Why do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Tabbycat42
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why do you write?

Post by Tabbycat42 »

I write because it is fun. I write to escape reality. I write to give voice to the characters screaming in my head. I write because I love it.
passionatereader16

Post by passionatereader16 »

I write to get the characters out of my head. They seem so stampeding there ready for anything, and I feel like I'd be a terrible friend to them if I didn't let them go on their adventures through my writing. I have written stories for so long, I can't imagine not doing it. My biggest challenge is that I haven't finished anything yet.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I have always been much more comfortable with writing than conversing in general. I also like the peace and calm I feel when I write especially if I feel emotional.
Rodel Barnachea

Tabbycat42 wrote: 04 Jan 2015, 10:54 I write because it is fun. I write to escape reality. I write to give voice to the characters screaming in my head. I write because I love it.
Yeah, I also write because it's fun. It's fun to experiment with characters and different plotlines and structures. I also like it when my English teacher praises me, haha.
Rodel Barnachea

Hadiqa wrote: 23 Nov 2014, 04:30 Because I want to :D
Yes! Sometimes, there should not be any deep reasons to justify writing especially that we know writing to be essential.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I'm a thinker, and I think my thoughts are important for me and other people. That's why I write to make people read my thoughts.
FrazierWing

Post by FrazierWing »

I write when I stumble upon something I feel is novel or original, or poignant and I feel proud of my thought or thoughts that I have. Some beauty or quality I become a bit self absorbed and feel good about myself for saying something clever with my words. Make myself laugh like some kind of idiot. It makes me feel like I'm some kind of genius, a cut above everyone else. Might well be illusionary. Might be delusional. If I do have talent might not be something to be so proud of. Even if I was the greatest writer of all time, being the greatest, as a mere writer, is low on the totem pole of things to be proud of. Writing is nothing to write about. When I write, it's because I'm suffering from some kind of mental disorder.

When I read books, half the time I don't actually know what's going on, I often pretend like I do. I don't know if most people are like that. There are so many books out there. I read basic ones, like Enders game by Orson Scott-Card or Harry Potter, that's the kind of writing that I can get into. Sophisticated writing like Shakespeare, I can read it, I can pretend to understand what's going on, but unless I read a summary, or try really hard to study it. I'm pretty lost. Even when I know what's going on, I forget what was said like right after reading.

The reason I'm writing right now, is I just want to communicate, I'd prefer to have a conversation, that's positive. Something not involving politics or sadness. I'm in a Disney movie right now, this reality is made by Disney. Please don't spoil that. It's precious to me. Few places on the internet are safe from depravities, politics and woe.
Hannah_Keos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-keos.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Hannah_Keos »

I write because it clears out all the ruckus in my head. It isn't always emotions; fleeting ideas or memories also pop up. I like playing out stories and characters from my favorite books, in ways the original author didn't. I believe writing to myself helps me identify who I am and how I change over time; it feels like the most honest assessment. The act of writing organizes my imagination.
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

I don't write terribly often. I have come up with a couple of storylines but they haven't gotten anywhere. I have tried my hand at writing poetry and I seem to have a better time with it.

I have always had a hard time expressing my emotions. Writing both my thoughts and feelings help me get them out. I can look at them and have a better time finding out what to do.

I have never been one who was allowed to openly express my opinions on any matter. Writing has allowed an avenue in which I can freely express those opinions, even if no one sees them.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

JKPoindexter wrote: 08 Jun 2014, 20:58 I always found it easier to write my feelings and thoughts down about things instead of actually telling the person how I felt. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not. But for me it is the best way to get my point across. And it's also easier to describe things by writing them down, it gives me time to think about what I want to say.
I will take your words as mine because they mean everything I would write to justify why I write.
ref89

Post by ref89 »

I love creativity. And sometimes a lot of different thoughts appear in my head that is difficult to voice. It is much easier to express my thoughts on paper. I am inspired by the process of writing - when you eat, walk, sleep, and dialogues, new scenes are constantly spinning in my head.
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

I write because I have to. There are so many stories in my head that they would consume me if I didn't let them flow over onto paper. I carry a notebook everywhere because I can't listen to a song or have a conversation or walk down the street without seeing stories all around me. I am words and plot twists and dialogue. I am a novel, an epic, a short story. Men are made up of stories. I am one of those who sees them and lives on them like I live on water.
anna-augustynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-augustynn.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by anna-augustynn »

I write because I feel important, I feel I can express myself properly. I enjoy writing because it is calming you down, relaxing. It is very good to be familiar with different writing techniques and polish your grammar. There is a feeling that you can teach or instruct others.
Tosin Olabode
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-olabode.html
Latest Review: Breakers by Barry Litherland

Post by Tosin Olabode »

I write because it's the only way to get some of these thoughts out of my head. Also there's a saying that writers are readers moved to action. I guess this describes me.
Noeland

Post by Noeland »

Hello!
I write because I have mercury and the fortune part in my house 3 of my birth chart.

Thanks for accepting me

Return to “Writing Discussion”