What do you like most about book reviewing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
jaguilar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaguilar.html

Re: What do you like most about book reviewing?

Post by jaguilar »

I like having the chance to put my educated opinion to work in the literary world. Reviewing also gives me the opportunity to help authors make sure they have conveyed the messages they intended to convey and lead the reader down the thought path they had intended to generate the emotional journey needed to get the most out of the subject matter.
miztree46
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miztree46.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by miztree46 »

I like that I get to read stories by undiscovered writers who are very talented. :D
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

The free books :)
Eleko14
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: Mary Stewarts Merlin Series
Currently Reading: The Alchemist of Souls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleko14.html
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Eleko14 »

I am a pretty vocal person, when it comes to my opinion, on books and movies etc. But, for the most part, I only share with my family. I enjoy book reviewing because I have a chance to share my view with other readers. I also think it helps me become a better reader, and writer, because I have to think critically. Plus it gives me an excuse to read more :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I like writing reviews for books that don't have a lot of reviews yet. From a writer's point of view, I know how exciting it is to get a review from a "stranger" as opposed to a family member or friend, so I love knowing that I am one of the first to help them out on their path to becoming a successful author.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I most like the big money I get!

Just kidding, folks --- like most book reviewers, I get to keep the book as "payment" and that's it.

I write reviews for a mystery e-zine and therefore I review maybe 5-6 books a month.

I like this because I'm a private detective novelist myself and I can read new mystery books and get ideas to steal! (kidding again!) -- I love to read and enjoy mysteries, so getting free mysteries to read is a treat.

As for writing the reviews, I try to write a short essay about the book and its setting. Reviews that just summarize the plot are "high school" style and nobody like spoilers. Instead I try to provide a little "story", in the general mode of NY Times or New Yorker type reviews -- for example, a recent excellent mystery set in 1st century Imperial Rome and I wrote about Roman history (I'm a history buff) and talked about how difficult it is for an historic author to create the setting without lecturing.

So I talk about writing in general, the book's themes, the way the author describes surroundings and characters, and try to avoid any spoilers.

Naturally I like to write so writing book reviews serves several things for me, entertainment, a way to broaden my author's view, and in a slightly selfish way, to get my name out there. I've met and had good interchange with several top authors as a result.

And it's fun!
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

I too like to challenge myself a little and hone my own writing skills while getting to be one of the first people to read a new book. Also, as was said before, I can't pass up free books . . .
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

1. To inspect the book. Making notes.
2. Helping authors getting audience their book deserves.
3. Looking for different ways to start the review. I find starting it difficult.
Read, read & eat then read some more
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

If you have difficulty starting the review, just don't focus on the book's plot and then try to summarize it. Instead, consider what the book made you ponder or what fresh idea the book presented, and start talking about that. Discuss the author's motives and purpose, how the author brought these forward. That's what I do and it helps me start writing the review.
ShawHamp
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Favorite Book: Memory of Light
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by ShawHamp »

I've been reviewing children's books for the Missouri Book Review Board for several months now and I have to say I've enjoyed reading more because of it. It's really made me not just follow the story, which is how I typically read, but it also makes me pay attention to how well the author writes, (for pictures books) how the illustrations relate and make sense, does the story move quickly, is it engaging across a broad scale, what did I take away/learn from it, and more. While I've been an avid reader for longer than I can remember, actually writing reviews of books really has helped me appreciate a good book more so than just reading a bunch, which had always been my approach. That, and I think it's helping with my own writing and development, which is definitely a plus if I want to make it a career, right? Practice makes perfect? :wink:
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html

Post by rida »

moderntimes wrote:If you have difficulty starting the review, just don't focus on the book's plot and then try to summarize it. Instead, consider what the book made you ponder or what fresh idea the book presented, and start talking about that. Discuss the author's motives and purpose, how the author brought these forward. That's what I do and it helps me start writing the review.

That sounds good. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind
Read, read & eat then read some more
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

The main thing, rida, is to not try to summarize the story line or plot and call it a "review" -- that's how it's done in high school but an adult-level review discusses the motives of the author, the settings of the book, maybe characters that are memorable in the novel, etc. In other words, an "essay" about the book you're reviewing. Try those topics and see if that helps.
Carlg1971

Post by Carlg1971 »

I like discovering the writing style of the author and his or her ideas. I like to discover what topics are particularly cutting edge and new and how these ideas are implemented into their stories and novels
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Is anyone going to be honest and just say the real reason they like book reviewing? Free books? Anyone? 8)
I tease...
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Free books are a nice side benefit but considering the time I waste reading and reviewing awful books? It's a tossup.

Getting mystery books to review does let me learn how the competition is working, and in a few cases, lets me become acquainted with an author whose book I really liked.

And of course the pleasure of reading a new novel that I wouldn't have otherwise found. That's, for me, the best benefit of being a reviewer.

Return to “Writing Discussion”