Creativity VS accuracy

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Creativity VS accuracy

Post by emidio125 »

I've been trying to write a novel, and I found it demotivating to worry to much about grammar correctness while writing my stories. Sometimes I even feel that I lost my own flow and creativity just because I got busy minding about punctuation and other grammar items.

So, I would like to hear from you: What do you think must be prioritised.
CaptainTurtle8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captainturtle8.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CaptainTurtle8 »

I am not a writer, but I would think that creativity should come before accuracy. I am assuming that the accuracy can come later after the writing is complete. Keep the creativity flowing the best you can. Good luck!
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

What ever best gets your story out of your head and into text is what you should do. It may be you need to write all your thoughts at one time then come back to them later to be sure things make sense. Some of how a person writes is related to how much editing they are willing to leave until later. At a minimum the story needs to make sense to yourself when you read over what you have done.
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

Both. Be as creative as you can, but your characters have to live by the rules of their world. Accuracy in terms of grammar and logic should always be a given. It has to make sense. Without creativity though, you're story will just flop.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Write the story, then go back and edit it. You cannot edit a blank page.
MysticSpade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticspade.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by MysticSpade »

CaptainTurtle8 wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 11:58 I am not a writer, but I would think that creativity should come before accuracy. I am assuming that the accuracy can come later after the writing is complete. Keep the creativity flowing the best you can. Good luck!
100% this! You want your readers to want to continue reading the book. It doesn't matter if your grammar and punctuation are on point if nobody wants to read it. But at the same time you don't want your readers to be distracted by errors.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

MysticSpade wrote:
CaptainTurtle8 wrote: I am not a writer, but I would think that creativity should come before accuracy. I am assuming that the accuracy can come later after the writing is complete. Keep the creativity flowing the best you can. Good luck!
100% this! You want your readers to want to continue reading the book. It doesn't matter if your grammar and punctuation are on point if nobody wants to read it. But at the same time you don't want your readers to be distracted by errors.
I agree! I wouldn't bother interrupting the flow of creativity with grammar issues. You can always go back and edit. Exceptions aside, of course. For instance, if you were writing a book for the purpose of displaying punctuation and grammar rules, then it would make sense to pay attention to the rules a little more.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I find that different writers have different writing processes. If grammatical correctness hinders your creative flow, focus on your creative writing. Grammar can always be corrected after writing or when editing.
Lukmaiha Lukmaiha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lukmaiha-lukmaiha.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Lukmaiha Lukmaiha »

To write a good book, you first have to exhaust your creativity, then return to verify accuracy. Better still mind creativity and ask another to help with the accuracy. Howbeit creativity does not respect formality, it only manifests novelty. Don't you agree with me?
Emily Pyke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-pyke.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Emily Pyke »

Creativity should always come first! That's what an editor is for!
F N Chamomile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-f-n-chamomile.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by F N Chamomile »

I've heard this one advice long time ago: You only have one head, so don't try to take two roles at the same time. Put your writer's hat when you write, and when you're done, you can replace it with your editor's hat. In other words, write first and edit later.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I think creativity is the first element because accuracy is merely an organizational element.
SamanthaGarcia
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthagarcia.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Post by SamanthaGarcia »

I can't see from a certain distance and because I have the same problem as you, I take off my glasses and choose to write without being able to see clearly what I am doing. This way I write everything I think and imagine regardless of how it looks because I know what I want to say. It helps that I also know how to read my handwriting. I do this because creativity has to come first, the idea is at its best when it's raw. Afterward, it's time to remove the rough edges. When I am ready I return to type it up, clean it, edit it, and make adjustments, but I have learned to respect the process that comes before and that is to allow the idea to speak with all its glory.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

I think as a writer, one should focus on creativity. That's the major stand-point from which a writer is judged. Accuracy is important though but you can get someone else to do the editing for you after you have perfected your creativity in creating the writing.
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

Creativity first. You can worry about the accuracy later when you finish writing.

Return to “Writing Discussion”