Favorite part of writing a review?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Re: Favorite part of writing a review?

Post by Renee Bella »

My favourite part if writing a review is reading the book. Experiencing a new world is wonderful and I love that each book is different (obviously). However, I my least favourite part is the fear that I have that I won't do the book justice. But, I have faith that my writing and my love of books will carry me through :).
Write your own destiny...
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

My favorite part of writing the reviews is voicing my frustrations. I write a much better review when the book is horrible than I do if I've really liked it.
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
ericawatkins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ericawatkins »

Favorite part: analyzing the work
Least favorite: compiling my notes
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

LivreAmour217 wrote:My favorite part of book reviewing is getting the opportunity to share enjoyable books with others. In my everday life, I don't often get to discuss books, and reviewing allows me to do just that. My least favorite part is having to write negative reviews for those not-so-great books. I believe that honesty is the best policy, but I still feel bad for the author when I have to give a book a low rating.
It is hard to write negative reviews. I always try to find something encouraging for the author when it's necessary to give a low rating.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

ALynnPowers wrote:I like getting free books out of it. 8)
I definitely have to agree with you. Getting free books to read is amazing! However, my least favourite part of writing a review is when I don't like the book, yet I can't point out the flaws, or I like the book, but I can't seem to find out the great parts of the book. I'm just stuck there, rereading the book but still unable to succeed in coming up with a review for the book. However, I still find writing reviews quite fun!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

My favourite part is the conclusion, especially if it is something like this: 'the book is total rubbish'. I know it is cruel, but if the book is written only for commercial purposes and is really rubbish I kind of enjoy confessing it. I also enjoy writing introductions.

What I do not enjoy is retelling of the plot. It is always allready given on the cover so I only have to tell it in my own words. So it is often boring...
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

When I write a review, I love explaining the plot and what you can expect from the book. What I don't like is having to critically evaluate even the most beautiful books
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

Least favorite part is definitely writing the things I disliked about the book. I try to be constructive in order to help the author, but sometimes if I really didn't like a book, it's hard to put a positive spin on it and I don't want to be too harsh.

Best part, reading the books before a lot of people get to! I think it's fun knowing people may value my opinion and may choose to read or not read the book based on what I say.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Favorite Part: Pointing out positive aspects of a book's themes, characters, and other parts. I'm new, so I haven't discovered a book yet that I would give a negative review (like a one star book), but I enjoy finding good things about the books I read. :)

Least Favorite Part: Rating the book on a scale of 4 stars. The system is fine, but I usually take hours to decide on what the rating should be. :(
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Favorite parts: I enjoy picking out the book to review and being able to let others know how much I enjoyed reading it (If it's a good book). If the review can spark an interesting discussion, even better.

Least Favorite: Writing a negative review. Writers put so much work and heart into their books and I feel bad about saying negative things.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

P_hernandez wrote:My favorite part of writing the reviews is voicing my frustrations. I write a much better review when the book is horrible than I do if I've really liked it.
Haha, I somewhat agree with you. I feel like when a book gets a strong emotion out of me, either bad or good, then that makes for better writing. Other times, when a book is unoriginal or just average then I'm not left with much to discuss. :P
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I like reading books, and I like expressing my opinion about them that I can communicate to a larger audience of book lovers. So, the writing part is fun- getting into the author's head and translating to others who he or she had in mind when they wrote their book is fun for me. Also, getting free books!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

Book review is such an interpersonal skill ,It's main goal to show your view in such a manner that other at least bound to ponder in different way.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I enjoy writing reviews because I get to help other people finds books they might like. I also like to write them as it gives me a way to express my love of books.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

My favorite part of writing a review is sneaking little jokes in so it doesn't seem as dull, and so it stnds out a tad bit more. However, I don't like being required to sum up a book in just a few sentences. A lot of the books I review have plots that are way too complicated to summarize in just two sentences, and when I make the summary brief, I feel as if the people reading won't get the book in trying to explain.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Writing Discussion”