How To Get A Book Published

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Crazy School Series
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How To Get A Book Published

Post by Crazy School Series »

I think I have a great idea for a series and going to have perseverance to get it published.
Thanks for the inspiration
jlrinc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlrinc.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jlrinc »

ResearchScholar wrote: 13 Apr 2010, 21:28
TechKnow wrote: How nice it would be to actually make money doing this...
Well, that is the key -- making some money out of the project. Ultimately that is the measurement of whether the book is a sucess or not.

All the best with your book!
As a musician I have a different take on this. For me I was always kind of amused by musicians who strive to "make it" in music. I always focused on trying to make the best music I could make . The odds of you getting signed by a major label are so small as to be virtually nil. No matter how good you are there are musicians who are better who still havent been signed, so you control what you can control and thats the quality of your output. If you write a really great book then you have written a really great book, that in itself is a gift. You cant control whether it gets on the ny times bestseller list. Thats not even important. What is important is that you write because thats what writers do. Of course you want to get published and sold and thats an art in itself but focus on doing the best work you can and you;ll never have cause to regret it .
Jeannettetrevor

Post by Jeannettetrevor »

Writing, self publishing and marketing all have their unexpected skeletons in the cupboard but none so terrifying as the one about royalty payments. For over five years a book of mine lay lifeless in the cupboard of a leading Ebook and paper book undertaking. Egg dancing over my questions led me to smell a rat, their payment mechanism was disabled in cahoots with covert banking gangsters to avoid EFT payments for one thing, and misinformation on book sales for another.
highly favor

Post by highly favor »

Thanks for the information from bless;
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

Is there anyone with the experience of self-publishing? Is it worth it? Or traditional Publishing is better?
zyx49ccc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by zyx49ccc »

Wrote the Book....Did the editing....Wife edited it again.....Friend from school checked it out and made suggestions....Changes made...Sent it out to editors....NOTHING...NADA...NOTHING< NOT A WORD...Seems that a corporation, Company, Organization would at least have the decency to reply with a refusal, questions, or SOMETHING to someone.

Sorry for the rant..Spent the better part of a year, did the research, typing, editing, and NOT EVEN THE DECENCY OF A RETURN EMAIL....does not say much for the company and their concern...Without aspiring authors, there would be NOTHING new to read,Just the same stuff we have read...Different people, different settings, but same story.
Acir
Currently Reading:

Post by Acir »

I have a lot of ideas running in my mind.I want to write a book but I just don't know how or where to start. In fact, it's driving me crazy on how to overcome this fear. Reading this makes me more insane like "hell".So, I absolutely agree that perseverance and hard work in this matter is a "MUST". Someday, I want others to read my book.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I've been looking at self-publishing through Kindle and it's all so confusing. You have to pay to print, plus you give Amazon 40% of your earnings and there's whatever the taxes are. There's cover design to think about. Do you pay an artist? If you use software to design your own, must the software developer be credited or get royalties from your earnings?

Ebooks cost nothing beyond the initial advertising fees, but Kindle Unlimited users get access to free ebooks, so I can't see where you'd benefit from that. Let's say you pay to print 1000 copies hoping a chunk will sell, but the result was 5 people on Kindle who bought it for 99p, then you lose a lot. Plus there's probably legal agreements so Amazon hold the rights to marketing, so I have no idea where you can promote yourself as an author, rather than just Amazon links.

It seems like the easiest option is rejections from publishers until one agrees to work with you. I came across a competition that enters winning manuscripts into circulation with agencies and publishers but it sounds too good to be true.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

I’ve been contemplating writing a book for a while, this post was enlightening and I appreciate the information. Could you clarify the editing aspect of writing a book? Specifically...would the agent find an editor, or would I be tasked with doing so, and would I pay for the editing and agents representation ahead of time or after a publisher signed on. Best wishes to all of those working on publishing their own works!
Jamie1611

Post by Jamie1611 »

It took me around two years to finally complete my book, and although completed around April, I’m at a stalemate on what move to make next. My work was sent to the copyright office, and the waiting for some response from them is somewhat nerve racking. I have yet to decide on an editor and printer. It’s a religious book on how to live a more perfected Christian life. I would like to send in my work with the proper fees, just to get the process started.
Last edited by gali on 10 Oct 2020, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
dwalsh_527
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: David Michael Walsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 207789

Post by dwalsh_527 »

A person can self publish a book. Today's technology makes this possible. The success of the book in the market place is a totally different topic. Traditional publishing, in my view seems next to impossible these days. Unless you as the author have established a significant customer base, have a connection to an agent and traditional publisher the odds appear to be stacked against you. Famous people who have a story to tell can succeed through traditional book publishing mostly because of their notoriety. Self Publishing does have many out falls. It can be very expensive and there are many vanity publishing companies that will have no problem promising you every thing under the sun to get you to turn over your cash to make it as a "Best Selling Author". Buyer be wear. I have no doubt that there are tens of thousands of great authors who have written great stories. The task at hand is to have a great marketing plan and the finances to fund that plan. Just my opinion, from a self published author who believes it is possible to make it with just a lot of luck, money to back the marketing plan and a decent story that is well edited and complaint to read. Good luck everyone
Amusi Emmanuel Uche
Currently Reading: Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Amusi Emmanuel Uche »

Many people want to write a book and have it published. However, very few ever have a successful book published. Just like "making it big" in any art form, becoming a rich or famous author takes a lot of hard work, talent, and perseverance.

To get a book published, you first need to find a literary agent. You do this by sending query letters to agents. Generally, you want to write a short, concise, one-page letter telling the agent about yourself and the book you want to write. You also probably want to tell the agent about how you found him or her. You can find agents in various directories; try doing a Google search.
lcoto17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lcoto17.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by lcoto17 »

This is great! Like many here, I have always wanted to publish a book but do not know how to get there. I know there are many ways to get to the spot, but having some incentive like this article helps. Thank you!
Abdo Sonbol
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 32
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Abdo Sonbol »

Thank you for this explanation, I must think about this soon. :)
Princess +100

Post by Princess +100 »

Wow!This is a fantastic tip

Return to “Writing Discussion”