Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Bri Munnich
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-munnich.html

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by Bri Munnich »

As a published author I actually despise typing on the computer. My brain thinks faster than my fingers can type so I forget my ideas. Also, the computer makes it so easy to change things and so I second guess myslef and change things.

I really enjoy writing my stories put in pen in my notebook. For me it holding a page of my "book" between my fingers is nostaglic and feel real.
emthomas1
Reading Device: B0163GNS5S

Post by emthomas1 »

My penmanship hasn't progressed since my years in elementary school. That flaw, combined with my ability to type very fast, means that I overwhelmingly prefer the computer.

On a more functional level, I enjoy the freedom of tinkering with a paragraph or chapter by digital means; I've copy and pasted sections at times so that I can tinker with them and compare the results side by side.

All that being said, I have great admiration for those that do it totally by hand!
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha,

I writed by hand first. I still use pencil, and paper. I keep a set in my purse, etc.

I then type it. I use either Mac or Windows( Sorry for the added information.)

Blessings ?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I like to brainstorm on paper and I feel like physically writing things makes me more motivated? Seeing actual pages filled with my writing is just more motivational that knowing I wrote 14 pages on Word. However, after a first draft if I do it on paper, I type it on the computer and edit there.
My weekend is all booked!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Computer - always!! It's so much quicker and so much more convenient. The spell check obviously helps as well.
Jonathan Trapman

Post by Jonathan Trapman »

Always! I have a great fountain pen which I use to make notes when out and about but come back to my writing desktop and write away.
At 66 I have grown up with keyboards and never felt comfortable writing a full novel or other by pen. Ideas flow much better through the board.
HANDHELDS - FORGET IT - I mean why anyone wishes to put themselves through purgatory trying to battle minuscule taps and serial killing spellchecks:
How did I grow up with keyboards being 66?
First the piano then when Apple made their first I was in and at 'em!!
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

I do now. When I very first went back to writing, I had become a daily computer user...but my mind only remembered paper. I had to walk away, pick up a legal pad and pen, and only then could I write.

However, that was a very long time ago. Now, it's not so much that I don't like a pen and paper, but most everything I write needs to end up being on the computer in the end. I may as well start and edit there.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I actually generally write on my phone. I prefer the smaller keyboard and it is a lot easier to do, plus then I have my privacy because people can't see what I am doing on my phone.
Timothy Trimble
Currently Reading: The Replaced
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Timothy Trimble »

I do all of my writing via computer, tablet, or phone. I use a combination of Evernote and Scrivener, and I store my files in Dropbox. However, I recently have felt a strange desire to own a moleskin book and write something by hand, even though my handwriting is the pits.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I first write what I want to write on a piece of paper (reviews, assignments etc) and then write them into the computer. I don't know why but I am not able to concentrate much when I am writing in the computer.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I take notes with pen and paper while reading but my actual writing is done on the computer.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I prefer the computer because of the spell checking of course, but sometimes I like to write by hand especially when I write my journal.
Zoey141
Currently Reading: elephant vanishes
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Zoey141 »

Although I love using pen and paper, I can't write too fast due to my arthritis. I find the computer really useful. Also, I can use writing softwares that help me set writing goals and track my progress. I personally find Focus Write useful.
StephThyng
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephthyng.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by StephThyng »

To take notes I will use a pen and paper, but to write full reviews or articles, I find that I can type out my thoughts and ideas a lot faster than I can write them down on paper.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Sean Wheeler
Bookshelf Size: 3
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Flying Boy

Post by Sean Wheeler »

Nowadays, I'm always on the computer.

Return to “Writing Discussion”