Unfortunate autocorrects

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Re: Unfortunate autocorrects

Post by Fran »

Jyak wrote:My auto-corrects always seem to be mainly sexual as I could probably put together an erotic novel with my expansive collection.
Here are a few:
Immature -> I'm mating
Victoria (name) -> Victoria's Secret
Gulp -> G-spot
Meet me -> Meme me
Slitting -> Slutting
Enjoy the idea of a short story with these words replaced.
Let me know your worst auto-correct fails. Thanks! XD
I'm sure Sigmund Freud could make something of that :eusa-think:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

That happens all the time. It's awkward when it corrects name and you don't realise it before you send the message.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I am writing a book with a character named Chris... but it keeps coming up as "Christ" ... I'm not sure if it's me or the computer, but either way, I am thinking of changing his name before I offend some people.
RuthAnn0211
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthann0211.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by RuthAnn0211 »

My personal favorite Auto correct moment was a text conversation between my husband and I. I was feeling very under the weather and was trying to say "I feel like poop" (yes I said poop, not another form of the word ;-P) and it auto corrected to "I lick poop". My husband and I got quite a laugh out of that one.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

RuthAnn0211 wrote:My personal favorite Auto correct moment was a text conversation between my husband and I. I was feeling very under the weather and was trying to say "I feel like poop" (yes I said poop, not another form of the word ;-P) and it auto corrected to "I lick poop". My husband and I got quite a laugh out of that one.
LOL. This one is hilarious. I'm curious - if this was your favorite, how many autocorrect moments have you had?
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Now here's a thought. You know what would be interesting? To force yourself to redirect the story by keeping the "unfortunate autocorrect" in and building the story around it.

("Are you jealous?" But instead it came out as, "Are you Jesus?" )

"Are you Jesus?", said Sean.

My first impression was that Sean was attempting to introduce a bit of levity into our luncheon talk, but the wild look in his eyes convinced me that he was having a psychological meltdown right there in the restaurant. I needed to bring him back to reality immediately and all I could think to do was to throw the contents of my water glass directly into his face before he began to act out in public but my plan proved to be futile.

"You are NOT Jesus! You are John The Baptist! I am now certain of it!"
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

One of the MOST annoying auto-correct for me is that whenever I'm trying to text my friend, her name always appears as Miller. Another appears as X-mas. I have had to explain countless times to my friend why I called her Christmas.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

Haha......I never had experiences like those.(Or maybe I had... I just can't remember)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I have disabled this function for a long time. It is pretty hard to do all the corrections manually. Yet I don not have to re-correct the funny auto-corrects which I used to get when the function was enabled
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I see auto-correct as a demented, soulless, twisted demon who is determined to embarrass and humiliate me to my friends and family.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Ah... auto-correct's at it again. I rarely use my phone or tabloid to write, but I use Grammarly for writing on the computer, and it often crosses out my punctuations and red-lined my "colours" and "favourites".
Zoey141
Currently Reading: elephant vanishes
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Zoey141 »

These auto corrects are frustrating for the writer and hilarious for the reader. I have the habit of typing really fast in order to maintain the flow of my thoughts. Sometimes there are spelling errors and auto corrects that I detect days later when I do a thorough grammar check. Sadly, I can't remember any of the funny auto corrects that i encountered over the years.

Return to “Writing Discussion”