WHAT KIND OF BOOKS DO YOU LIKE WRITING?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Aisha I
Currently Reading: Dead Lock
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-i.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

WHAT KIND OF BOOKS DO YOU LIKE WRITING?

Post by Aisha I »

Mostly, writers prefer to write short stories as they seem to be stress free. The lovers of poetry prefer to write in the poetry world. But the problem lies in people who are in love with the prose or play. One may have a very interesting story but the choice in style of writing becomes a problem as sometimes it is difficult to know whether to write long or short stories. I prefer to write in style of prose and I enjoy the flexibility of including narration, description and much more. And in addition I prefer the longer form of writing to short stories.

What can you say about this?
What are you preferences and why did you choose them?
Positiveminds7
Currently Reading: Jesus -- from Birth to Baptism
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-positiveminds7.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Positiveminds7 »

I think it depends оn уоur gоаl аnd whаt you enjoy as an individuаl. I likе reading аnd writing bоth fiction and nonfiction bооkѕ оf аnу lеngth, but I writе nоnfiсtiоn mоrе. Yеѕ, I know writing fiсtiоn iѕ muсh mоrе fun, but сhurning out a few nоnfiсtiоn books can become your brеаd аnd butter, tiding уоu over until thе wоrld diѕсоvеrѕ уоu'vе аlѕо writtеn thе "Wоrld'ѕ Grеаtеѕt Nоvеl."
alaskaforreal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alaskaforreal »

I prefer writing fiction, too. But you're right about the bread and butter of non-fiction writing.

I sent my fiction out to editors and publishers for years and sometimes got some interest and requests for partials and fulls. I even had a book accepted once (YA) but the publisher changed hands and no longer accepted YA from first time authors! I had an agent (also for YA) but she retired halfway through sending my book out.

Then one day I wrote up a proposal in a couple hours for a memoir I hadn't written a single word of and sent it to a publisher. They wrote back and they said they were interested, but they had to submit it to their acquisitions team. Shortly after that, they made me an offer. For a book that didn't exist.

So. Yeah. I love to write fiction, but sometimes you don't get to publish your true love.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I enjoy coming up with fantasy or realistic fiction stories. When it comes to writing projects that I manage to finish, however, it's usually short stories. It can get difficult and stressful for me to finish a full-length novel, but I'm still trying with my current novel idea.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I like to writelong, but time does not permit me to do so. Even when I write, the length is determined only by the main story because I do not prefer to add background details and lengthen the story further
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
-brintontaylor
Currently Reading: Pretty Little Liars
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brintontaylor.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by -brintontaylor »

I absolutely love writing Mystery / Thriller books! There's just something about a good engaging mystery that gives me pleasure to write about, especially when you know the ending :D
Derrick Njeru
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Derrick Njeru »

I enjoy each book that has a love story
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Mostly, I enjoy books that make me think, so that is generally my aim when I start writing a new story. Also, a little bit of suspense and keeping readers on the edge of their seats is also a good addition. I don't want to write a book that keeps going on and on about the same topic.

Writing about personal struggles is always my first choice. When I'm feeling a little down, and transform my sadness into a main character in a book, and create other characters that will solve the problem, or at least assure the main character that everything will be fine at the end. Doing that really lessens the burden of my struggles and also makes many readers connect with me. It makes me feel less alone, so that is really something I enjoy to write.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I think my favorite Genre is Fantasy, everything I write seems to contain some measure of it.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I don't know why but I always tend to write romance, sometimes with a lot of angst. Wonder what that says about myself lol!
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

My favorite to write is fantasy where the story starts out with everything being black and white, and then as the book progresses, it becomes clear that everything is a shade of gray.

I have to ask, though - whoever said that writing short stories was stress-free? Honestly, I tend to find them even more stressful because each word holds so much more weight. In a novel, it's sometimes acceptable to take a paragraph or even a full page to get your message across, whereas a short story often demands that it's done in only a few syllables.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I like doing short stories, but I also like the novels, but they are so much work. I am not complaining, just saying a short story can be finished pretty quickly, but a novel, well I have to immerse myself in the world for months, sometimes even longer. It is hard to keep the motivation going.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I like writing fantasy with a twist. Usually, I tend to write cross-over fantasy; such as Fantasy/mystery or western/fantasy. ;)

I'm a "color outside the lines" kind of girl. ;)
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I love writing fantasy books. Magic or some other fantasy element almost always sneak into whatever I write. I also enjoy worldbuilding and coming up with a wide range of characters that all have different powers and personalities. Depending on the story I want to tell, I write either long or short stories. The ideas that have a bigger cast and involve a lot of locations within a big world will obviously take a lot more words to fully dive into.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Given a chance I WOULD DO A BIOGRAPHY

Return to “Writing Discussion”