Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
rosemartine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by rosemartine »

I like write in alone and can't write with other persons. In presence of other persons i feel uncomfortable when i write. I love write in my room with a cup of tea.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I am usually alone when I write. But complete silence makes my ears ring. So I'll go to places that at least have some quiet noises and people around, like the library or coffee shops.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Yes, I think that most writers do. For me, it's because writing is an inner-directed activity which requires being alone. This is also works well for me.
Rodel Barnachea

Inkroverts wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:49 I am usually alone when I write. But complete silence makes my ears ring. So I'll go to places that at least have some quiet noises and people around, like the library or coffee shops.
I also do not like complete silence. For me, the best writing atmosphere is when I am alone and it is raining, the sound of rain pouring down is a nice white noise to my ears.
Rodel Barnachea

RawRis1124 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 21:43 I prefer to be alone to minimize distractions, but I do not have to be. Ideally I prefer quiet or relaxing music in the background. I also find spending time out in nature helps calm my mind which helps me focus.
Nature calms and relaxes me, so this is where I go during my writing breaks. I also find looking at the plants and animals and feeling the air or the sun inspiring.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think I have to be busy. Growing up, we had a cat and she always seemed to interrupt when I was reading (sitting on my book) or writing or drawing (sitting on my book or paper or batting at the pencil). Then I had children rather young - they were twins and kept one another occupied for the most part, but since we still had the cat, it was one of the three that wanted attention. Later, when my daughters were in school, it was a boyfriend, my daughters, two new cats, and then I got a dog. He, the dog, was by far the absolute worst at interrupting. I was trying to write papers on somewhat difficult topics at the time, like Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason which, for me anyways required a little more concentration due to Kant's manner of defining a philosophical idea (I can totally blame that on him, right?) and I would just be "getting it" and then starting writing and then my Husky-Samoyed, Bartleby, would come, wagging his tail, shuffling his paws, looking very directly at me to get my attention: First by the doorway, then a little bit closer, then a little bit closer, until finally his head was between my hands and the keyboard. I ignored him as long as I could. Every half hour or forty-five minutes. Then, in a half hour, he'd bark to be let back in and we'd start the whole process all over. SOOOOOO cute, lucky he was so cute. I think that if I weren't being interrupted, I would find something to interrupt me because it's normal to me. The interruptions had positive effects. For instance, when you are constantly interrupted, you have to sometimes reread what you just wrote to get back into the whole thing and then you notice issues with clarity. I'm referring to college critiques, I suppose. I would write to define philosophical concepts in terms that made sense to me, but when I would sit back down and reread them, I would realize that it didn't make a lot of sense to someone who doesn't 100% know the definition of a philosophical term. I hardly ever wrote fiction, but I think the same general sort of notion would apply. Like stepping back and reading what you wrote as a reader who is picking it up for the first time. If that makes any sense.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think I have to be busy. Growing up, we had a cat and she always seemed to interrupt when I was reading (sitting on my book) or writing or drawing (sitting on my book or paper or batting at the pencil). Then I had children rather young - they were twins and kept one another occupied for the most part, but since we still had the cat, it was one of the three that wanted attention. Later, when my daughters were in school, it was a boyfriend, my daughters, two new cats, and then I got a dog. He, the dog, was by far the absolute worst at interrupting. I was trying to write papers on somewhat difficult topics at the time, like Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason which, for me anyways required a little more concentration due to Kant's manner of defining a philosophical idea (I can totally blame that on him, right?) and I would just be "getting it" and then starting writing and then my Husky-Samoyed, Bartleby, would come, wagging his tail, shuffling his paws, looking very directly at me to get my attention: First by the doorway, then a little bit closer, then a little bit closer, until finally his head was between my hands and the keyboard. I ignored him as long as I could. Every half hour or forty-five minutes. Then, in a half hour, he'd bark to be let back in and we'd start the whole process all over. SOOOOOO cute, lucky he was so cute. I think that if I weren't being interrupted, I would find something to interrupt me because it's normal to me. The interruptions had positive effects. For instance, when you are constantly interrupted, you have to sometimes reread what you just wrote to get back into the whole thing and then you notice issues with clarity. I'm referring to college critiques, I suppose. I would write to define philosophical concepts in terms that made sense to me, but when I would sit back down and reread them, I would realize that it didn't make a lot of sense to someone who doesn't 100% know the definition of a philosophical term. I hardly ever wrote fiction, but I think the same general sort of notion would apply. Like stepping back and reading what you wrote as a reader who is picking it up for the first time. If that makes any sense.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Yes I do, I think my mind work out thouhtgs much better when I'm alone. And if I need company, a pair of headphones are the best to occupy that position.
Tiffany__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffany__ »

I find writing where there are a lot of people heavily distracting, being alone with ones thoughts leaves a lot of room for the imagination and you can be completely focused on what you're doing.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

aaurba wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 03:59
Inkroverts wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:49 I am usually alone when I write. But complete silence makes my ears ring. So I'll go to places that at least have some quiet noises and people around, like the library or coffee shops.
I also do not like complete silence. For me, the best writing atmosphere is when I am alone and it is raining, the sound of rain pouring down is a nice white noise to my ears.
I also love writing when its raining. Any other kind of noise is distracting.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

I write alone. My perfect setting is on my bed, some plain paper and a good pen, a cup of warm green tea or a nice brewed coffee. Usually that is not possible in a crowded house like mine but when that´s possible its perfect.
Laviey
Currently Reading: The Fear Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laviey.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Laviey »

It actually depends on whether I want to write or not. If I don’t want to write, I like to be in someone’s presence (preferably a quiet person) so that they could keep me in check from distractions as I write.
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

I like being in a public place but away from people I know when I write. When I write, I put myself out for everyone who reads it to see. I am not comfortable being vulnerable. I have been able to express my opinions fine but when it comes to my feelings, I do not like having them out for everyone to see for the risk of abuse.
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

I write music, I enjoy being alone when I do that because I need to focus. I usually try to get up early to write before my family wakes.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Yes, my thoughts run more naturally when I am alone.

Return to “Writing Discussion”