What to be thought first, a story or a title?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Re: What to be thought first, a story or a title?

Post by Ama Idim »

I agree with what someone said above, it can go either ways. Title first is not limiting, it can inspire creativity. If the story changes midway, the title can also be adjusted to suit the story
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Sherry Terry
Currently Reading: A Gentleman’s Game
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sherry Terry »

I start writing the story with the knowledge that the title will come. If you build it... 'Course it only took 3 years after a book was finished for me to finally have the light bulb go off with a title for it once.

Except for the first book I published. I saw something I thought looked like a good title, and was dared to write the book. That's the only time I had a title first, and let me be the one to tell you that working a story around a title was hard.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

While I haven't actually had anything published - or even totally finished, for that matter - I nearly always come up with the "gist" of the story and the title soon follows, as coming up with titles is way easy for me. For example, I once had an idea to write about a grandmother who sells drugs and as soon as I had that thought, I had its title, Dope-Dealin' Grandma, as well.

I also write all of my own songs for my band and it always goes the same way: "gist" of song, closely followed by title, and I've never had to change the title once I started writing.
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

Odhiambo Felix wrote:Having a title thought of first before the story may restrict your ideas and at times make you run short of points, I therefore feel it will be better to write first the story then the title shall follow thereafter
While this is a good point, I have to say that I disagree with this for a number of reasons. You write a story from your ideas, so you already have some sort of picture in your mind of what's going to be in the story. Sure, you may change stuff from your original thoughts, but what I'm saying is that the title doesn't have to restrict your ideas. The title is not permanent, so you can always change it. Now, if you're trying to make a story from no thoughts (letting the story be made up as you type along), then that's a different story.

I feel coming up with a title first makes me feel better, because when I'm writing, I'd like to see a title above the story as I'm writing it. This is just me, so I'm not saying you should come up with the title first.
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

I'd go with story. If a writer starts thinking about a title, that's all one will think about. It's true for me, so yeah.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Story for sure
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

A title is inspired by the story, so usually a story comes first. You could, however, find an interesting title or come up with it randomly (that happened to me on many occasions) and so, you'll feel the need to write a whole story line based on that title.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I think the story has to be developed first and the title will automatically come at the end. In this way the best title will come in to mind
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I think a story should be first and the title would follow. Having a title first would restrict the content.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
elissasmart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elissasmart »

It always depends, sometimes a bright title pops up in your head and you it is good enough to be a start, but sometimes you have an idea of the wonderful story, you create it and work on it and in this case title would be just a necessity
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

For me, I've found that the title will spring up on its own as I am writing the story. When I let the title arrive on its own, it tends to be a more natural fit.

However, I could see how writing the title might motivate someone to write, so do whatever works. You can always change it later if the story grows out of its confines. Creativity, by its own definition, requires your imagination and originality, so follow whatever process inspires it.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

When I write long stories, I tend to thing about story before the title. But if I write short stories/ flash fictions, I'd decide the titles first- to sort of challenge myself.
Ndehani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ndehani »

Eman Frasy wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 07:13 Everyone has his own opinion about writing a story. Some people think about a title and then create a story regarding that but for others it may be vice versa. But what is the best way? Should one create a story first and then give it a title or it might be better to think about a theme or a title first and then make a story regarding that.

-- 27 Jun 2017, 07:15 --

I think it is better to think about a theme first and then create a story step by step regarding the title.
Yeah it's so much easier to think the theme first like if your go even half way to your story you will get the title by itself
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

The story comes fast. Through the story line one can choose the most appropriate title. Choosing a title before limits your thinking to a certain line.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

This can be vary from person to person, but what I believe is choosing an interesting theme is more important. If you decide the title in the first place, then you won't be able to get enough points and ideas to create a lovely story.

Return to “Writing Discussion”