Do you write a journal/diary?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Do you write a journal/diary?

Post by zaynab_m »

I started writing a diary about two years ago. I write about almost every other thing happening in my life, but not the boring things like what I ate for lunch, etc. I don't write everyday, or even every other day. I simply write when I feel like getting out my thoughts, or when something major happens and I want to tell someone (who'll listen) about it.The reason I started writing a diary in the first place was so that, some year later when I'm older, I can look back at what my life used to be like, and reminisce and feel nostalgic. Though I'm pretty sure that when I'm twenty I won't want to know what I had for lunch six years back.

Although this was the main reason I started writing a diary, I found that in the past couple of years my writing skills have improved greatly, my diary-writing habit being a major factor. I did feel one negative thing about doing this: I tend to get too verbose where I don't need to be. Something I could write in one line, I'll probably end up writing in three.

All in all, I think writing a journal, as frequently or infrequently as you like, is very beneficial for one's writing skills.

Do you write a journal or diary? How often do you write it? When did you start writing one?Do you just write the big things happening in your life, or even the minor events?

Some authors adapt their diaries/journals into novels. Have you done that with your journal?
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
MeenaV
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenav.html

Post by MeenaV »

I understand what you are saying.. I started my diary when I was 11 yrs.. Used to write it on a daily basis till my college, but have stopped it after joining work.. But I read those diaries sometimes now and laugh on all the silly things which I took seriously at that time... They are really cute... Keep up writing your journals, you will love them later
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I've been journaling regularly now for the better part of two years. I usually write every day, and about whatever is on my mind. Sometimes my entries wax philosophical, and sometimes they're as simple as jotting down a list. I think that journaling of any kind is good for one's mental and spiritual health.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Mgithens1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgithens1.html

Post by Mgithens1 »

I always say I'm going to write in a journal and continue to buy new journals to use but life stays busy and I never get to them.
GandalfTheFey

Post by GandalfTheFey »

I have tried a few times. Was most successfully as a youngster but it was full of brief unimaginate reports like "I went to the park and played tag" or "ate a candybar."
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html

Post by zaynab_m »

GandalfTheFey wrote:I have tried a few times. Was most successfully as a youngster but it was full of brief unimaginate reports like "I went to the park and played tag" or "ate a candybar."
To be honest, that's what I was like in the beginning as well. But now, I write because I enjoy it, not because I have to, or because it's a burden. Just write things you enjoy, and that you think you'll enjoy later. :)
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Muggy_Maggy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muggy-maggy.html

Post by Muggy_Maggy »

I've been writing my journal since I was a kid. But I have a bad habit of going months to years with out writing. Most the time I read to get away from life. Though when I was in high school, I wrote a lot of bad poetry and about all the drama going on.

I wish I had kept up with hit, and i'm in the process of throwing out my old stuff, keeping the important parts, into one new journal.
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

No, I dont. I have on and off through the years. There are times when I wish I was better at journalling; but life seems so crazy right now with young children. Might be my best material, I should drug out one of those journals. Expecially if it will help my writing.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

I maintained a journal till the age of 14 but lost interest, eventually. I am a secretive person, and I did not wish anybody to find it, and then judge me. So I hid it, and I must be excellent at hiding things because now I can't find it. I wish to read about my "glorious" past but unfortunately, I did an extraordinary job at hiding.
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

When I was little I had diaries (you know...a journal with a lock), but stopped because my little sister would always find them or I would lose them. When I was in college I went through some really hard times and felt like I had no one to talk to. I felt myself slipping into a depression, so I bought a journal to help me work through all my thoughts. I wrote in it pretty regularly until my life made a turn for the better and I didn't feel the need to get my thoughts/feelings out anymore.

I have looked back on my journal from that time and can't believe some of the things I was thinking! It was clear that I was not in a good state-of-mind and I am glad that I moved forward. I still keep my journal and write in it occasionally when my head is full of thoughts/emotions and I don't have anyone to share them with. It helps me get all of that out of my head so I can cope and deal with the problem without emotion-filled thoughts clouding my judgment.
Journey beyond the jacket.
stanley
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley.html
Latest Review: "Return to the Go-Go" by William Peskett

Post by stanley »

I've tried it, but it just doesn't work for me. Upon review of old attempts at journal keeping I find myself bored and a little incredulous at the self absorbed little mind that I find there. I think there is a talent for journal writing that makes autobiographical material interesting reading for others. Unfortunately, I lack it. I am to myself in the journal mode kind of like that stranger who gets on the bus and to your dismay chooses you as seat mate. His intention is soon clear. He means to share as many details of his life and thought processes as humanly possible during the small eternity that stretches between departure and destination.

I do however, jot down ideas for stories or poems when they occur to me at random moments. Who has not lost a nifty idea by postponing too long its commitment to paper?

-- 24 Nov 2015, 15:32 --
Latest Review: "Return to the Go-Go" by William Peskett
CallMeMissEllis
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callmemissellis.html

Post by CallMeMissEllis »

Whilst I'm writing my current project I write a pretend diary from the PoV of my MC it sounds really silly but it's fun to think how she'd feel about the situations she's in, and sometimes is even use things that have happened to me throughout the day but make her react to it instead
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

When I was in elementary school I would write in a diary every single day and I would write everything I did, even the most boring stuff like what I ate for lunch. When I got into middle and high school I would write about the drama and major events in my life, but I stopped writing in college and after that. I have read my diary from when I was a kid and it's so interesting to read about what I did, and bringing back all these old memories. I want to write in a journal again so that in the future I can have the same experience.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
sablefalls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sablefalls.html

Post by sablefalls »

Journals are interesting to read. I have tried off and on to write one myself and played with various formats from notebooks to online but find it to be something that ends up falling to the wayside. I admire those that can keep up with this though. This is something that a person could look back on and others could really get to know you through
Pectabyte

Post by Pectabyte »

Does a development blog count as a diary these days? Lol

Return to “Writing Discussion”