Do you cast the movie of your book in your head?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Do you cast the movie of your book in your head?

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

With a red face I admit that I do. Not because I think my book will ever be a movie, but just because it's fun.

And sometimes I'll be watching a movie and see an actor or actress and think, "She/he could play [name of character]."

And if the movie is 20 years old and the actor has since aged out of the role, too bad!
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I have an alternative mindset. If one of my novels was made into a movie I would love for it to be unknowns in the roles and they become famous actors after doing the parts. I wouldn't want them type-cast only to always look back and enjoy what gave them their big break.
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Good answer!

When I was a kid, it took me a long time to figure out that the actors were not actually the person they played in the movie. Once I had seen them in one movie, they were forever "typecast" in my head. :)
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Sometimes it helps the flow of a story to imagine it as a movie, but I can't say I've every thought about what actors might play the characters. Then, I'm always a fan of the writer/director making the story their own. I'd be more curious to see how a film maker interprets my work rather than expect a strict telling...
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

jjmainor wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 21:56 Sometimes it helps the flow of a story to imagine it as a movie, but I can't say I've every thought about what actors might play the characters. Then, I'm always a fan of the writer/director making the story their own. I'd be more curious to see how a film maker interprets my work rather than expect a strict telling...
Wow, you are very restrained! I wonder what genre you write?
The way my characters look is very important to me. Maybe not so much to you?
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I write science fiction and a little bit of horror under this name; Family dramas in graphic novel form under a pen name. I suppose with the graphic novels, there's no question what the characters look like, but with straight prose, my opinion is I want the reader to imagine their own "character." Besides, the aesthetics are rarely important to my stories. It really doesn't matter if a character has blond hair or brown, so I figure let the reader plug in their favorite.

And in the unlikely event my stories get made into movies, I won't have fans crying that the actors selected don't look like the characters as described in the book. :D
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I would imagine what my characters look like, but they aren't "actors" because it's their story.
I don't really put real actors/ actresses face for the characters. Mostly because I never really think about it. Now that I do, I'm also afraid of the actors'/ actresses' PR might ruin my impression of the characters, if I ever link them together.
Ndehani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ndehani »

I do that too because i feel more happy that way and write even better
anitamills293
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitamills293.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by anitamills293 »

It's funny and helpful to have a start point. But I don't exactly use their features. It would be boring!

Return to “Writing Discussion”