Multiple Projects

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
RGraf
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rgraf.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Multiple Projects

Post by RGraf »

Do you work on mulitple projects at once? I find that periodically I have to work on mulitple stories in order quiet the characters. I start to think of my unfinished stories and want to work on them as well. It is so frustrating. I need to duplicate myself.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I tend to become obsessed with whatever I am writing and complete it before ever dreaming of starting a new project. This is not to say that I don't rewrite it several times before I consider it finished. In one instance I worked on a short story for two years before completing it. In that one instance only I let the story lay dormant before going back to it several times. Coincidentally, it is the longest of my short stories.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Lol... I thought I was the only one who does that, sometimes I have to read the unfinished stories in order to continue
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

I will work obsessively on a single project until I hit a roadblock. Then I will switch over to another story until I get stuck again, and then I’ll return and I’m usually able to get past the problem I was originally facing.
Somniate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somniate.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by Somniate »

I used to try working on multiple projects at once - then I realized I'm just a person who can't do that. I'd start something new, say I'd work on the other stuff later, and never get back to it. Now, I just work on one project at a time unless the new story is something very short (something that might take a day or two).
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I have too many projects and too little time to work on them all. I need to create a schedule for myself.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

I have like ten projects going at the same time because a new idea always pops out, but what i do is that i try to write my ideas as prompts and let them rest while i focus on my main project and until i have a solid base for it i expand the other ideas a little more. Of course time is never enough.

I'm trying to do only one at the time because i really want to finish my current one.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

This is the problem of a creative mind that ideas pop out at the most inappropriate timing. When you need to focus on one project. when you are ready to sleep.
I keep making a list of those ideas.
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
djcooper2015
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by djcooper2015 »

I will often write on more than one project. Currently, I have four major works in progress, with multiple shorts or articles to complete at any given moment. People will ask me how I can do this. I just laugh and tell them "sometimes I get sick of the characters or something and if I don't move to something else for a time, I'll just kill them all off and write THE END!" With this way of doing things, however, I must say, I do a lot of reading in my own work. When I return to a book, I will rework a section or even the whole book before moving on.
Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khrysalis »

I used to do just that and had to train myself out of it over time gradually. Wasn't easy; a bit like getting over an addiction. Still, I find that I'm more productive if I'm working on two projects at once. When I hit a wall with one project, I can stimulate my creative juices by working on the other. I have to stop myself if I start to slip and begin a third project, though. I know too well from experience that if I have too many things going on at once, I won't be able to do anything useful with any of them!
“Truth wasn't something you went out and found. It was wide and vast and deep and unending, and all you could hope to see was a tiny part of it. And to see that part and to mistake it for the whole was to make of Truth a lie.”
― Margaret Weis
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I can work on multiple projects if they're different forms of writing. At the moment I am revising the rough draft of my novel, and I will not work on another novel until it is complete. I can however, work on articles and book reviews at the same time.

I know if I start another novel, my current one will be pushed to the side and I'll lose track of where I wanted it to go.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
chibiparty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by chibiparty »

I think I have over 20 projects going on at once? If I get stuck on one than I can work on another.
It really doesn't help with actually finishing a project, though.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I get so involved in what I am writing that is all I think about. If I were to have more than one writing project, I fear that they would all end up sounding the same.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Aw man, do I! I start so many projects without finishing. I'm trying to break myself out of that or at least be more progressive with it. For example, I might write on Monday-Friday for like an hour on one project and draw concept art for another on weekends.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I will work on one project obsessively until my inspiration starts to wane or I run into a roadblock. It's nice to have a completely different project to switch over to in order to keep my mind flexible and open to new ideas. I am guilty of losing interest in partially completed projects, but most of the time I go back to them when inspiration hits again.

Return to “Writing Discussion”