Run-on sentence.

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Run-on sentence.

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

No I live in England. I recently retook my English GCSE and the tutor told me "Your writing, your rules." School taught me different rules. What doesn't help is Microsoft Word. Even though it accepts both english and american, my reviews get flagged on here for errors. Usually over where to use a hyphen.

Yes! I have the same problem! I grew up in India ( Colonial English) and I'm always losing points on my reviews for misusing commas. Grammarly is better than Word, but it doesn't catch everything.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

slj3988 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 05:58
RachelEmmanuel wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 22:07
slj3988 wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 15:34 When in doubt, use a comma. If there's too many commas, break the sentence. Like this. I'm still not 100% sure on when to apply a semicolon. The rules seem to have changed since I left school. I was taught to never start a sentence with 'and' or 'but' yet plenty of books do. Paragraphs used to be spaced with indents. Now they aren't and a written letter looks wrong to me without it.
Did you grow up in the US? I have the same problem but I thought it was because I learned British English rules.
No I live in England. I recently retook my English GCSE and the tutor told me "Your writing, your rules." School taught me different rules. What doesn't help is Microsoft Word. Even though it accepts both english and american, my reviews get flagged on here for errors. Usually over where to use a hyphen.
Yes! I have the same problem! I grew up in India ( Colonial English) and I'm always losing points on my reviews for misusing commas. Grammarly is better than Word, but it doesn't catch everything.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

RachelEmmanuel wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 07:32
RachelEmmanuel wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 22:07

Did you grow up in the US? I have the same problem but I thought it was because I learned British English rules.
Hm I should check out Grammarly. I scored badly for grammar/punctuation on my last review. No typos. One was for using a semicolon instead of a comma. It was a long complex sentence with a lot of commas. It seemed fitting to use it. Losing 10 points per error is harsh but I understand it's about quality control. Normally, it's hyphens that get me. So many dual words are accepted as two words and connected with a hyphen. On here, it has to be hyphenated.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

slj3988 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 06:43
RachelEmmanuel wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 07:32
Hm I should check out Grammarly. I scored badly for grammar/punctuation on my last review. No typos. One was for using a semicolon instead of a comma. It was a long complex sentence with a lot of commas. It seemed fitting to use it. Losing 10 points per error is harsh but I understand it's about quality control. Normally, it's hyphens that get me. So many dual words are accepted as two words and connected with a hyphen. On here, it has to be hyphenated.
I had the hyphen problem too but Grammarly corrects that. It's definitely better at catching those kinds of errors than Word.

Return to “Writing Discussion”