Next Writing Contest

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.

What do you want the next writing contest to be?

Poll ended at 10 Sep 2015, 10:54

Poetry Contest
45%
Short Story Contest
36%
Novella Contest
18%

Total votes: 11

zombie99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Please help me is this interesting Redneck Zombies

Post by zombie99 »

What do you think of this please share

Redneck Zombies

The cop car pulled up to the black, rusted, and broken gate leading up to the abandoned mansion of Dam Street. They were responding to noise complaint from the neighbors. The two officers got out of their car and were walking up to the front door thinking it was just high school students having a party inside, they were dead wrong. When they got to the front door they heard screaming coming from inside, without hesitation they busted down the door to find a blood bath.

“Hey, Sandy you going to Chris’s party Friday night?” asked a boy in a sports letterman’s jacket he was tall, dark hair, and very appealing to the high school cheerleaders. His name was Johnny, he played for the Gorillas high school baseball team he always played left field he never let a ball hit the ground. He was very smart he had a scholarship to Cal-Maritime academy in Oroville, CA.

“I don’t know I am supposed to babysit that night for the Walsh’s and I know Brent is going to be stupid drunk there.” Said Sandy walking to class it was fourth period she had history. She was the smartest student at Gorilla’s high school. She has blonde hair, green eyes, and always wore a pretty outfit that has all the guys looking at her.
They were both walking at a steady place Johnny rested against the classroom bell trying desperately to get Sandy to go, but she wasn’t budging an inch. The bell rang everyone entered the classroom and took their seats Johnny started walking then yelled something.
“Well if you don’t want to go, can I come over and you can help me with math!” asked Johnny hoping that Sandy would say yes to his proposal. Right before Sandy entered the classroom Johnny’s phone goes off buzzing it was his dad sending him a text message then it buzzes again an this time it was Sandy she said she would love to help him with his math homework.
Johnny texts back can’t wait for Friday night, then looks at his dad’s message. His dad works at the highly classified army base research and development lab hidden in the forest. His dad wants Johnny to stop by after school. Johnny is hoping that he didn’t do something wrong, so he texts back saying I’ll be there as soon as possible. He decided it was best if he wasn’t late to his math class, so he sprinted to the class barely making it on time.
After school, Johnny got into his f-100 pickup that his father bought him for his birthday. He took the back road to the entrance. He was stopped by a military guard. They knew each other and the guard asked what he did now. Johnny shrugged his shoulders and drove through parking by the gate. He made his way to the lab where his father worked, but his father seemed to have disappeared he wasn’t there.
Johnny walked back outside and asked the guard if his dad left the base? The guard seemed confused, the only way in or out was through the gate or underground tunnels. The base wasn’t that big even a guard could see everything for half a mile. Johnny’s father never left his car was still there parked in its usual parking spot. Johnny showed the guard the text from his father.
Maybe he went into the mess hall while I was on break. Said the guard, the guard pointed to a big tent like building in the middle of the base. Johnny started walking to the mess hall when he heard gun fire coming from the lab. The guard and Johnny quickly went to go investigate, what they saw was horrific. Blood was all over the walls, the lab was a complete wreck and in the corner was Johnny’s father holding an m16 assault rifle in his hands cursing with every breath he took.
hhhsquare35
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by hhhsquare35 »

I love short story contests. Is there one coming up in 2017? I love to write short stories.
JJenson
Currently Reading: Grapes of Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjenson.html

Post by JJenson »

I'll take on any contest, even poetry. But if it's poetry you'll probably get something about a man from Nantucket.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

How do we enter? This would be a good opportunity.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I agree I think there should be another writing contest
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Abfaniki »

Hi Poetry writing contest.

that my opinion.
living
Currently Reading: King's Warrior
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by living »

I would prefer poetry but who is there to give us the rethym of the poems?better still lets go for short stories.
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Well am just remembering how I did it while I was in High School and College.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I want a writing contest too. I think it would be a lot of fun reading the stories of fellow members and voting on them.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
magicquill
Currently Reading: Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicquill.html

Post by magicquill »

I actually would like to have a poetry contest.
Because if you've found meaning in your life, you don't want to go back. You want to go forward.

- Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
Talent Rusinga
Currently Reading: Today's Embrace
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Talent Rusinga »

Hie everyone. I am a newbie here and am super excited to be here, are thre any writing contests going on at the moment?
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

How about something like the "For sale: Baby shoes. Never worn." story? Ask for stories shorter than 10 (or whatever) words. Could open up the contest to all fields, as it could cross poetry, fiction, or non-fiction.
brownsugar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brownsugar »

i really wan to enter in a 25 word novel
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Short story please
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

I'm a newbie here, but as well as being an avid reader (and a librarian) I also love writing. I've had a few short stories published, but my ultimate goal is a novel. I'm about half way through one now, so will see how that goes. Definitely interested in any short story comps!
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Return to “Writing Discussion”