Why do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
karanmehra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why do you write?

Post by karanmehra »

I have been writing for many years and love it. I can express myself a lot better in words.
Lisarey1990
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisarey1990.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr

Post by Lisarey1990 »

As a form of self-expression or to try to create stories in my own way influenced by my favourite writers. Also because I enjoy it.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
darkfae2317
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander Series
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkfae2317.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by darkfae2317 »

Asking why do I write is like asking why do you breath? It's so much a part of me, I've been writing since I was in grade school. A write poetry a lot when I'm emotional. I write a lot of short stories, too
Johntherobert
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johntherobert.html

Post by Johntherobert »

Resolve the conflict.
krobidoux

Post by krobidoux »

I can write something to someone when I am upset with them a lot better than I can actually talk to them. I tend to shut off when I am in an argument, but when I have pen and paper I have all kinds of things to say.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I write because there are way too many things going on inside my head, and I have to get them out of there or else I will go crazy.

I write because the voices tell me to...
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

I agree, mostly to write down thoughts that I cannot express otherwise. Though I have also found writing to be quite therapeutic
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

CharlotteWolf wrote:I agree, mostly to write down thoughts that I cannot express otherwise. Though I have also found writing to be quite therapeutic
I know the feeling! Self therapy! Much cheaper than that other stuff.... 8)
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

It started out because I didn't like the endings of certain stories so I rewrote them to how I like it. Helped me sleep better. Then it became a safety mechanism for me when I faced highly emotional situations during the years I was bullied. It was also something no one else was doing in my class and it gave me something to do when I was outcasted. I never thought of being a writer at that time. It was just a way to cope with emotions and when I did realize that I wanted to become a writer, I just went for it. It's an outlet for my emotions and my creativity. It gives me freedom of sorts.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I'm writing my trilogy because I have a story inside my head that is bursting to come out. I love to sit at my laptop and let each scene unfold and each character develop as the book progresses. Now that I'm two-thirds of the way through, the storyline never leaves me. Wherever I am, especially out walking, I'm constructing dialogue, or sometimes action scenes. Writing has taken over my life right now, and I find myself annoyed at having to do even essential everyday chores.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

For me writing let's me express my thoughts and lets me put my imagination and feeling on paper.When I am sad or happy I write my thoughts out and I always feel much better.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

Hmmm... for me writing poetry is trying to convey my emotions and expressing myself.

However, when I write a story I'm not writing my story or a story was created by me but I am writing a story told to me by the characters. My job is to make sense of what they tell me and give their story form (much like a sculptor). I think certain times make certain stories come to light and I believe it is why you get similar stories being published at the same time (IE Strong female living in a Dystopian society).

Divergent, Hunger Games and Prodigy all come to mind (All strong females in a dystopian society) which all were published around the same time.

Granted my view is probably not a common one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
nickherc

Post by nickherc »

I write simply because I have to. It's like breathing or eating or drinking, I have to do it. There is no choice, thing inside grows to the point, it has to come out, no matter what. A nice feeling.
krishnananda

Post by krishnananda »

when get any ideas then I write.Because I can not remember any ideas.
bedheadisme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bedheadisme.html

Post by bedheadisme »

I write because I love it. I love the feeling of introspection and I have always been able to best understand myself once I've written. Sometimes when my thoughts are so jumbled and I don't even know how I feel I sit down and let the pen do my writing for me. It's not always good. But it gives me clarity.

Return to “Writing Discussion”