Book Review Vs Proofreading Vs Editing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.

Book Review
56%
Proofreading
28%
Editing
16%

Total votes: 25

See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Among the three (3) choices, which do you like best and why?
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Nimrah Asad Khan
Favorite Book: Hunger Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Nimrah Asad Khan »

I chose Book review because you get to read a book and explain as to why you liked or disliked the book. While proofreading could be quite hectic and same goes for editing. I personally think there are more cons than pros when it comes to proofreading and editing. You cannot proofread a book and enjoy correcting all the mistakes. Unless, it's the only thing you're doing it's fine but if you are a student or have some other job it could be tiring. Just my opinion. But it could be fun too if you are someone who really likes editing and proofreading.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I voted for editing. I do some fiction writing, and I love watching my work transform from something passing to something good in the self-editing process. Similarly, I love helping fellow writers and seeing their work change throughout the editing process. It's something where I can look at the initial product, look at the finished product, and think "amazing progress!"
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

There is a big difference between the three. A review is always based on a personal opinion, more or less qualified, while proofreading and editing (especially the second) require certain advanced language skills. Likewise, the review process is relatively short, the proofreading takes more time, and the editing even more. I doubt that someone who is not a professional by choice will vote for something other than a review...
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I struggle liking editing and proofreading, especially since I feel like I have to really involve myself in the reading, nitpicking out everything. Book reviews are much nicer for me. While I still like to actively read, taking notes in the margins or on my kindle, it gives me the chance to involve myself in the reading and enjoy the book more.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I selected proofreading because in a casual situation I would choose it over the other two. I get nit-picky enough about grammar and story structure that I can be easily distracted from enjoying a book if there are a lot of errors to correct. On the other hand, while I really like editing, it is not exactly a relaxing activity- it is much more focused. If I am editing, I want to buckle down and concentrate on it.
wilykit104
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilykit104.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by wilykit104 »

Having done a little of all three, my first choice would be editing. Seeing a piece of writing or storyline which is rough, but has potential, and being able help shape it into it's final form can be very satisfying. Some people have the talent thinking up imaginitive storylines but have trouble executing them with good descriptive language and grammar. Other people have the talent for the writing side of things and attention to detail, but get stuck when trying to think up a storyline (me!) This talent lends itself towards good editing. Some people are very lucky and are talented with both, but even they will need an editor.

Proofreading happens after all the editing has been done and can be tedious as you have to work hard NOT to be sucked into the story, instead reading sentence by sentence or paragraph by paragraph looking for spelling or grammar errors. Even more tedious is proofreading after the book has been printed or put into the printing template. Then it also involves checking that all the page numbers, headers, footers, table of contents etc. match up. I don't mind a bit of tedium but only if I'm getting paid for it! ;)

Book reviews can be fun to write too but I do find 400 words is quite a lot of space to fill without waffling or giving too much away. But then I may be a little out of practice!
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

I vote for book review because In book review you write what you've understood, how you find it and also your rating rather than proofreading and editing in which you mingt be in agreement of what you are editing or proofreading.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

They're vastly different things, but reviewing is definitely more enjoyable
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I enjoy book reviewing, because you dig into the meat of the story and characters. I also like proofreading, though. I've always had a pretty good handle on English grammar and spelling, and it drives me nuts when things are spelled poorly or are grammatically incorrect (Facebook will be the death of me). There's a satisfaction to be had in making a certain aspect of a novel perfect. The structure of a novel or the plot and character development are totally subjective, but spelling and grammar are almost completely objective (I'm looking at you, Oxford Comma debaters).
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
biscuits
Favorite Book: Life is an open secret
Currently Reading: How to win and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biscuits.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by biscuits »

For you to have reviewed a book, you must have read it properly (not just proofreading) and somewhat checked for editing errors. So a book review practically encompasses all.
Sal Vandy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sal Vandy »

I'm new to book reviewing, so didn't feel like I could legitimately choose that option . . . yet! Ask me the same question in a year or so, and my answer might have changed. But for now, I'd have to say editing is my favorite of the three choices. A lot of my education and experience are in editing, and that's no accident. I think I've been a natural editor since Mr. Martin's English II Honors class. :)
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

The three aren't really comparable, but I'd choose book review because it's all my opinion and I can choose to interpret a book how I want. Editing and proofreading require a good grasp of language and knowledge of the intricacies of grammar. They're defined by rules whereas reviews can be as creative as you want.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Book reviews are for more enjoyable because I'm less focused on every little improvement that could be made. I feel more "in the flow" while simply reading and am able to absorb the story and view it through the eyes of a (non-book-reviewer) reader.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

All three options need me to read the book in the first place. I'm a bit torn between editing and writing reviews. But I'll choose writing reviews because I can write something about my impression and interpretation of the book. And that also helps the writers because it's important for them to know what their audience thinks.

Return to “Writing Discussion”