Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
russel_ruth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russel-ruth.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by russel_ruth »

I use a laptop when I write my stories, they're easy and convenient. Others have said that it's faster to write their and we have spellcheck.

When it strikes my mood though, there's actually a very relaxing feeling when you try to write on a notepad, paper or whatnot. I guess it's similar to how people prefer to read a book rather than an e-book ^^
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I either use a computer or an android phone to type or participate in forums.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
LisaGreen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LisaGreen »

Sometime writing on page or in diary will make more impression to readers. Computer is generally used machines now days for writing and we used to it.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

For me, it's about 50/50. I like to start out by writing in my journal that my aunt (who is also a writer and retired lit professor) bought me in Ireland. (It's almost full though. LOL)

I use my laptop for expanding, developing, and revising each new draft.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I use both the computer and handwritten notepads. I often carry around a notepad and pen so I can scribble down any ideas which come into my head whilst I'm out and about. Sometimes, if I don't have a notepad, I'll type them as a note on my phone, though I prefer to do it by hand as I can visually link characters, events, settings etc. on the page.

Generally, I'll try to write the first draft by hand because then I do some editing as I type it up. I find it easier to edit 'from scratch' than when I'm just reading and checking things which are already typed. Although, it does make my hand and wrist ache an awful lot!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Runningmama
Currently Reading: Passion
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Runningmama »

My laptop provides the best way to output, but I truly prefer a nice pen and a smooth, stone paper notebook when I want to be "creative".
Amyrich

Post by Amyrich »

Yes, most of my writing does happen on the computer. I type faster than I write, so it works better to keep up with the thoughts and ideas racing through my mind. Having said that, I also always carry a small notebook around me to just jot things down. Blog/characterization ideas, impressions as I people-watch at a cafe...what have you. One of my creative writing teachers way back in high school has been very persuasive about this kind of note-taking, and it has really worked for me. I'm sure a lot of you also do some version of this, yea?
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I do my reading in my sitting room, so notes for a book review are always hand-written and sometimes very badly! I am not one to use my phone for notes unless I'm desperate, as I find using my little Samsung keyboard slow and tedious. All my writing is done on my elderly Toshiba laptop and being old enough to have learned to type on a manual typewriter- counting spaces, using correction tape, and having to start over if you change your mind about structure- I so appreciate the flexibility of modern word-processing.
When writing, I tend to brainstorm my way right through an idea or dialogue, then go back and reorganise it before continuing to the next- something that you can't do on paper.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I used to write by hand but there were times that I want to write fast but I can't and my idea fades without me jotting it down.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Though I jott down by hand, that is the first step when I've gotten a great idea to put down; but when typing it in my computer much more ideas flow into my head.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

Yes, nowadays, I use a computer to write. But I don't know why writing on a paper always seems to be appealing.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
russel_ruth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russel-ruth.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by russel_ruth »

I personally write on a computer, it's more convenient to me. You can quickly share it to your readers online.

I do like writing on paper though, snippets of conversation, how the plot goes and stuff like that.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

Personally, I find that writing on paper is easier to flesh out and develop ideas, while computer is more appropriate for revising and editing. I avoid computer at the drafting stage as the perfectly neat and black-and-white screen makes me become more judgmental to my imperfect writing, if that makes sense.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
jesdav16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesdav16.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by jesdav16 »

I prefer writing with my computer than writing by hand even though I am faster by hand. I make use oh hand only when a computer is not required.
elissasmart

Post by elissasmart »

A computer is a great opportunity not to lose a rushing thought-stream. I passed the test and I type 10 symbols per second. I always finish my fresh thought while typing, but when I write by hand I can just simply lose inspiration because hands are 30 times slower than fingers and a million times slower than my mind.

Return to “Writing Discussion”