Fan Fiction

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Fan Fiction

Post by Inkroverts »

Anyone knows "Blue Sky" the Portal 2 fanfiction? It's extremely well-received and even has its own fans drawing illustrations and making videos of it.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I used to write fan fiction before in my head, haha. I suggest you read about different fan fiction tropes. From there, you can get ideas and write with that as your guide.
Rodel Barnachea

Paliden wrote: 24 May 2014, 10:09 I don't write Fan Fiction but I do read it. I like fanfiction.com I actually found that one years ago because of fictionpress.com but there is some good fan fiction on there. I personally like the Wheel of Time fan fiction and the LOTR.
The site where I find most of the fanfiction I try to read is archiveofourown.org. I suggest you check that out. Most of my friends who read fan fiction also read from this.
Rodel Barnachea

AliceRose wrote: 17 Sep 2013, 16:08
Zain wrote:Good old fanfiction ... yes, I have some great memories and from time to time I still indulge myself. There's some great stuff out there, and then there are works which just make you groan in agony. It's actually funny that some people see fanfictions as child's play, considering that many authors started out there with their career. Take Cassandra Clare for example.
This, for me, is where the problem lies. In my opinion, Cassandra Clare relies way too heavily on other people's style of writing... J. K. Rowling's, mainly, with a dash of Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Fanfiction is entertaining to read online, but when something that was originally fanfiction becomes a published work, it's hard to distinguish whether that can be classed as plagiarism, just with a few name changes.
I don't think it would be plagiarism if it is the same author who wrote the fanfiction and the published work. An example is E. L. James. She wrote Fifty Shades of Grey originally as a erotic fanficion of Twilight. I don't think James plagiarized herself, do you?
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I enjoy fanfiction. I'm especially partial to "What If?" stories in which the writer diverges from a given canonical event. Simply rehashing the original story strikes me a largely pointless, unless you're telling it from a character's point of view. For example, what would the Harry Potter story be like if Hermione or Neville had been the POV character?

I like stories that ask the question, "What if Character X had done Y?"
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

ive written fanfiction before! the only tip i can give you is dont sweat too much, dont worry about your writing following up exactly to the canon. you can just wing it
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

There are no rules in fan fiction. It's like a coin if you think about it; you have those who think it is expressive and a new scope to an originally existing story and then you also have those who think it is disrespectful to the original author. Either way, it is a form of pure literary expression so, go nuts!
Brittany Tatman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-tatman.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Post by Brittany Tatman »

I owe a lot of my current writing habits and style to my stint in Hobbit/Lord of the Rings fanfiction (which I still dip back into every now and then when I pop back into the fandom because it feels so much like home). My piece of advice: enjoy every single second of being as self-indulgent as you possibly can. Don't do what's cool or trending just to get popular. Work hard, but likes and follows won't feed you (unless you actually are getting paid, in which case sign me up), so don't let it consume your every thought.
LY_Rachel
Currently Reading: 24 Hours at Waterloo
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ly-rachel.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles

Post by LY_Rachel »

Fanfiction was what got me started into writing in the first place. I always had motivation problems when trying to start an original story. I could barely get to five pages. But fanfic? Here's fifty pages, way too many words for something that will never be posted because it's unfinished, and wow, I don't know why I made this. But you know what? It was fun. I enjoyed writing it, I enjoyed making it, and that's what mattered in the end.

IMO, Fanfiction is your interpretation of the characters, the plot, the story. "What's canon" doesn't mean much when we throw it into the trash and make up an entire new story. (Well, don't ignore all of canon– but you get what I mean.) Like people have said here, it's a very self-indulgent thing so dedicate it to yourself, not other people.
Kirana Lin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Kirana Lin »

I've written fanfiction ever since I was fourteen, on Fanfiction.net. Until now, I still write them for my favorite fandoms. It's very fun and I enjoy writing them the most. Right now I focus more on Ao3.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I have only written then in my rough works, but never polished or posted them. I never realized it was hard because I wrote about the things I wanted my favorite characters to do and experience. I suppose because the crazy fans never attacked me, and I misconceived that fanfiction was easy.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

I used to write some fan-fiction 😭
My friends and I sometimes make up stories about fandoms we’re in and I’m tasked with writing them down. Fan-fiction can be weird but is also really cool, especially when it’s written accurate to the actual book/movie.
all’s fair in love and poetry
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

Fan fiction is all I've written for the past few years and I have to say, it taught me a lot. Figuring out story structure and stakes with characters you already know before moving on to writing entirely original stuff is just so useful and I feel a much better writer for it.

Return to “Writing Discussion”