No Rejection

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
AMagnificentAmberson
Bookshelf Size: 23

No Rejection

Post by AMagnificentAmberson »

Has anyone else submitted manuscripts to publishers and received no reply at all, whether good or bad? I know some don't reply, but the two I sent mine to said they would reply and within a given time frame. I waited double the time for one. When I sent the manuscript to another publisher, I almost immediately received a rejection letter. I was braced for rejection, but I didn't expect no answer at all and I don't see anyone else online talking about it.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I have not had radio silence, thankfully. I've had rejections that have taken longer than I thought they would to reply, but all places I've submitted to have answered.
Did you ever try to follow up and email them again?
AMagnificentAmberson
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by AMagnificentAmberson »

Yes, with two of them. A third is now late responding, but I've been so busy I haven't asked them about it yet. Perhaps it is because I'm sending it to only one at a time and/or waiting so long to send it to another?
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I hate waiting. I try to either start new projects or have multiple things out there at the same time so that I can not just focus on waiting for one reply.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It happened to me once. I sent a manuscript to an agent and never heard anything back. I don't like harassing people so I didn't bother trying with them again.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

you cannot expect to be successful at the very beginning. yet, if your problem is being rejected, try Amazon self publishing, where no one is there to reject your work
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

This is very, very common.

I have been querying agents like crazy. Many of them have a "no response means no" policy ... "If you haven't heard from us in [6 weeks, for example], that means we are not interested in your manuscript." Some do try to respond to every submission, but most are so swamped that they just can't. Even if they do try to respond, they are often so swamped that they are "behind" and don't get to you until well after their stated response time.

It is quite the emotional roller coaster submitting queries to agents or submissions to publishers, waiting for responses, and getting rejections, either explicit rejections or default ones by silence. The only thing I can compare it to is proposing marriage to a new person every day, and most don' t answer you for 6 months. :) However, it is something everyone goes through.

Even if they do reject, it may not mean your manuscript is bad. There are so many possible reasons, like they just accepted something similar, or they like it but can't imagine that they could sell it, or even that they are just too busy to look closely.

To find where I got all this information, and tons more helpful stuff besides, I recommend this agent's blog: jetreidliterary.blogspot.com

Keep on keeping on, my friend!
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Return to “Writing Discussion”