Happy Ending?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Re: Happy Ending?

Post by Sophi57 »

Readers often become attached to characters especially if you've done your job as a writer. This is why they want happy and hopeful endings. They want to see that life can at least find content. However, I like to think that the best ending are somewhere in between.
DragonTeethDice
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DragonTeethDice »

I think most people prefer to end on a positive note. Mind you, a tragic or dark ending may be more memorable or more useful for teaching a lesson. But I mostly read for fun these days. I'm not looking to expand myself through a study of the Humanities. If a story leaves a mental aftertaste, I prefer the flavor of chocolate over the flavor of poop. That said, I do appreciate cliffhangers and dilemmas intended to make me want to read more.
elanger333
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elanger333.html
Latest Review: "Roadblocks, the warning signs" by KENNETH H B ADDERLEY

Post by elanger333 »

Hello! I prefer happy endings in stories because life doesn't always end up that way. I'm a bit sensitive and can really become attached to characters. But I really do think there is a need for people to create stories where endings are questionable because that can stir people up and create change. If "The Jungle" was a happy book, then there would have been no Clean Meat Act.
Latest Review: "Roadblocks, the warning signs" by KENNETH H B ADDERLEY
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I think I prefer endings that realistically address the nuances of whatever issues have been brought up, more than I prefer "happy" or "sad" endings.

Thinking through the endings of my own stories, I have, "the character gets exactly what he wants, but it was a trap. It kills him, but he dies happy;" "What the character wants just can't exist in this world, but she has the chance to start her own world and create it for herself;" "We're trapped in an eternally hopeless situation, but, after having experienced so much suffering, we've learned to shamelessly enjoy ourselves in whatever way we can." That last one actually ends with the suggestion that the narrator and his companion may someday attempt suicide together, "...but while we can, we might as well have a bit of fun."

So...they're mixed. I like nuance. I do like the nuance to have a positive, hopeful element, though.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I personally hate happy ending because they are unrealistic and are, frankly, cliché. Lately I have taken to realism and find that the book is more relatable if it doesn't have the happiest of endings. I mean, it can't end in total tragedy, that's horrible, but not everything can come to a happy resolution.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I prefer happy endings, but to be honest, shocking endings are better but I just don't like to feel sad after reading a book lol
Mys
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys.html

Post by Mys »

I think ending types depend on why you like to read. There are people who like "real" stories, while others like to escape real life.

I prefer HEA because life can suck and I really don't want some fictional character to get the short end of the stick.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Most times, I prefer a happy ending. I wouldn't be upset if an ending was provocative or if the bad guy won in the end. The reason is because that would make it exciting. People are so accustomed to happy endings in books and film that when there isn't a happy ending, they freak out. I want to read something unpredictable. Unfortunately, happy endings are extremely predictable.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

It might be vague, but I like endings that make me think. For example, I recently watched The Hateful Eight and the ending left me so stunned I had to share it with my boyfriend. He felt the same way! I felt as if the entire plot was destined to end in a bloodbath and (spoiler alert) everyone dead. When it did, I felt as if my expectations of a triumphant ending were dashed. I think the fact that a lot of the plot was based on clever lies was also part of that let-down.

In the end though, the story left me thinking about it long after I'd watched the movie. I'll remember the characters very well, and the though the plot rankled me a bit, I did admire the story-telling.

My question about the happy ending is this: how do you avoid cliche but achieve a happy ending nonetheless? Can happy endings be achieved without melodrama? On the flip side, if an ending is tragic, is it just that way because the author wanted to avoid the pitfalls of a happy ending?
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by katiestardis »

I prefer a happy, but realistic, ending. I hate when the ending seems contrived or forced, but it's almost worse when I've read a whole series to have the main character die at the end.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I definitely prefer happy endings. I have read my fair share of sad and flat out terrible endings, but overall I would much rather read an ending where everything works out well for the character(s).
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I usually like to see a happy ending of any story. yet, the most memorable stories I can remember are the ones which had sad endings
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khrysalis »

It's good for a reader to experience a dark or tragic ending from time to time. It makes the happy endings all the sweeter. Makes it so I don't take the stories that end in victory or jubilation for granted, nor become bored with them. Helps keep that delicious fear in the back of my mind that maybe things won't turn out well, maybe a dream won't come true, maybe lives cannot be saved, maybe the dark and creeping things have all the advantages after all, and maybe all of these efforts are for naught. It's important to believe all of that when reading a book, and having books that make those beliefs true, they're just as important as the happy endings.
“Truth wasn't something you went out and found. It was wide and vast and deep and unending, and all you could hope to see was a tiny part of it. And to see that part and to mistake it for the whole was to make of Truth a lie.”
― Margaret Weis
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I think a lot of stories have an uncertain ending because the writers want to pave a way for the second instalment.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

As a reader, I prefer, not necessarily a happy ending, but a satisfying one. If I am going to go out of my way and take the time to read a book, I don’t want to reach the ending and think “well, now I’m going to be depressed for a week.” Which some books can do. I want the ending to feel right. As if what needed to happen happened, even if it’s not necessarily what I would have wanted or what might have been happy. I don’t find much point in reading if a book is going to leave me depressed and melancholy, you know? So, even if the ending is not happy, I at least want it to sit right in my mind. Preferably give me something to contemplate, but in a good way. An ending that makes me think. Think about my life, and how I can improve. And even if the ending is not tragic or sad and not something that makes you say “well, that’s real life for you”, I don’t think this makes the ending unrealistic. Like I said, I like a ending that feels right, and often times, that requires something from the characters, not the scenarios. Perhaps remorse, forgiveness, or love. An ending like that can be equally realistic. But maybe one would argue that “people are not always going to be sorry for the evil they have done” or “they might not forgive before they die” etc. but I think that there is enough of that in the real world for us to see and experience, why surround ourselves with it more than is necessary? What good will that do us, even if it is the most realistic ending of all time?
-Thea M. Frederick

Return to “Writing Discussion”