Why do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Why do you write?

Post by moderntimes »

Yes, either sanity or insanity (depending on which of my ex-girlfriends you ask, ha ha)

Thankfully I was read to and taught how to read by my parents as soon as I showed interest, even before.

A small memory as to just how confused I was when young... At about age 10 or 11 I'd read through all the kiddie lit books at my local library, or at least all the adventure and history books that piqued my interest, so my folks gladly signed for me to receive a "growup" library card that allowed me to check out any book I wanted.

Wow! I was set free, unfettered into the world of literature. So I proudly showed off my new library card to my playmate neighbor kids, and I was surprised that they had no interest in this at all, the child or adult library, cared not a whit.

And that was when I began to isolate myself, some of that good, some not so.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
emmadbaker1
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Prisoner of Azkaban
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmadbaker1.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by emmadbaker1 »

I write simply so I won't explode. Every day new plots bubble in my mind. The only way to find peace is to put them down on paper. I write every bit of an idea that pops into my head, simply out of fear of losing the inspiration. If I don't write, I'm just an empty shell, doing nothing of importance.
Ssirren39
Favorite Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Favorite Book: East of Eden
Currently Reading: Nothing at the moment
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssirren39.html
fav_author_id: 3139

Post by Ssirren39 »

I write for a few reasons. I write for my coursework (i'm studying psychology and am learning to be a critical thinker), I write to get my feelings out when I get frustrated and I find it's easier to write down how I feel rather than ending up in an argument with someone, or I write simply for my own pleasure. I've wanted to write a book for a long time now, but life has kept me from it, so sometimes I'll just write down ideas and then work on putting a story together.
cwfan2
Favorite Author: Efrain Palermo
Favorite Book: Alien Cartel
Currently Reading: Alien Cartel

Post by cwfan2 »

I write to earn money. i write content for websites and sometimes write a story or two. Content writing can be very profitable if you find the right sites to join. Most give you a test to see if you are able to write gramatically correct sentences and organize the subject matter in an intellegent informative way. I've been doing this for several years and recently decided to try my hand at forum writing.
Sue Nuckles
Content Writer
Hypocrisy is a virtue for a content writer.
KathyT

Post by KathyT »

I write because I can express myself fully and I feel that I communicate better in writing down my thoughts.
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

I DON'T write, unfortunately. I want to write because I love books and I think I could write something worth reading. However, in the past whenever I began writing, I would be quickly discouraged by the chasm between what I wrote and the nearest good book (say War and Peace, lol).

I've taken an early retirement now, and one of the things I want to do is give writing a serious shot. I'm going to take Anne Lamott's advice to plan on writing "sh***y first drafts," and then build on whatever is worthwhile. That should keep discouragement at bay temporarily, anyway.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
verymuchmeg
Favorite Author: Kirsten Miller
Favorite Book: The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern
Currently Reading: The Brontes by Juliet Barker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verymuchmeg.html
fav_author_id: 22721

Post by verymuchmeg »

Because it is one of the few things I can do well enough to get paid for it, because it is how I process the world and express myself, and because it feels as if it is the best way I can contribute to the world.
tangowithParis

Post by tangowithParis »

@DickDatchery
Ibid. Have the same problem. But will never stop trying.
surveymylife
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surveymylife.html

Post by surveymylife »

I'm non-confrontational by nature, but when I write, I can argue. I can be aggressive with my words. I can express my true feelings. Only through writing can I truly be myself. In most conversations, I passively agree with the things people are saying just to shut them up. Inside, I'm screaming at them. I want to tell them: "your words and your whole life is meaningless!" With a pen to paper, I can create characters who defy societal norms and break free from the repetition of daily existence. Writing promotes catharsis!
Brybear28
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brybear28.html
Latest Review: "Passive Income with Android" by Raj Patel
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Brybear28 »

I write because I feel things deeply and I'm easily hurt, but its very hard for me to open up to people.
Latest Review: "Passive Income with Android" by Raj Patel
krista0610
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista0610.html

Post by krista0610 »

I write to keep my head on straight.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

When I was little, writing was a great way for me to express my feelings. Sometimes I couldn't really talk to people and tell them why I felt the way I felt, but when I wrote them letters, everything came out. I write because it's the best way for me to express myself. I also really enjoy it and it's a great hobby.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Tseve87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tseve87.html

Post by Tseve87 »

I write not just because I love to write, but it is also a way to put my feelings down. I am not a very open person when it comes to expressing my feelings. I bottle everything up and writing was and is how I work though everything. Anything that I need to work out I write it down in my stories which are mostly fiction.
bethdearie
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethdearie.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by bethdearie »

I write because I always have a hundred thoughts swimming in my head. I have to write or else the thoughts will keep badgering me until I do.
tracy1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy1.html

Post by tracy1 »

I write because I get to create a world for the reader. Writing allows us an escape from the problems we have in life as we get to use our imagination to create a story for our readers and bring our characters to life. I also write just for the fact its something I enjoy doing. It allows me to express my thoughts on the pages. Another reason I write is because its creative and I like to use my imagination to come up with stories and poems. And sometimes I just have these ideas in my head that I can't wait to get down on paper. Writing is something that I have done from a young age and I believe my love of reading has helped inspire me to write so that I can create my own stories. I write in hopes of reaching my dreams and having some of my writing published.

Return to “Writing Discussion”