If you ever published a novel, who would you dedicate it to?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: If you ever published a novel, who would you dedicate it

Post by DarthMom25 »

I would dedicate it to my son first. Next would be my creative writing teacher from high school who was a huge inspiration to me. Then it wouls be anyone I felt contributed to the book in some way or another.
jmas1404
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmas1404.html

Post by jmas1404 »

I would dedicate my book to 4 people. My grandmother, for being an amazing example to me. She loved unconditionally and supported anything I did. She taught me so much about life and how to be a Godly woman. I would also dedicate it to my parents for raising me with principles and a strong work ethic. They pushed me every time I wanted to give up. My biggest fans. And last, my best friend Becca. She never let me believe I was anything short of awesome. She fought for me when I wasn't strong enough to fight for myself.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

My husband and kids, my parents, my grandparents....... there are so many worthy of the dedication.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Mys
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys.html

Post by Mys »

My mom called dibs on all dedications. Thus I have to list her since she asked and is my mom.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I would dedicate first to my husband for being supportive, then my family for the love and support they've given me my entire life. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Insightsintobooks »

If I ever wrote a book I would dedicate it to my grandmother. She was the most loving person I know. She always encouraged me.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
A Cup of Positivity
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-cup-of-positivity.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by A Cup of Positivity »

I think the first people I would mention is my family. My mom for her caring spirit and weird humor. My niece for being my number one fan and for always having faith in me even when I do weird things. My brother for never looking down on what I do. My dad for his financial support.

Next, I would definitely mention my boyfriend. He's really loving, reads what I write, and encourages me to always improve myself as well as persevere.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

If I ever wrote published a novel, I would dedicate it to my family first and then all my writing heroes.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

my older sister , definitely.she's always got my back and has a knack of recognizing things am good at or any little accomplishments i make ahead of anyone else
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

This one is easy :) It would be my mother, no doubt. Of course, the rest of the family as well as friends and beta readers, but she would be the first on the list.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

I would dedicate my novel to God and all my family members.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I will dedicate it to my family, mostly my wife, kids, and parents.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I would have to dedicate it to my old classmate because irregardless of the fact that she's in another country now, there isn't a single day that she ever stopped encouraging me. When I need to brainstorm she's always available at whataver hour. When I feel discouraged or m suffering from writers block one the cure is literally one text message away. I feel blessed to have someone in my life who believes in me more than I believe in myself. No one in my immediate reach cares for my love of literature and art. They almost see it as a waste of time, so I'm go glad to have her.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

To all the ones that I care... husband, family, friends, etc. and last but not least to myself.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Alynnes wrote:I definitely agree this is an important question. I love to read the dedication page of a book. When it's really creative, impressively written, or poignant, I am much more eager to read the book. (Yes, judging a book by its dedication page!)

I would absolutely dedicate my first [hypothetical] book to my mom for her inspiration, encouragement, and patience.

My advice would be to dedicate your book to a very specific audience that you hope will connect with the book. If you're writing about kids in school, dedicate it to students who stood up to bullies to defend others, for example, or to the teachers who help kids rediscover their curiosity. If you're writing a historical fiction about the Holocaust, write a memorandum to those who lost their lives or loved ones, or those who learned to trust again. If you're writing about unicorns or monsters in a fantasy land, dedicate it to your imaginary friends who are still the constant inspiration for your books!

As your book progresses, I would pay special attention to where you find inspiration and who encourages you most. You'll know who deserves a dedication when they come into your life in some way.

Thanks so much Alynnes, for your reply!

I was planning to dedicate my first book to my mother. After reading your suggestions, I realised it would be more profound to dedicate the book to my mother and all women whose lived experiences as mothers and wives are parallel to hers.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Writing Discussion”