Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Grant Costello
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by Grant Costello »

Oh yes, I'm a quite person, normally. Not challenged socially mind you, but more a listener and thinker. I don't blame this on writing, however. I'm an 'alone' type of person, and I socialize in moderation.
willow23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willow23.html

Post by willow23 »

i am extremely quite even though i have a ton of opinions and ideas that i would love to get out there. once you make it into my inner circle you will notice that the quietness tends to fade away because i am more comfortable with you
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm actually a perky individual. When I'm writing or thinking about something, I become profoundly quiet. So I guess you can say that I have A LOT of moments where I am quiet. I don't know if I'll completely call myself a quiet person though.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I actually don't know if I am quiet or not. I am a writer and I love to play with words so I come off as very sarcastic most of the times...and somehow I don't think I can write sarcasm very well. I was recently told that I am not very social due to my sarcasm but I use that as a way to get to know people better and have a good laugh - love laughing and one on one conversations - not groups - get really quiet in groups.
bookreviewer28
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 122

Post by bookreviewer28 »

I would say it's very common, yes! But it's definitely not a necessity and introversion/extroversion has nothing to do with how good a writer is or could be in my opinion.

However, I simply believe that because of the introverts' natural tendencies to be observers more than participants in most social situations, they often notice things their extroverted counterparts may usually miss. Things they can describe through writing should they will to. After all, almost any character in any book was probably inspired by a person the writer met or had in mind in real life, wouldn't you say? But I'm just one of the introverts and I could be biased too. :D
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I hit the extremes. If I'm not comfortable in a situation, I'll be almost completely silent. If I'm comfortable, I kinda lose impulse control and start info-dumping all over the place.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I am not quiet in the least. I have always been a very outgoing person and my family would tell you that I talk too much and often, too loud (that part would come from my mom). The only two people I know who are louder and more social than me are my husband and daughter!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Most of the time I am also a quite person. But I don't think all the writers have to be so all the time. otherwise people will see you as some antisocial psychopath
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

I'm an interesting case. As a child, I was painfully shy, almost to the point of being unable to function in society. A lot of that stemmed from bullying in elementary school. It wasn't until I was in high school that I made my first friend. It wasn't until college that I became a social butterfly. I figured out I liked talking, and doing stuff!

Now I go out and experience things for the sole purpose of being able to write about them. How good of a storyteller can I be without real-world experience, right? Turns out, I love public speaking of all things! Who would have thought? I feel like being social really gives me insight into how people talk and behave, so that I can make my characters as realistic as possible. Plus, I'm happier.
Kelsey anne
Currently Reading: Murder on the Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kelsey anne »

Usually I am pretty quiet but then again it all depends on the topic of conversation for me. Sometimes when I'm writing, I feel like I have so many ideas and they all make sense in my head but then when I try to write them down, it's like I can't find the words to say or it doesn't make sense the way it did in my head. I feel like this sometimes when I'm having conversations because I will try to explain something to someone but my words aren't sinking into their brains. Then I get frustrated so I remain quiet.
Jnlacy1102
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnlacy1102.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jnlacy1102 »

It depends on the situation. I will talk around family and friends, but I am much more quiet around strangers or people that I do not know well. It takes a few times of meeting a person and getting a feel for their personality, but after that I am fine and will socialize.
Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu »

I will generally consider myself as a bit of an introverted person, but I often find myself in public speaking situations and find no problems delivering speeches for public events.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I'm a quiet person, unless I'm in a group of people I brought together.
I prefer not to say too much usually. I'm not sure if this is general of all writers.
I dated one that was never quiet.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Absolutely. I was always the quietest in school and in social gatherings. I'm a true introvert, and I'm an INFJ, to be precise. I think quieter people have deeper wellsprings of imagination, and lots of well-known, beloved writers were introverts as well.
echoesofmj
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echoesofmj.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by echoesofmj »

I admit that I had never quite thought about it until I read your post. But now that I do, I find that I am a fairly quiet person. I think that it's mostly so that I can observe. I have a tendency to fall into the background, but that allows me to see how people interact with each other, what they do when they think nobody is watching, etc.

I find that this really benefits the whole writing process because you're able to create characters that are more realistic, more relatable, perhaps.

However, I can also be loud at times. Perhaps it's just that sometimes you can't find all the interactions you want between people - you have to experience some things by yourself so you're able to describe them better to your readers. Or so I find.

Return to “Writing Discussion”