If you ever published a novel, who would you dedicate it to?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
MyBrokeCollegeLife
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mybrokecollegelife.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: If you ever published a novel, who would you dedicate it

Post by MyBrokeCollegeLife »

I would dedicate it first to my parents and second to my 9th grade literacy teacher, as she was the first non relative to tell me that I had something to say in this world, and it was worth sharing. However, I wouldn't worry to much about whether you feel your dedication is cheesy or trying to hard to make it unique. The dedication is your only chance to share your appreciation for those that helped you get where you are today, and it should strictly be based on who you want to recognize. The dedication isn't your selling point, it's your chance to give back to the people who seen you at your breaking point and told you to continue writing anyway, that listened to you rant about your story over and over no matter how many times they have heard you tell that exact same scene, or showed you that you had the power to make a difference with your writing when you stopped believing that it would ever be enough.
readinreed
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinreed.html
Latest Review: "WICK" by Matt Doyle

Post by readinreed »

I would dedicate my novel to three people, my grandmother who is the original writer in the family and my writing inspiration, my mother who instilled in me my love of books, and my husband who encouraged me to put all my stories down on paper.
Latest Review: "WICK" by Matt Doyle
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

My new mystery novel was just released, and I received the complimentary copies from my publisher last week. It's such a treat to hold your book in your hands. My dedication?

I spoke about the friends who proffered good suggestions to me about specific things in my novel, then about the mystery writers whom I admire, and closed with thanks to the lovely lady in my life.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

To my past, for making me who I am today.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

To the Squirrel that lives in the three in my garden.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I mean the books I have in mind are actually meant for people who go through or have gone through the struggles and adversities I want to write about. So, I would say I would dedicate those books to the people who have experienced those adversities.
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

With the novel I'm planning to write, I would dedicate it to my parents. The subject matter indirectly relates to how they helped me as a child so it would only be fair. Also, as it would be my debut, I think they'd be offended if I didn't :lol:.
Write your own destiny...
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I would dedicate it to those who do nor read :) but only in that case if the book was humorous. Otherwise I would dedicate it to someone dear.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

It seems logical and honorable to dedicate the book to people who have inspired me to actually achieve the success and freedom of having a published work. But I know for a fact my family wouldn't understand my story and they'd get offended at the subject matter. So I'd probably just dedicate it to myself lol. Like the saddest, drinking alone on a Saturday night kind of dedication to me. It would seem weird at first, but someone recently told me that in order to succeed, one must be a tad narcissistic lol. (I would probably never actually dedicate it to myself, though.)
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
MystiB84
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystib84.html

Post by MystiB84 »

I have always been fascinated where authors and writers get their inspiration. I, too like to read the dedication page of a new book to find out where that came from. For me, it would really depend on what I was writing about. In high school, I wrote hundreds of poems and I would have to dedicate those to my ex boyfriends, who were the inspiration behind all my fears, tears, and heartaches I thought I'd never get over. Had I written anything happy and joyful, it would have to go to my grandfather. He was always there for me and I miss him every day even though it has been 22 years since his passing.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Myself, of course :roll:
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I would definitely dedicate mine to my mom. She has always been my number one supporter. Through everything in life. She was there when I miscarried, when I finally was able to have a baby, when I graduated high school, graduated college. She is ALWAYS 100% there for me. She deserves the dedication :D
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
JudyM5

Post by JudyM5 »

My husband, who has always been supportive when the rejection slips have landed on the doormat. Now I am going to be published he is upbeat when I'm having doubts. He is also handy with a corkscrew when wine o'clock comes round.
Joy V Smith
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy V Smith »

I've dedicated my books to my parents, sisters, friends who helped me with my writing, my editors, and members of a forum who helped me with my research for my post-apocalyptic novel.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

First, my wife, because she's been incredibly supportive and basically gave me permission to treat writing seriously. I probably wouldn't have started pursuing writing in the way I have if I hadn't had her in my life saying, "You should go write. It's good for you."

After that, anybody who contributed materially the book, in terms of research, editing, beta-reading, and letting me bounce ideas off of them.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Return to “Writing Discussion”