Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by marksm121 »

mostly I prefer to write on the computer but when I get some ideas and no computer then I start writing on paper or notebook.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

Yeah, I do that most of the time. it is the easiest way to write nowadays.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Honestly, I don't like typing as much as writing by hand. It feels comfortable and I have better thoughts.
The pen feels closer than they keypad.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I actually prefer a sketchbook for writing. It offers me the freedom of a blank computer page, but is extremely portable. And sketchbooks are a lot sturdier than a typical notebook for any erasures that need to take place.
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

it depends all on the need of the situation if it's something personal i'll prefer paper , and if it's work computer is always usefull .
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

Terri2 wrote: 24 Jan 2007, 09:28 I can't write well by hand, but I can type fast, and of course typing comes out neat and clean. Plus, I have spell-checker. So, I usually write everything on the computer. Do you do that? Or, do you write some thing by hand? What do you by hand, if you do?
I rarely, if ever, write things out by hand. Assignments, short stories, poems, some random idea I had that I feel like writing down--it's all done on the computer. I spend a lot of time using a laptop and can type really, really fast there. So I always prefer that.
Maria N 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-n-1.html
Latest Review: “In Search of Jesus of Nazareth and His Original Teaching” by Paul A Weekes

Post by Maria N 1 »

No I wouldn’t say that I always use the computer to write because you will make more mistakes doing if that way . I would say grab some scratch paper and map out ur ideas first
FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

I start out with writing on paper. It always helps me clarify my mind. I have tried to use the computer before and I always feel like it's not true to myself. There is no passion in it or something. That's why I stick to paper first and follow suit with typing.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

I type faster than I write. Plus, it's neater since I usually delete something because of constant revisions. The features of a computer also help me more in writing that writing by hand can't do. For example, Grammarly and Markdown features.
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

If it's a short story, then by hand. Otherwise, definitely computer.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

No! Most times, I don't use the computer to write unless it's something that requires its sole use. I use my phone to do most of my writings of any sort and I find it much easier and fulfilling.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

I don't use a computer to do any writing. That's why my mobile phone is here. Using computers is only when the work requires it. Bit these days, you can do virtually almost anything using your mobile devices. And that's what I use.
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kipper_ »

I'm surprised to find that a lot of people here still enjoy writing on paper for their stories. It definitely encourages a certain level of deliberation with word that other writing machines don't quite replicate, for better or for worse. I like writing by hand for short ideas like poems, but I've found that a computer is much more efficient. (Plus, no worries of hand pain.) Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has used their mobile phone for content too--that's my go-to for out-and-about notes.
Comfort Ansah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort-ansah.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Comfort Ansah »

I usually write on my phone a lot using SEO tools. I find it very convenient as I can write anywhere I find myself. It's very convenient for me and very handy too.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Yes, nowadays it is more convenient to write on your computers or laptops rather than by hand. Notepads on your smartphones are also way easier, coz it is always in your hand!
For me, I cannot write a whole lot of paragraphs on my phone, it's so tiring. I prefer my desktop for detailed writing. I use the smartphone for something that just clicked up my mind and I have to note it down ASAP! Several times I also use paper and pen for writing scattered ideas and I find it more convincing, writing by hand.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."

Return to “Writing Discussion”