Writer's Block: The Movie-Like Mind

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
BinaryEye101
Bookshelf Size: 0

Writer's Block: The Movie-Like Mind

Post by BinaryEye101 »

Working on a book can be difficult, but viewing the actions of your characters can be even more complicated. As a suggestion to new authors around the globe, try the "movie view". The "Movie View" or "Movie Mind" as many prefer to call it, is the idea of putting yourself in your own personal theater and watching your book as though it were a movie. The actions of the characters, the perceptions, the points of view, all come from what you would experience in this "movie mind". I often tend to use this mindset when I write, even as an "invisible" author, in order to put myself in the place of the characters of my story. In replacing a character in your story, or even acting as the narrator, based on how your novel shall work, it depends on how you feel at the time. What character will you take over, or in the sense..."experience", based on the emotional values you are holding and how you can use them to manipulate your perceptions. As an example: If I am calm and I simply want to escape from a boring moment in a commonplace job, I would situate myself on a chair and turn my mind to other matters. Turning my mind away likely looks more of the term "zoning out" or "blank stare" to others around me, as they have expressed when they have interrupted my moments of "movie mind". I do believe that other authors around the globe have experienced this style of thinking, and would love to comment on their experiences with it as well.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

Actually, yes! I have always been accused of "zoning out" far too often but it's actually what you just described! Great advice!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
RooLynn521

Post by RooLynn521 »

I do this for literally every scene I write. If its something funny, I may accidentally laugh out loud, earning myself a spew of confused stares. If it's sad, my husband will ask me if I'm okay. People who are close to me have learned to leave me be when I do this.
scullen
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scullen.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by scullen »

I don't think I'd be able to write at all without falling into "Movie Mind". Sometimes I have the tendency to zone out like you said and fall into it at inopportune times, but I can't help it when an idea hits me! It's also a great cure for writer's block, trying to picture what happens next, as long as I don't get too caught up in it. Although I don't only look at it as viewing my words on the big screen, sometimes I'm actually in[/] the movie myself. For me that's the easiest way to get into one of my character's voices. I sort of act out what they're doing to ensure I'm writing them true to the person I've described them as and written them to be before. It's a strange habit if anyone ever catches you do it, but it's really helped me with my writing and making my character's different from one another.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
bmkelle

Post by bmkelle »

I'm in a situation where I've had writers block for a while. I try to just go through and re-read it but can't seem to get any farther. I know where I want it to go but I can't get it there. Help!
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Wow. So glad you shared this. I do this at times, but only when I'm stuck. I never decided to do it, it's simply a natural reaction to being blocked. Now I've read this I can see it's a strong tool to use at any point in the writing of a story... Can't get too carried away, but I can imagine finding it much easier to plot a novel or short story once using this technique consciously.

Grateful for this post!
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
corneliusnjoki
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by corneliusnjoki »

hae this is such great information as some writers have problems with flowing with the story the way its supposed to flow, so with such information one can be able to paint a clear picture about the scenes in the story
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Doing writing prompts is a huge help to me when I get writer's block. Getting the creative juices flowing without focusing on the piece giving me problems is a great solution for me.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Thank you for this one. I have a story that has been on pending for quite a time now because i seemed to have lost track of the things i want to put in as twists. I don't know what to write now. I will definitely try this one out.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Hannah Mo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mo.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hannah Mo »

I love using Movie Mind to write as it is easier to get it out on paper. I find it is much more fun as well!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I think it is good advice to any author. I have done it without thinking and it helps to add reality to the story. Thank you for the advice
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

That's exactly what I do! I didn't know there was a title to it. To me, that's the only way I could connect with my characters on an emotional level without over doing it.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Writing Discussion”