Review Strategies and Taking Notes

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Re: Review Strategies and Taking Notes

Post by KDJ »

I take handwritten notes and use the notebook in the kindle app on computer and phone. The Kindle app can be synced so I can get to my notes with little problem. I started this 2 months ago and it has worked well enough for me.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I agree that while I enjoy reading a physical book instead of an ebook, the highlighting feature on my kindle has been such a time saver and I don't feel guilty about marking up books (especially the ones I plan to donate).
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I generally keep an open word document in the background as I am writing. When something comes up that has nothing to do with my current WIP or the current piece of my WIP I'll make a note there. If I don't, one of two things will happen. Either I will forget the thought completely, (this happens most often) or it drives me crazy by interrupting the thought process until I do something about it. Sometimes it's just a note to verify that what I just wrote is consistent with something I wrote a few days or weeks ago.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I combine the kindle's functions and handwritten notes. For errors and noted quotes I use the different coloured highlights and then every 100 pages/1000 locations or so I write down the things I've noticed about the book.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Afturnitsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afturnitsa.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Afturnitsa »

Although I'm still reading the first book that I will review, I've discovered that note taking isn't necessary for me, at least with this book. I'm designing my review process as I go. That is, I'm constantly thinking about the guidelines for writing a review. For instance, how do I summarize what I've read and what do I like the most and least so far. I've decided that every book I review will start with five stars.
Also, I use what I know about the art of creating stories to analyze what I'm reading. For example, does the character change at the end? and do I care about the protagonist?.
RawRis1124
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by RawRis1124 »

I'm thankful I found this topic. I started highlighting points I want to revisit, errors, characters' names, etc., but the idea of using different colors for each category didn't occur to me. I'll start doing that to be more organized.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I only take note of errors, I believe I write better in retrospect.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

For me, I think it depends a lot on the story. Often I will open a word document in the background and as I read and I have some thought about what I just read, I'll jot it down. This seems to help me later. However, I've been doing a lot of the police action stories lately, and most of them are straight forward. I read fairly quickly so I find I don't need notes so much when the story is well written. I get an overall sense of what the author has done, and how they have done it. I try to relay that in my reviews.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I use Evernote to write reviews on books that only come with pdf/ epub format. But I didn't know I could write notes within the Kindle App! Thanks for the tips, guys!

Return to “Writing Discussion”