Happy Ending?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Re: Happy Ending?

Post by Drakka Reader »

I believe there are quite a few people who would be fine with a not-so-happy ending, though I myself don't prefer them. However, I do not much appreciate a totally happy ending, as I find them convenient. I instead like bittersweet or "hopeful" endings without ending it completely happily or sadly.
Bookgirl91
Favorite Author: Gregory Maguire
Currently Reading: Kill Creek
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3091

Post by Bookgirl91 »

As a fan of horror and someone who is currently trying to write their first novel, I'm personally not always a fan of a happy ending. In some cases, it's perfect, but I know for a fact that the novel I plan to write will end in a very gruesome and unhappy way because it makes the most sense. Really the ending should fit the tone of the book and not be forced.

Return to “Writing Discussion”