Do you write a journal/diary?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Do you write a journal/diary?

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I consistently keep a small journal/notebook in my purse, just for thoughts. Sometimes its someone recommending a book to me that I dont want to forget, sometimes its a recipe.
billielane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by billielane »

My playwrighting teacher in my senior year of high school had us all start one and graded them bi-weekly. It was really beneficial to me in getting all the thoughts I have throughout the day down on paper, which helped my mental health as well as accomplished its goal to generate play ideas. Although I've been a bit busy for it since then, I think a journal is an essential tool for any writer. My teacher used to tell us, a good writer writes everyday! (and in that case I'm not a good writer.)
prospero1501
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero1501.html

Post by prospero1501 »

I've been writing in a diary since I was thirteen years old, and have filled over twenty notebooks. My mother has done the same. I hope to type them all up one of these days to leave them behind as a legacy for my son. Diaries do come in handy. They really help me to remember when specific events of my life happened, such as births, deaths, special events, or even the day I became a published author. They have also helped me to improve my writing skills through regular practice. Writing in a journal is a great way to get those hours in without the pressure to come up with a great story. The story already exists; you just have to write it out.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I used to write a journal 5 years ago when I had some painful events in my life, but then I decided to stop because it was just so painful to re-read again. I tore the pages and never wrote again.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I wrote one for years, and I have a whole box of filled-in diaries. Sometimes I go through them for writing ideas. I do not feel right if I do not have a journal in my purse, to write down an idea, a situation, a feeling that might come by. I don't know what I'll do with all the diaries that I have written in over the years!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Zohaib01
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib01.html

Post by Zohaib01 »

I got a journal for my birthday bit stuck on what use it for I want to sort of use to note inspirations
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I used to be very consistent with journaling, unfortunately as I've gotten more responsibilities, journaling has sort of fallen to the side. I need to make an effort to get back into it. I felt when I was journaling I was more creative and my writing skills were improving constantly. Now, I find because I don't do as much writing, it's a lot harder to get into writing when I want to!
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

Not particularly. I scribble random stuff everywhere, but I don't have a book I write in consistently. Eventually, the little scraps either get thrown out or find new homes somewhere, so I guess you could say my journelling takes place on scrap paper instead of books. Diary though - used to, on and off, but don't bother anymore. I find it easier to email-rant than diary.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I have tried keeping a diary many times but they did not last for more than a week or two. So it looks like I am also in the majority of people who do not have one.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I do not write one. I have tried numerous times but sometimes I am either too tired and all I want to do is read or just sleep from a bad day.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

I had never been one to keep a personal journal. I have composition books filled with short stories, books, and non-fiction writing topics.
It wasn't until later on in life that I started keeping a personal journal for times when I was having trouble processing emotionally. In some respects I wish that I had used the journalling process for this purpose sooner in my life. Oh well, live and learn.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Ashton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashton.html

Post by Ashton »

I started keeping a journal when I was 14 or 15, it was suggested by a counselor to help me deal with the problems of life.
I have never taken anything I have written and converted it into a story, since most of what I write in there is negative and angry.

I like happy positive things that will lift you up and I think I reflect that in my own writing and what I enjoy reading.

I write most days and jot down what happened that day. Things that I did well, things I didn't accomplish and what I want to do the next day, What annoyed me, etc
mhawki36
Currently Reading: Doing Time
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhawki36.html

Post by mhawki36 »

This year I tried very hard to start (and continue) journaling. It was definitely not my first attempt. I wrote relatively ambiguous passages for the most part, or often philosophical thoughts and ideas. I hoped that maybe writing in this way would keep me from walking away from writing daily. However, I slowly drifted from writing once a day, to a few times a week, and now I haven't written in months. I would like to pick it back up again, but I am never in the space to just look into myself and write what I find. Sitting and writing my deepest thoughts and ideas was easily one of the most freeing things I could do, and I loved writing by hand so I could just let myself slow in comparison to my fast click clicking away on the modern keyboard. While resolutions are pretty cliche, I might just have one relating to journaling this year.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I write in two different journals: the first one I write in when something big happens and the second one when I'm in Fasting (from food for religious/health reasons). The second one tends to be more introspective than the first one, but I like to try to remember events that seem big to me, so it's necessary.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
A Cup of Positivity
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-cup-of-positivity.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by A Cup of Positivity »

Yes. I have several journals and to my own dismay, others have looked it when I was away at college.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Return to “Writing Discussion”