How did you learn to write well?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Re: How did you learn to write well?

Post by mewsmash »

Through pure practice, writing in all different genres of writing. Don't just learn how to write one type of story, expand your interests and write poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and anything else you desire.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
whomeqqqq
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by whomeqqqq »

i realised that i had to
have something to say
and then organise it first

i am always learning
but with 50+ years experience i do more teaching than learning now

Terri2 wrote:I don't mean simply learning how to read and write in elementary school. I mean, how did you learn how to write as a profession or hobby? Was it in school? Through practice? Or, something else?

Are you still learning?
caryjr73
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 333
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caryjr73.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir

Post by caryjr73 »

Practice, tons of reading, and of course writing. Having someone read what you have written is of tremendous help as well.
Central
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-central.html

Post by Central »

I've been writing as a hobby for years. Not anything big, just a few stories to keep my friends entertained, but I notice that the quality of writing varies greatly depending on genre, character personalities, and story length. For example, I'm terrible at writing a long romantic story involving troublemaking teenagers but I can write a good short, slice-of-life story about a quiet old mountain man.

Writing well for me was less about practice and more about finding the right niche for my kind of writing style. Having one of my friends proofread my work also helped a lot.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I would say that I am definitely still learning how to write. I'm learning my craft by continuing to write. That's how I'm learning to write better reviews. I read other people's reviews and I practice writing my own. The more you read and write, the better writer you'll become.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I've read a lot of online guides for technical stuff, like how three-act structure works, how to cut out excessive words, and where to leave "holes," for the reader to fill in themself.

Then I try to spot those techniques in other writing and see what works and what doesn't, and then try to practice doing specific things myself.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I am not sure how I learnt to write. My first memories of writing are from when I was about seven or eight. I don't even remember much of my life from before that age. There isn't a writer in my family, so I don't think anyone directly sparked the interest in me. However, my mum always bought me novels and encouraged me to read. I know that till today, reading inspires me to write most times. So, maybe I learnt to write through reading; just maybe.
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

I pretty much learned by writing myself, from reading, and from my creative writing teacher.

I'm still learning about writing, but I'm way better at writing than I was 3 - 4 years ago (when I started to take it seriously).
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

I am still learning however, the little I can do for now I learned by constantly reading books, no matter the genre.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I have been writing essays since I was a kid. It is compulsory in our schools to practice writing of essays whether book based or research based. The practice is beneficial to all.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

In med school, they tell us practice makes different, writing is no different. writing daily will show significant improvements over time. a simple example is how we all laugh at our writings from 5 years ago and notice how we are much better now.

learning new vocabulary and reading books are tools that will help you to subconsciously improve your style and language.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Learning never stops especially as a writer. There are always going to be things you can improve on. As it relates to the subject question, I learned to write by reading. English isn't even my mother tongue. 2008/2009 was a peak year for me in terms of how many books I'd read during that period. That was when I knew I wanted to become a writer. Part of the reason I read so many books was because I was looking for a specific storyline and I didn't find it. So, I decided I'd start writing my own stories to suit my reader needs.

If you don't read you won't have the necessary tools to write. I think a book written by an avid reader is likely to have a more "enriched" narrative. That's just me. There are always writing classes you can take but some tend to be too hung up on the technicalities of writing causing some students not to develop their own unique style. Rather what they try to do is imitate whomever has been put on a pedestal by the tutor/professor. That's just from my experience.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

You never really stop 'learning.' Reading different books with opposing styles and genres really helps in developing my own writing style. Taking notes of how the author expresses the character's feelings helps immensly too. Of course, consistant practice is essential.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Yes of course , I am still learning. My writing was much polished in school when I studied literature. Yet it need improvements and I am constantly working on that
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Practice. Practice. Practice. Read. Practice. Critique Group. Practice. Practice. Practice. Never give up. You're always learning.

Return to “Writing Discussion”