What do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
cooltodd
Bookshelf Size: 0

What do you write?

Post by cooltodd »

What do you write? I mean, do you write novels, articles, poetry, etc.? How often?
kanenite1985

Post by kanenite1985 »

I write whenever I can. Usually whatever I can. Usually Fanfiction and short stories and poetry. But this year (2007) I wanna try my shot at writing a novel. Doesn't have to be published, doesn't have to be good, just readable and complete. :D
DriftwoodJames

Post by DriftwoodJames »

I write Fiction, contemporary--to the effect that it can be read and enjoyed timelessly, no matter what generation reads it. I prefer it that way, because it makes my work available to most ages, and comprehensive to anyone with at least a Jr. Highschool reading level, but can easily be enjoyed by those with a masterful skill in reading.

My writing has been called by different readers, different names. The harsher have called it Action-Adventure, or just adventure... the women readers call it Romance-Horror (a strange mix, no?), and the males have called it Dark Fantasy, Horror, and Suspsense.

As far as I'm concerned, as I said in a different post: I write. I just write. I write with the intention only to entertain my audiences, whoever they may be.

Check out my website for further details to my work.

http://www.jamesedwardnolan.com
msstroda

Post by msstroda »

[As far as I'm concerned, as I said in a different post: I write. I just write. I write with the intention only to entertain my audiences, whoever they may be.]

I agree. I too, write what I feel passionate about with the intention to entertain my readers, whoever they may be.

Would I like it if my books became best sellers? Well HELL YEAH!! But even if that never happens for me, I will continue to write for the enjoyment of the reading public, as well as for the satisfaction it gives me to write.
awelker

Post by awelker »

my life dream is to one day be a published author. i mean i already am a published photographer but an author is my goal. I don't have to be popular but it is always a plus to the craft.
DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

I tend to stick to contemporary fiction myself. The only time I really dabble in poetry of any kind is if I'm particularly sad or upset or vary very happy about something. This is why the majority of my poetry is sappy crap or really angry.

Since the majority of my work is fanfiction, it's always going to be comtemporary stuff. The one colonial piece that I started ran out of steam just after it was half-done.

When I was a child, my dream was to be an author, like, this is my job. But as I've gotten older, I realize it's just about me, and if I were to do it as a career, I'd probably have to pick one genre and stick to it, but I like to try new things. And while my perfectionist side does get annoyed when I don't finish something, it's a lot easier on me knowing that I don't have to if I don't want to.
Toni Stauffer

Post by Toni Stauffer »

I'm known better for writing horror, but I also write fantasy and the occasional humorous essay.
kaytie

Post by kaytie »

I've been trying to tread that line between literary and commercial, and by that I mean I pay attention both to the artistry of prose and to the pace of story.

A published example would be Kate Atkinson's Case Histories. Ostensibly a mystery, the characters and their development push the literary boundary so that it's somewhat cross genre.

TC Boyle's novels have both commercial and literary appeal.
Toni Stauffer

Post by Toni Stauffer »

I really just write about what interests me. I like to read horror and fantasy, so I tend to write more in those genres. However, I firmly believe that a good writer and write anything as long as they learn the format.
Julie20201

Post by Julie20201 »

Mostly genre fiction. some poetry, but scifi is prob my favorite
enchantri

Post by enchantri »

Well, I have a completed Historical Fiction novel that I am currently shopping out to publishers, a semi-completed Sci-fi that was an early novel attempt, and two new ones that are just started - semi-autobio and a social/political commentary. Also a few short stories, some essays and LOTS of poetry - mostly dark or social commentary, some nature based.

So far, I've had just a few published poems, but no bites on the big one (the completed novel.) I write for lots of reasons... feeling compelled to tell a certain story, dream inspired ideas, to be heard/read, to sell something, and cheap therapy LOL!

I also love to read, as much as I love to write and admire lots of different authors and different genres, depending on my mood at the time. If you want to see a sample check out my URL on myspace.

Peace,
Jeanne
Linda

Post by Linda »

yea im a poetry person. i like writing it...but that doesn't mean i have any poetry writing skills what so ever. lol but im okay with being horrible at it, its just a thing i like to do.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
dreamweaver

Post by dreamweaver »

Mostly I write short stories but have been working on a non fiction story for over a couple of years now, this story has a lot of meaning to me and I do not work on it all that often but someday I will get it finished and then I will see about finding an agent to peddle it for me. I have written few children stories, but mostly I just write what comes to me and the mood that I am in usually makes a difference on what route that story takes.
JohnnyOstentatious

Post by JohnnyOstentatious »

Novels. Inbetween drafts I've been doing short stories, but I'm thinking about stopping that altogether because I have trouble gettin' 'em published, probably because I love novels and am bored by short stories in general. Only thing holding me back from stopping short stories is I've noticed writers who only do novels, like Michael Crichton and Jayne Ann Krentz, sometimes they'll do a novel that should've been a short story or novella.
NSUSA

Post by NSUSA »

I think we should all remember to say that we write on forums like this one! We may not be writing stories, but when you add up all that we write in every post it sure adds up to a lot. :wink:

Return to “Writing Discussion”