Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ellie_D
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-d.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by Ellie_D »

Of course that way i am more productive and i have better ideas, if i have someone around me it distracts me.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I usually like to be by myself in a quiet area. I get too distracted with noise and I tend to people-watch so I don't like to have anyone around while I'm writing.
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

I feel that when I have a brilliant idea and the inspiration to turn this idea into something (moderately) great, I don't care what is happening around me; all I care about is the idea and the process of writing. However, sometimes I need my full concentration in order to be able to write. In these cases, I most certainly would prefer to be alone.
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear
jgrimshaw
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgrimshaw.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by jgrimshaw »

Depends if it’s academic writing or creative writing. If it’s an academic piece I have to be alone and I struggle with getting words out when writing in class. But if it’s a creative piece, I can write anywhere at anytime. But I mostly prefer to be alone in my room at night with my cats.
"Meow meow." - My cats :animals-cat:
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

It depends on what is happening in my environment and who I'm with. I know for a fact that I cannot write if I'm with my family because they're too inconsistent in their activities and extremely distracting and talkative. I've found that I can write with my boyfriend in the room with me, as long as he's gaming with headphones on because any noises he makes are random and quiet enough that they don't disturb me.
If I am completely alone, I have to listen to some type of instrumental music or soundtracks (without lyrics) because complete silence gets to be a bit overbearing. But I can't have the TV on in the background or have music with lyrics because the words distract me too much.
To my surprise, I've also found that I can write fairly well in places like Starbucks (as long as conversation is generally evenly placed), because it's a decent amount of ambient noise without anything demanding my attention.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I like to be alone when I'm writing. Being with people around can affect my thinking process.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I like to be physically alone because other people can be very disrespectful to my peace - except when I was a student and worked in the library. But for the most part physically alone but with a chat open so I can bounce ideas off friends.
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

My husband and I both work from home, and he is on the phone most of the time. In a lot of ways I would prefer to alone to write, but on the other hand, once I actually get immersed in what I am doing, I might as well be alone. TV is the biggest thing I cannot tolerate.
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Adealaric
Currently Reading: The Grapes of Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Adealaric »

Yes. It aids my Concentration.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I like to be alone with total quiet when I write. First thing in the morning, after meditation, works best for me.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

A story is always running through my head. I do a lot of writing in my recliner with some sports show on in the background, laptop open on my lap, Kindle on one side, iPad on the other, and my phone thrown in there for good measure. In spite of all the chaos that I am used to at home, it's tough for me to concentrate in a public place. I always feel like people are reading over my shoulder, even though I know they really don't give a flying fig what I'm doing.
tatsueigo
Favorite Book: Murder in Orient Express
Currently Reading: A Woman's Prerogative
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by tatsueigo »

Yes. If my mother asks me to watch television with her I can't concentrate at all. Sometimes I write with a friend on skype and through sharing my screen she can read what I'm writing, but then I'm particularly distracted.
ferry flawless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferry-flawless.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ferry flawless »

Yes. I really like to write when I am alone. I like to write in an environment with a light breeze and a cool weather.
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

Sometimes! It depends on how focused I need to be right then! So I CAN write with people around, but usually, yes, I'd rather do it alone.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Yes, I like to be alone when I write. I remember when I use to get up early, like twilight early, to write and I don't know, but writing the first draft before the sun comes up and while other sleep makes me like I accomplished something.

Return to “Writing Discussion”