What do you like most about book reviewing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Re: What do you like most about book reviewing?

Post by clint_csperry-org »

Seeing what works and doesn't. Getting a broader reading base, meaning across many genre's. And I think having to force myself into using proper grammar. All of these things work to better my own writing efforts.
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I like that it gives me something to do with my time. I hate being idle and having nothing to do. To be able to read like I did when I was a kid and now gain something from it has been really great. :)
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

I have found through book reviewing that I read books I would not typically choose. It has really pushed me to try other genres. I enjoy the reading as well as being challenged to compose and write a review. It really challenges all areas of literacy.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

It gives me a reason to read more books. Before I'd always tell myself- I'll have time later- and don't really read many books.
Now I have a deadline.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I like that I'm exposed to different kinds of books, ones I would not ordinarily read. And writing the review is terrific for improving my writing skills. I give myself an artificial maximum of 500 words and polish my review to stay within that limit. This cuts down on meandering sentences and makes me focus on the important points.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

Accepting books to review is a great opportunity to find new authors from all over the world with different ideas and different writing patterns. Plus I really enjoy in trying hard to write the best review that the book deserve.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

I've read a lot of books that I wouldn't normally have picked up. And hopefully, our feedback will help the writer to improve future editions of their books or their future writing.

Also, I find the feedback from the editors about the quality of my writing extremely helpful!
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

Getting to read new ideas, period. And learn the nuances of the language along the way. That's how I learnt English, really, being a non-native speaker.
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman
Kris5911
Favorite Book: Boundaries
Currently Reading: Follow Me
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kris5911.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kris5911 »

As others have said, book reviewing is a great learning process for me as I watch how an author builds his story and characters. Finding flaws causes me to reflect on my own work, and finding a near-perfect manuscript gives me joy and encouragement that someone else realizes that their choice of words and how they use them does matter.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I remember the book more and longer when I write reviews. Reviews also help authors and fellow readers so it's both enjoyable and meaningful for me.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

It encourages me to read more. I have the terrible habit of getting distracted and move from one thing to the next and never finish anything. Imposing deadlines and a responsibility urges me to finish a book. The need to proofread for a review also forces me to pay attention, which helps my own understanding of language.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

Reviewing both gives me a way to read books now without feeling like I don't have time for books anymore. It also makes me conscious on how I'm writing. The fact that I can earn money for doing what I love is just the cherry on top.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I get enjoyment out of the whole process. First, I get to choose a book. There is a level of excitement while finding my next victim. Then the enjoyment of reading the story. However, my favorite part is the thrill of having your review published!
VISHWA129
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishwa129.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by VISHWA129 »

I love reviewing books because I've been doing it in my head for at least the last five years of my life, and now I have a chance to really sit and evaluate a book for the purpose of something than my own satisfaction. In some ways, it's helped me grow as a reader and understand the work that gets put into writing a book, and it's also helped me understand why I love certain books more than others and which elements of a story stick out most to me.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

It helps with writing practice and deepens my understanding of books structurally. It gets you used to critique so you know where you went wrong. The deadlines encourage me to get through a book. Things I read for leisure usually get buried in an ongoing pile as I move to other things.

Return to “Writing Discussion”