Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
mina3177
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by mina3177 »

It depends, but usually I need to be alone to put my imagination into practice and to be able to concentrate. I can be surrounded by people but the condition is to be left alone with my thoughts or if I participate in conversation it should be the inspiring one.
Alexa_Fernandez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexa_Fernandez »

I don't mind being alone but I can't have people constantly trying to talk to me. It breaks my flow. There's nothing more frustrating to a writer.
Braktooth
Currently Reading: The Virtues of Captain America
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braktooth.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Braktooth »

Yeah, it's much easier if I'm alone. Being in the dark helps too.
Rabecca Witzke
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rabecca-witzke.html
Latest Review: "IInventedYouTube.com : TheREALYouTubeStory.com" by Eric Skaggs

Post by Rabecca Witzke »

I used to need to be alone when I wrote, but now I have two children under two and my husband and I are expecting baby #3 in March 2017. When I write now, it is usually in the morning when my youngest is down for a nap or in the afternoon/evening when both kids are sleeping. Occasionally I try to write while they are both awake but someone always ends up climbing into my lap or stepping on my lap top.
Latest Review: "IInventedYouTube.com : TheREALYouTubeStory.com" by Eric Skaggs
sreeja karthik1803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sreeja-karthik1803.html

Post by sreeja karthik1803 »

I actually prefer sitting alone with mild music to write. I always carry some paper and pen with me so that when something actually strikes me I can note it down and then later I can work on it. This way I will not loose any idea that has come to me.
Braktooth

Post by Braktooth »

sreeja karthik1803 wrote:I always carry some paper and pen with me so that when something actually strikes me I can note it down and then later I can work on it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Making sure you don't lose the notepad is key though.
emthomas1
Reading Device: B0163GNS5S

Post by emthomas1 »

Definitely alone and preferably dead silence. I marvel at the folks that can go to a place like Starbucks, etc., and be even remotely productive. Certainly not me.
E.M. Thomas
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

Alone, other than the music. To much noise gets in the way of progress.
Braktooth

Post by Braktooth »

emthomas1 wrote:Definitely alone and preferably dead silence. I marvel at the folks that can go to a place like Starbucks, etc., and be even remotely productive. Certainly not me.
I can't work in total silence. It gets too distracting. I tend to need music that I can just ignore.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I can't focus in complete silence. Seems like I work best with background noise of some type. I always play quiet music in my office.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Yes. I'm not good with distractions around either when I read OR write.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
L Anthony Skelton
Favorite Author: Hugh Howey
Currently Reading: The Bulls of War
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2829

Post by L Anthony Skelton »

Absolutely. Solitude. Nobody around.
Although I can achieve the same at Starbucks in a pinch.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I like to be alone when I do anything that doesn't involve other people. Thus, when I reading a novel or listening to an album or watching a movie or writing, unless my plans involve another person/people, I prefer to be alone
My weekend is all booked!
themistymountain
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themistymountain.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by themistymountain »

Oh, yes! I am not only an introvert...I am also extremely self conscious. My family members will walk into the room and peer over my shoulder...and I will be like: "Oh, no! They're going to see the line that would ruin part of the story for them.". Or (yes) they will ask what I'm writing. And I will be thinking: "Oh...this story will take too long to explain, and I have to get this stuff on 'paper' before I forget!". Or I'll be thinking they probably think that what I'm writing is dreadful. :) :( :)

Environment to write in: Outdoors with click pencil and paper, or in my mini office/studio room inside (door closed) on Microsoft Word. Or the good ole' pencil and paper.
Braktooth

Post by Braktooth »

klbradley wrote:I can't focus in complete silence. Seems like I work best with background noise of some type. I always play quiet music in my office.
That's me exactly. Probably because there's no such thing as absolute silence. When there's no constant background noise though (hopefully quiet), every sound is amplified and distracts me. Libraries are tough, unless I can listen to music.

Return to “Writing Discussion”