Do you write a journal/diary?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Do you write a journal/diary?

Post by Khrysalis »

Oh, yes. I've kept a journal since I learned to write. A relative gave me my first empty diary back then and told me to write and draw in it instead of on the walls.

I don't write in the journal every day, and sometimes months can go by without a new entry. But over the years of my life, I have discovered that the best way I can ensure none of my ideas or plans ever see any action is to speak them aloud to someone. Especially my family. My family loves me, but they are serial dream-killers. Families tend to have to be handled very delicately when it comes to ideas or plans, especially mine. They are practical folk, and they don't take well to gambles, long-shots, or ventures that need a lot of trial and error or planning ahead. It's best I keep it all to myself.

So my journal is a place for ideas and introspection. Occasionally I will report on the progress of my projects. Sometimes I will write down a dream I've had, if it was interesting, and ponder what it might mean and compare it to things that might have been bothering me. If I'm in a disgruntled mood, writing in my journal will help me sort out my feelings. I don't know how I would cope without it.

Of course, I have to admit there are some things I wish I'd never recorded in my life. Like when I was a very young woman and in love. Any of the pages where I was scribbling love-hazed musings? Ugh.
“Truth wasn't something you went out and found. It was wide and vast and deep and unending, and all you could hope to see was a tiny part of it. And to see that part and to mistake it for the whole was to make of Truth a lie.”
― Margaret Weis
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I usually write in a diary but it's really just my laid back venting about life drama in a Word document. It's even titled "Caution Tea Spillage"
Sundasanwer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sundasanwer »

Hey I just went through your discussion topic, it seemed quite interesting so I thought to leave a reply . It’s been more than 15 years since I am writing dairy . :D I find a kind of peace and contentment in writing about my life . There was a time when I used to write daily or weekly or once a month , recall the past and write what soever happened and hit me hard or touched my consciouse in any way. Since life has got very busy I hardly find time to open my dairy I remember last time I opened my dairy I got amazed it took me 4 years to open it and write and made me realize about the pace of time how rapidly it’s going forward without we having realized it . But it was never a reason to demotivate me to write . Mostly I prefer not to write about the sad incidents in my dairy if any one did wrong to me because I might regret later on :P so I take inspiration from the hurt and write now I have transformed my writing into writers blog on Instagram . It’s very easy for me to write on daily basis what so ever I want to write while I am busy chasing my dreams and taking on my responsibilities. :roll: Life is hard but we make it harder :D I can’t stop myself from writing . Though I have lost the inspiration to be poetic :lol2: I just write general stuff , incidents . Alright and I don’t think so you can merge your daily write into a journal if you have then show me how to because I think you can’t find the synchronization in the write . Alright I talk too much . I need to go . Take care :)
AngelaC
Favorite Book: Why can't Johnny Just Quit?
Currently Reading: Rabbit-Proof Fence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelac.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Post by AngelaC »

One thing that I find interesting about journaling is that awareness of who else are you writing for. There are times when I am writing and I don't include things because someday my daughter might get her hands on my little journal, and so she doesn't need to know this and that or I want her to know this and that.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I have many disturbing memories of growing up in a large family where getting your hands on a person's diary was a "fun" pastime. Ugghh. I wish I had kept it up,though. Wish I had just been smarter about disguising it, like put something besides "Diary" on the front...
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I used to, and I always carry a notebook with me, but mostly now I just jot stuff down for stories. You know, character sketches, scenes, ideas that kind of thing.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I tried a few times, but never sticked for long. At first I'd write about what I did for the day. But then I realised this kind of content wasn't quite meaningful, but I switched to writing about what I learnt during the day and trying to describe my emotions.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Yes, I do maintain a personal diary. I started in middle school and haven't stopped since. I don't do the daily writing, and I don't even write every week--it's nothing periodic. I write whenever I feel like it. I find it's great therapy.
What I love about my handwritten diary is that it changes the way I would usually write. I can't write for very long without my wrist starting to hurt, and I wouldn't want to hurt my wrist cos I play racket sports. So, knowing I can't write too much (as opposed to my laptop) my mind subconsciously sets itself to write only the important things in the most concise but still meaningful manner.

I am now on my fifth or sixth diary. I love going over my past writings and compare them and see how I've grown as a person. Sometimes I'm left thinking 'Wow, can't believe I was so stupid' and other times, 'Man, I used to be pretty smart, huh? What's happened to me now?!' it's a pretty cool exercise.

And inspired by Anne Frank, I also have names for each diary, haha. I realize I sound like a pretty strange person now, but oh well, I am what I am, pfft.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

About 2 years ago I started doing morning pages as a New Year's Resolution. It's where you write 3 pages of whatever comes to mind, first thing in the morning. And let me tell you, it changed my life. It has helped me work out a lot of issues, focus on my priorities, figure out why I'm feeling a certain way...now if I let it slip for a week or two, I feel kind of uncomfortable until I pick it up again. I don't worry about anyone else reading it, but my partner is under strict instruction to burn all my old notebooks if I die!
lunablue_x3
Currently Reading: Phenomenology of Perception
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunablue-x3.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by lunablue_x3 »

I'm trying to get back into the habit of journaling, but for some reason I feel self conscious, as if someone is looking over my shoulder as I write. I censor and edit myself far too much.... A few years ago, I destroyed all the journals I had kept over a period of 15 years. I don't remember my motivations for doing so, other than ridding myself of material objects and baggage.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I always had a diary growing up, but I quit when I was a teenager. I picked up that habit again a couple of years ago, and although I don't see major improvements in my writing style that are related to it, I do feel a lot more connected to myself and to my feelings and it's amazing. I have a physical diary, but I also use the Evernote app on my phone because a lot of the times I feel like writing when I'm on the go and I don't have my diary with me. I mostly write about my feelings, about books I'm reading or music that I'm listening to and how they intertwine with my life.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Chirlerona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chirlerona.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: What's Heartfulness? by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Chirlerona »

I do. I used to write a diary when I was at school but then stopped for many years. I have started again a few years ago, as a grown up woman and a Mum! I find it therapeutic and rewarding, when you write about your dreams and then read it back to see what you have achieved.
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

I've been maintaining a journal for the past three years now. I don't usually end up writing about my day, instead, what I do is I write anything and everything that is of interest to me and then put down my own thoughts and notes regarding it.
The result is that I've ended up having a sort of an encyclopedia of random knowledge and information!
I really like this form of journaling. It helps me channel all of my curiosity (and I have a lot of it) into one medium which I know will always be with me.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

I used to keep many journals and diaries. During stressful times of my life, I wrote a lot about the drama that happened within my friends and I. When I read it today, I cringe.

Now, I prefer writing themed journals about things I enjoy. I never managed to keep up with a diary and sometimes I don't like writing about dark events, as I prefer that they stay in the past.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

No but I love to. My only fear is that someone would find it out and will know my inner struggles. I usually write in a doc and then erase it. I always wanted to keep a diary but my mom found my diary once(in my childhood) and beated me a lot. So, I am still afraid. I do not want anyone to know about me.

Return to “Writing Discussion”