Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
raji kamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by raji kamar »

I think, this is a revealing question. I never thought about this before now. It made it occur to me that quitness is a natural trait of writers. Being able to write proficiently requires a writer to be observant and quietness occurs during observational period.
Tessa23Darling
Currently Reading: The Fire Within
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessa23darling.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Tessa23Darling »

I have a friend I often write with and both of us are quiet introverts. Both of our husbands are very much extroverted so she and I like to sit in peace and quiet and write while the boys take the kids for an afternoon.
Ellie_D
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-d.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Ellie_D »

I can say that i am a quiet person but it depends sometimes i am talkative with certain people.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I'm not very quiet. I like to participate in conversations and groups. But when I write for long periods of time, my girlfriend tells me I look like I'm dead to the world I'm so quiet and focused.
Spencer Mack
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I'm an introvert but if I'm with friends then I usually talk a lot. Even more ironic is that I have social anxiety so...I guess I'm kind of quiet?
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I think that it may be more common for writers to be quieter people, but I certainly don't think it's unheard of for an outgoing person to be a writer. It might be a reasonable assumption for introverts to be more of the writing type than extroverts because introverts will have far fewer problems sitting alone for long periods of time without any form of social interaction. Many extroverts (I'm basing this off of the extroverts that I know) have the ability to sit down for bits of time, but eventually their need for social interaction intervenes. Of course, there's always the balance of them just writing with others around them as opposed to isolating themselves to write.
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

I'm not exactly quiet, yet I'm not normally loud either. I think, honestly, that writers don't have to be quiet but many tend to be. Being able to have a long conversation can teach you a lot and even give you a lot of ideas to include in your works.
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by elizaron878 »

I think writers tend to be quiet,but the degree of quietness varies from one individual to another,some more quiet than others.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I am a quiet person and I love writing. However, I know many journalists who are not at all quiet or introverted.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

Definitely no. I'm very extroverted and love to talk. I can be shy but that's a result of people not being too kind to me when I was young. I think my love of storytelling makes me chatty, and I love to meet new people and use them for my writing.
Baiza ur Rehman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Baiza ur Rehman »

I my self is a quiet person and don't like to to jump into the conversation. But I like to talk in few conditions and whenever I feel free to do it. I agree with this idea because we ppl speak through our pen and jot down the sh*t we like to speak.
KathrinS
Currently Reading: The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathrins.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by KathrinS »

I used to be very quiet, but over time I am becoming more outgoing. Now I'm about average, although I do seem to need a bit more alone time than most. This is probably due to the fact that I'm also an instructor, so I am forced to communicate all day.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I too, am more quiet natured and introverted. I definitely can communicate so much better if I can write it down first. I'm more of an observer when in a group setting, and usually will not talk unless necessary.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I am a quiet person but not shy. I think writers tend to put what they do not say on paper. It has to get out some way.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
tatsueigo
Favorite Book: Murder in Orient Express
Currently Reading: A Woman's Prerogative
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by tatsueigo »

When I was a little girl I was extroverted. After some things which happened to me andò my mom I became wuiet andò introverted, just telling what really happened to me closest friends AMD such.

Return to “Writing Discussion”