a very in depth of a person book where their opinions and thoughts are important choose first person also if there is going to be splitting up of a group instead of giving a wide range perspective of all people just pick a character to use as your first person point of view which gives your story a better organization
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
zifranka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zifranka.html

Post by zifranka »

Depends on the subject. Some stories work better when narrated through the first person POV, and those present a fascinating experience for the reader. They're quite tricky, however, and normally require a great deal of introspection as to be expected, which I think demands a certain level of skill from the writer.
JessiFox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessifox.html

Post by JessiFox »

This is such a personal thing, not just from writer to writer but also story to story, as well. I wouldn't really feel comfortable giving detailed advice without knowing you or what you're going for. Which seems most natural to you? When you're reading, which do you feel that you connect with the most? Go for what you feel you'll be strongest at if you're feeling unsure. You can always branch out later on to other POVs.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I don't think I've ever read a book that switched from 1st person to 3rd person; so I'd stay just stick to one--but I'm curious to see what the overall effect would be if a story was formatted this way.

I wonder which one the original poster decided on using.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Liot
Favorite Author: Hemmingway
Favorite Book: Too many favourites
Currently Reading: Morgans Passing

Post by Liot »

I usually write in the third person past tense. My current WIP novel is first person present tense. I thought I would have a go at that style to see if it suited me. I do find it an interesting exercise and I'm enjoying being in my protagonist's head without the worry of other POVs having to come in to it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of novels written in the first person present tense that are successful? I know there are plenty that are not but I haven't come across any that are.

Fran Connor
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

colegrove wrote:I don't like reading modern-day works in first person, because it frequently comes off as amateur to me. It's far too easy to write in first person, since it's akin to a diary, but it's also far too easy to become long-winded and boring. Third person brings with it a faster pace, I think.

I agree. I see that so many books are being written in the first person and it irks me. I definitely prefer third person as it just gives a much more professional feel to the story.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
nikilav22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikilav22.html

Post by nikilav22 »

Third Person. because it gives the author more scope to explore other characters.

Return to “Writing Discussion”